Andy Fletcher's Restaurant

Elizabeth Clarke

Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
I heard it was in Hampstead, London & it's very good - does anyone know the
name or address

Liz

elizabet...@virgin.net

mdev...@netcomuk.co.uk

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99

Elizabeth

I went there last Friday ... here's my account of the evening as
posted to the Bong Mailing List (so I apologise to anyone on the
newsgroup who have seen this before). Details such as the address,
phone number and the standard menu are at the bottom of this post.

Devious

================

Two months had passed since the last UK Moders' visit to
Andy Fletcher's restaurant in London, so Woj, Rachel and I
booked a table at Gascogne for Friday night. We were joined
by the lovely - if overawed - Tina. Tina was over from New
York for the week to see, amongst others, her old friend
Kevin who made up our fivesome.

As I've said before, Friday night is a good time to go to
Gascogne should you want to run into the establishment's
owner. Friday, 30 April 1999 marked my third visit and the
third time of seeing Fletch. This 100% record has got to end
at some stage, but long may it continue!

Andy, as usual, was in good spirits as he "held court" at the
bar. He spent most of the night there with Gareth Jones and
Marek Lieberberg (the German promoter celebrated in Bong
26). If their presence held any significance, I can't tell you
what it was because, this time, we were positioned some
distance from "the action".

(Devious's tip for anyone going to Gascogne - book a table
close to the bar. If the management ask you why you want to
sit there, say you've got a weak bladder, because the 'Gents'
and 'Ladies' are also nearby!).

Anyway, Fletch never refuses a photo opportunity with one
or two, or in this case five fans. We also managed to get him
to reveal that Grainne had abandoned him - but only for the
week - in order to spend some time in New York. Andy said
that, as a result, he had been very busy. I said this was
probably because he's had to do the washing up and
Hoovering for a change. Fletch laughed.

Rachel asked him to confirm that she had seen Martin in the
vicinity just a couple of weeks before. Fletch said that it was
almost certainly him. However, as for his whereabouts on
Friday, Andy said that Martin had called him that afternoon
from Edinburgh. Fletch said to Martin "What the hell are you
doing in Edinburgh?", to which Martin, apparently, replied "I
don't know, I just got on a train and that's where I ended up."

Now, before anyone around here asks whether Martin Gore is
a keen rail traveller, or whether he'd been drafted by the
Scottish National Party to make a speech calling for Scottish
independence (a la Sean Connery), I can reveal that neither is
true. Why? Because Fletch went on to add that the trip was
part of a "Two day binge" (in other words a 48 hour drinking
session) that Martin had said he was planning to go on.

At the risk of rambling on about what else happened on
Friday, I'll leave that to Woj, Rachel and Tina, who have
probably got their own versions of events. Suffice to say, I
had another brilliant time thanks to you guys. (Btw, was my
contribution towards the bill enough, or do I need to put more
into the "whip" for next time?).

Yours in Mode

Devious
"I'm talking to you now ... The fire still burns" (Insight)

PS If you want to know more about Gascogne, here are a
few details:

GASCOGNE
12 Blenheim Terrace, London NW8 (0171-625-7034 or
0171-625-7036)
St.John's Wood Tube
Open: 11.00am-11.30pm Mon-Sat; 11.00am-10.30pm Sun
Lunch served: 12.30pm-2.30pm
Dinner served: 6.30pm-10.30pm, daily
House wine: £8.95 per bottle, £2.25 per glass
Mineral water: £3.00 per bottle, £1.00 per glass
Credit cards: American Express, MasterCard, Visa.

STARTERS
Soup of the day - £4.50
Potato skins with sour cream and chilli sauce - £3.95
Baby spinach salad with grilled pepper, pinenuts and poached
egg dressed with lemon sauce and olive oil - £5.95
Chicken satay with peanut sauce - £4.50
Diver scallops with a tarragon hollandaise sauce - £6.25
Vegetable tempura served in a potato basket - £4.95

MAIN COURSES
Fillet steak served with all the trimmings - £13.95
Vegetable red curry served with lemon rice - £8.95
Honey glazed lamb cutlets with creamed potatoes - £10.95
Crisp duck served with pancakes spring onion and cucumber
- £8.50
Grilled fillet of salmon with a cherry tomato and coriander
salad - £9.95
Ricotta and spinach pancakes with a red pepper sauce - £9.50
Salad nicoise with flaked tuna - £9.95
Pasta of the day - £8.50

SIDE ORDERS
Mixed salad - £2.00
Gascogne fries - £2.00
Vegetables of the day - £2.00

12.5% service added.

RC

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
What a great story! I've been to London twice in the last 16 months and
went to Gasgone's
three times when I was there. Once on the first trip, two on the second
(which was about
eight weeks ago now). All three times I saw Fletch there. The last night we
ate there
(3/6/99), we were lucky enough to see Martin there as well. We sat five feet
from the
bar (the second table for two on the right when you walk in). At first I
didn't know
it was Martin at the bar. He was blocked by two other plain clothed ordinary
looking
older gentleman. By that I mean, nothing flashy. Didn't think they were in
"the business"
at all. Fletch was on the end by the wall next to some woman (we couldn't
figure out if it was his wife or not). We kept hearing Martin this and
Martin that.
Well, I couldn't take it any longer so I got up to go to the bathroom. On
the way back,
I could see the faces of the people that were facing the bar. Indeed, it was
Martin.
Wearing a black cap, black horn rimmed glasses and a huge (fake) furry coat.
At one point, he took the hat off to expose the long bleach blond locks.
Everyone seemed
to be having a great time. As were me and my friend. I swear I'd eat there
even if I weren't
a DM fan. The food is magnificant! Our waitress that night was Caroline,
who is
from New Zealand now living in London. She was the best waitress I've ever
had.
So personable and friendly. Didn't bother us but I felt like at first we
were bothering
her. I don't blame a female if two guys try to talk to them. Must seem
imposing
or like we have some hidden agenda. But she was extremely cool. I was
celebrating
my birthday there that night and she brought over a round of shots on the
house and
I insisted she join us. She did. My friend and I did the whole 9 yards
that night. Drinks,
appetizers, drinks, dinner, drinks, dessert, drinks, drinks and did I
mention drinks?
Back to Fletch, Martin and their three friends. They were knocking back
quite a few drinks
having a great time. Fletch was drinking white wine and smoking. Martin,
beer in a bottle.
At one point a cab driver walks in and yells "Cab for Martin!??" (He had no
clue who
he was). Apparently Martin had called for a cab but wasn't out front
waiting for
it like he should and the cab driver was pissed (to say the least). Martin
turned around
and very politely said "I'll be with you in two minutes". Even smiling. The
cab driver yells
"Hurry up, you got me blocking the street. BLOODY HELL!!" And stormed out.
They all laughed. As did a few people who were eating dinner. Martin tries
pay and I think Fletch waved him off like "Don't worry about it". Martin
says his
goodbyes and turns to walk out. Beer in hand. You go Martin! I nodded and
said
"Hi" when he walked by. He said "Hi" back. So you see, unfortunately
unlike
yourself, I didn't go up to Fletch or Martin to talk to them. I'm not real
big on approaching
famous people. Unless I have something unique to say I don't want to make a
fool of
myself or come across looking like an idiot. Not to mention I had too many
drinks
to compose myself (you know, calm, cool and collective). It was enough I
was that close
to them the two hours I was there. A great great GREAT night. And the best
way
to end a great vacation. My last night in London that is. Oh, and if you
ever go again, please
ask for Caroline as your waitress. You won't be sorry :)

Cheers,
Rob

bote...@gmail.com

May 13, 2014, 6:00:06 PM5/13/14
On Monday, April 26, 1999 8:00:00 AM UTC+1, Elizabeth Clarke wrote:
> I heard it was in Hampstead, London & it's very good - does anyone know the
> name or address
>
> Liz
>
> elizabet...@virgin.net

Hi Does Fletch still own this restaurant ?

Mark Smith

Mar 22, 2022, 1:41:53 AM3/22/22
Is this conversation still alive? It would be great if the restaurant still existed.

Ian Davies

Aug 15, 2022, 1:48:55 PM8/15/22
Andy sold his interest in the business some years ago and the restaurant is no longer there.

OldbieOne

Jan 26, 2023, 2:56:49 PM1/26/23

"Ian Davies" <acidpr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That's a shame