Who recorded Hush first?

已查看 264 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

notbob

未读,
2006年4月3日 19:01:572006/4/3
收件人
Hi. I'm new, here and will probably be gone after this question is
answered, but who cares, right? Anyway, the question is, who
recorded, and had a minor hit with the song Hush before Deep Purple
made it the monster hit it became? I know someone did, because it was
on all the Nashville stations several months before DP's version came
out and blew it into obscurity. Anyone remember who it was? My
geezer memory is long gone. Thanks.

nb

Echoplex

未读,
2006年4月3日 19:58:092006/4/3
收件人
It was Joe South, an American pop singer who also wrote "Down in the
Boondocks", "Games People Play" and "Walk a Mile in My Shoes".

Scoot

未读,
2006年4月3日 20:05:002006/4/3
收件人
Joe South...he had a minor hit with it HUSH before DP recorded it.
Their version of Joes song was later sampled for PM Dawns hit "Downtown
Venus". Among other tunes he wrote; "Down In The Boondocks" Recorded
by Billy Joe Royal. Loretta Lynn had a huge hit with his song, "(I
never promised you a) Rose Garden" He also wrote "Walk A Mile In my
Shoes" & "Don't It Make You Want To Go Home."
In 1969, Joe won a grammy for his song, GAMES PEOPLE PLAY.

Singer/songwriter Joe South (born Joe Souter) began his career as a
country musician, performing on an Atlanta radio station and joining

Pete Drake's band in 1957. The following year, he recorded a novelty
single, "The Purple People Eater Meets the Witch Doctor," and became a
session musician in Nashville and at Muscle Shoals. South appeared on
records by Marty Robbins, Eddy Arnold, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett,
Bob Dylan (Blonde on Blonde), and Simon & Garfunkel

South took several years off after his brother's suicide in 1971,
moving to Maui and living in the jungles. He had proven a rather
prickly character, recording a song entitled "I'm a Star"; he was also
busted for drugs and, never entirely comfortable performing, was known
for an antagonistic stance in concert (he once suggested that audience
members start dancing around the concert hall and kiss his ass as they
approached the stage). South briefly returned in 1975 with the Midnight
Rainbows LP but retired from recording and performing soon afterwards.
South returned in 1994 in a London concert showcasing American Southern
performers and has since re-entered the music publishing industry.

Hope that helps....

Scoot
SDG

notbob

未读,
2006年4月3日 20:39:312006/4/3
收件人
On 2006-04-04, Scoot <sfe...@aol.com> wrote:

> Hope that helps....

Arrghhh!! That's not it, but yes, it helps. This is killing me. I
seem to remember the song being of slower tempo, but sung in
harmony by a group, definitely not just a solo singer. I think I even had
the album for a couple years before it was stolen.

None of these are the one I remember:

"According to Arnold Rypens in his book The Originals, Joe South has
cited an old gospel song Hush, Somebody's Calling My Name as an
influence in writing "Hush". (Thanks to Kees van der Hoeven.)

Hush has also been recorded, for example, by Jimmy Frey (1968), Blue
Suede (in 1975 medley), Dan Baird (with Joe South, 1996) and Gotthard
(1998)."

http://www.poparchives.com.au/feature.php?id=499

Is there a website with that big ol' book like you used to see in
record stores like Tower Records that had all the names, artists, and
Album names?

nb

Daniele Purrone

未读,
2006年4月4日 11:49:392006/4/4
收件人
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> Anyway, the question is, who
> recorded, and had a minor hit with the song Hush before Deep Purple
> made it the monster hit it became?

I've read several times that the most popular version, before Purple's,
was Billy Joe Royal's one.
But I wasn't even born back then :-)

Daniele

--
"Well could it be the pressure that I'm under...
Makes me forget the things I never said!" (IG - 2005)

notbob

未读,
2006年4月4日 12:06:042006/4/4
收件人
On 2006-04-04, Daniele Purrone <avataro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've read several times that the most popular version, before Purple's,
> was Billy Joe Royal's one.
> But I wasn't even born back then :-)

No, not Billie Joe Royal. I'm beginning to doubt my memory is even
correct about the song, Hush. But, thanks to all who answered.

nb

talbot...@gmail.com

未读,
2019年8月13日 23:06:302019/8/13
收件人
Jumping in on an old post here. Notice that on the Beatles song "A Day In the Life" John Lennon lifts the exact same melody and chords as the "Na na na nas" on Hush? Coincidence? I think not.

Bruce Scott

未读,
2019年9月2日 07:47:472019/9/2
收件人
On Monday, April 3, 2006 at 5:01:57 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> Hi. I'm new, here and will probably be gone after this question is
> answered, but who cares, right? Anyway, the question is, who
> recorded, and had a minor hit with the song Hush before Deep Purple
> made it the monster hit it became? I know someone did, because it was
> on all the Nashville stations several months before DP's version came
> out and blew it into obscurity. Anyone remember who it was? My
> geezer memory is long gone. Thanks.

Like you I (very vaguely) remember hearing that song and then also well
after the fact the Deep Purple version which was somewhat but not _so_
different. But I was a kid in 1967 and memories do fade...

There is a Wikipedia page for the original version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_(Billy_Joe_Royal_song)

Youtube has all the versions (probably didn't in 2006)

--
ciao, Bruce

purple...@gmail.com

未读,
2020年1月28日 20:11:412020/1/28
收件人
Ohio Express recorded Hush. They sang songs for "The Archies" I believe.

Bruce Scott

未读,
2020年2月3日 08:03:142020/2/3
收件人
On 2020-01-29, purple...@gmail.com <purple...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ohio Express recorded Hush. They sang songs for "The Archies" I believe.

It is not on the singles discog on the Ohio Express wikipedia page.
What album was it on and when?

This page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_(Billy_Joe_Royal_song)
has it written by Joe South for Billy Joe Royal. It is from Nov
1967. Is there an earlier version?

--
ciao, Bruce

Mauvebleu

未读,
2021年9月9日 16:14:182021/9/9
收件人
It was Deep Purples

Mauvebleu

未读,
2021年9月9日 16:16:212021/9/9
收件人
Le lundi 3 avril 2006 à 19 h 01 min 57 s UTC-4, notbob a écrit :
0 个新帖子