Brian Connolly dies

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

SAD NEWS JUST IN....

BRIAN Connolly, 52, the leader of Sweet, the "glam-rock" band
that outraged 1970s parents by appearing decked in glitter and caked
in heavy make-up, died yesterday from kidney failure. The half-brother of
the late actor Mark McManus, who played Taggart in the television detective
series, Connolly enjoyed the excessive lifestyle of a 1970s rock star. At
the height of his success he had eight cars, a yacht and a mansion, but was
most recently living in a council house and drawing unemployment benefit.
He made no secret of the rock-and-roll lifestyle he had enjoyed, saying:
"They were wild, crazy days and nights, but booze was my downfall rather
than drugs."He renounced alcohol after two heart attacks. While recovering
from the second, his heart stopped six times. Doctors said it was
miraculous he had survived. Connolly was planning to revive the band for a
stage show next year, but he had another heart attack in January. He died
in hospital in Slough, Berks.Sweet's guitarist Andy Scott said:
"Everybody's image of Sweet was Brian. It was what he was put on this earth
for."

R.I.P, Brian.
KB.

Andrew Patrick Dillon

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97

Been lurking for ages, not too bothered to get involved but this provoked
me. For those of us who grew up in the 70s the Sweet really were something
(not sure exactly what but they cccupied some part of that space known as
our musical awakening) Sad to see him die, sadder to see the state of him
recently on t.v. too looking back at the 70s. God bless him. I'll have to
dig out Desolation Boulevard tonight.

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk wrote: > > SAD NEWS JUST

ccgt

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97
to kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk wrote:

> SAD NEWS JUST IN....
>
> BRIAN Connolly, 52, the leader of Sweet, the "glam-rock" band
> that outraged 1970s parents by appearing decked in glitter and caked
> in heavy make-up, died yesterday from kidney failure. The half-brother of
> the late actor Mark McManus, who played Taggart in the television detective
> series, Connolly enjoyed the excessive lifestyle of a 1970s rock star. At
> the height of his success he had eight cars, a yacht and a mansion, but was
> most recently living in a council house and drawing unemployment benefit.
> He made no secret of the rock-and-roll lifestyle he had enjoyed, saying:
> "They were wild, crazy days and nights, but booze was my downfall rather
> than drugs."He renounced alcohol after two heart attacks. While recovering
> from the second, his heart stopped six times. Doctors said it was
> miraculous he had survived. Connolly was planning to revive the band for a
> stage show next year, but he had another heart attack in January. He died
> in hospital in Slough, Berks.Sweet's guitarist Andy Scott said:
> "Everybody's image of Sweet was Brian. It was what he was put on this earth
> for."
>
> R.I.P, Brian.
> KB.
I listened to Sweet before discovering DP. Great band, fun songs. Liked
Mick Tucker's drumming in particular(hope I got that name right). Sad
about Brian Connolly.

LRossi3940

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

>I listened to Sweet before discovering DP. Great band, fun songs. Liked
Mick Tucker's drumming in particular(hope I got that name right). Sad
about Brian Connolly.<

I used to love "Fox On The Run" and "Love Is Like Oxygen". Really is sad
news.

Peace

zoso...@aol.com

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Did Brian Connolly replace Ian Gillan in Wainwright's Gentlemen, or vice versa?

Dana

Stewart Roney

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Thanks to everyone's messages over the last couple of days following
Brian Connolly's death...

All messages will be passed onto his family and a tribute page will be
produced shortly at The Sweet web site - Home SWEET Home.

Stewart Roney

Home SWEET Home - THE site for ALL things SWEET.
WWW: http://www.u-net.com/~thesweet
Newsgroup: alt.music.the-sweet
E-mail: ste...@thesweet.u-net.com

Thorsten Nickel

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

"... Er verpatzte alles - erst die Auftritte, dann sein Leben.
Es gibt sicher viele Tragoedien in der Rockgeschichte, aber nur
wenige Stars sind mit solchem Tempo aufgestiegen und haben sich so
grundlos zu Tode gespritzt."

taken from Frank Lauefenberg's DP-biography, which is not known to be
the best, but according Tommy Bolin, he wrote a good summary. The words
he found on Bolin could be the same for Brian Connolly...

Thorsten :-(

ccgt

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97
to zoso...@aol.com

zoso...@aol.com wrote:

> Did Brian Connolly replace Ian Gillan in Wainwright's Gentlemen, or vice versa?
>
> Dana
According to the latest GOLDMINE issue I got today which features SWEET
on its cover, Dave Thompson the writer indicates that Gillan and Tucker
first formed Wainswrights Children(?Gentlemen, I think) in 1965, toured,
disbanded when Gillan left for Episode Six.

Wishing Well Entertainment

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

adi...@indiana.edu (Andrew Patrick Dillon) wrote:

>Been lurking for ages, not too bothered to get involved but this provoked
>me. For those of us who grew up in the 70s the Sweet really were something
>(not sure exactly what but they cccupied some part of that space known as
>our musical awakening) Sad to see him die, sadder to see the state of him
>recently on t.v. too looking back at the 70s. God bless him. I'll have to
>dig out Desolation Boulevard tonight.

>kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk wrote: > > SAD NEWS JUST
>IN.... > > BRIAN Connolly, 52, the leader of Sweet, the "glam-rock" band
>> that outraged 1970s parents by appearing decked in glitter and caked
>> in heavy make-up, died yesterday from kidney failure. The half-brother of
>> the late actor Mark McManus, who played Taggart in the television detective
>> series, Connolly enjoyed the excessive lifestyle of a 1970s rock star. At
>> the height of his success he had eight cars, a yacht and a mansion, but was
>> most recently living in a council house and drawing unemployment benefit.
>> He made no secret of the rock-and-roll lifestyle he had enjoyed, saying:
>> "They were wild, crazy days and nights, but booze was my downfall rather
>> than drugs."He renounced alcohol after two heart attacks. While recovering
>> from the second, his heart stopped six times. Doctors said it was
>> miraculous he had survived. Connolly was planning to revive the band for a
>> stage show next year, but he had another heart attack in January. He died
>> in hospital in Slough, Berks.Sweet's guitarist Andy Scott said:
>> "Everybody's image of Sweet was Brian. It was what he was put on this earth
>> for."
>>
>> R.I.P, Brian.
>> KB.

They weren't rocket science, but they were a lot of fun.
God bless you, Brian
...Roger

david...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 12, 2020, 11:44:32 AM6/12/20
Where did Brian live
Surrey?
Died Wrexham park hospital
Funeral Denham
Resting in breakspear in ruislip

I met him in the fox and pheasant stoke poges