RAINBOW'S DAVID STONE: WHERE DID HE GO????????

Vince Palamara

Jun 11, 2001, 3:00:35 AM6/11/01
David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
(+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?

Vince

Doug MacBeath

Jun 11, 2001, 12:40:51 PM6/11/01

"Vince Palamara" <vi...@telerama.com> wrote in message

> David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
> (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
> he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?

Dunno - I'm pretty sure he died back in the 70s of an overdose or
something... can't remember where I heard that, but I know I heard it back
in the early 80s...

Cheers

Doug

Total Abandon

Jun 11, 2001, 1:11:43 PM6/11/01
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:40:51 +0100, "Doug MacBeath"
<do...@communic-8.com> wrote:

>> David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
>> (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
>> he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?

>Dunno - I'm pretty sure he died back in the 70s of an overdose or
>something... can't remember where I heard that, but I know I heard it back
>in the early 80s...

All I could find was this. I don't think he died in the late 70's.

Stone left school in 1969 and got involved with studio and bar work
as a keyboardist. His first bigger band was Canadian band called
"Symphonic Slam", which existed from 1975 to 1976. Other band members
were John Lowry (drums) and Timo Laine (guitars, vocals). Timo Laine
must've been originally from Finland because of his name. The band
released one self-titled album in April 1976 (Symphonic Slam, A&M
SP9023) before facing monetary problems. Soon after release of the
album the band decided to quit before losing more money.

Stone got involved with Rainbow when Ritchie Blackmore heard him on
the radio. Stone was flown to Los Angeles to do an audition for
Rainbow.

- at the same time there were Matthew Fisher (ex Sutch and Procol
Harum keyboardist), Eddie Jobson (ex Roxy and Frank Zappa keyboardist)
and Mark Stein (ex Vanilla Fudge and Tommy Bolin keyboardist). He
wrote the middle part of the Gates Of Babylon song on the Long Live
Rock 'N' Roll album, but sold his share of the song to Ritchie
Blackmore.

It is unknown what Stone did after leaving Rainbow.

Karl-Heinz Baier

Jun 11, 2001, 1:20:19 PM6/11/01
I have a 70 release (pre Rainbow) of David called "Symphonic Slam" - great
keyboard album (vinyl!)

Vince Palamara

Jun 11, 2001, 1:23:15 PM6/11/01
Hmmm....that doesn't seem right. You would have thought most Rainbow fans
would have heard of that one by now (esp. the rock books that just looooove to
right about rock-n-roll casualties). I'm not saying you're wrong but, short of
proof, I doubt it.

Cheerio,

Vince

Karl-Heinz Baier

Jun 11, 2001, 2:22:37 PM6/11/01
But Rainbow's first drummer, who also played with Dio in Elf: Gary Driscoll died
in the 80's he was murdered as far as i know. I heard it was very horribly. Does
anyone have more Info.

FVD - The Whole F'n Show

Jun 11, 2001, 6:51:32 PM6/11/01
I don't know if this is true but I once heard that Craig Gruber the original
Rainbow bassist is dead too. To this day I still believe he was the best
bass player to ever exist in Rainbow. Sorry Bain fans. Still Rog was great
in Rainbow too although commercial.

I've noticed that Mickey Lee Soule is involved with Deep Purple now with
engineering or something like that. Behind the scenes so to speak.

Anybody ever keep in touch as to what Tony Carey's been doing? Is he still
in Germany?

I guess Bob Daisley is the only muso apart from Cozy to move on to better
things (Ozzy/Uriah Heep/Malmsteen etc). Oops I forgot about Airey and
Rosenthal especially with Rosenthal successfully entering the mainstream
appearing on Cyndi Lauper/Prince video clips and supporting Billy Joel as of
late, and continuing to do so with all that touring.

Also what's Rondinelli up to these days?

FVD.
--
- You're only about four foot six, but don't worry about it, 'cause there's
always someone smaller than you. You're about seven foot fourteen, don't

"Karl-Heinz Baier" <Baier-F...@t-online.de> wrote in message

S-v-a-n-t-e

Jun 11, 2001, 7:52:28 PM6/11/01
"FVD - The Whole F'n Show" <purpl...@xtra.co.nz> vrute-a:

>I've noticed that Mickey Lee Soule is involved with Deep Purple now with
>engineering or something like that. Behind the scenes so to speak.

Mickey is Jon's keyboard tech.

>Anybody ever keep in touch as to what Tony Carey's been doing? Is he still
>in Germany?

I seem to remember seeing lots of AOR stuff coming out from him,
mainly on German labels. Is that right?

>Also what's Rondinelli up to these days?

He was in Blue Öyster Cult the last time I heard about him a year or
two ago.

--
Svante Pettersson
The Highway Star - http://www.deep-purple.com/

T. & M. Van Noggeren

Jun 11, 2001, 8:42:30 PM6/11/01
S-v-a-n-t-e wrote:

> "FVD - The Whole F'n Show" <purpl...@xtra.co.nz> vrute-a:

> >Also what's Rondinelli up to these days?
>
> He was in Blue Öyster Cult the last time I heard about him a year or
> two ago.

He's on the new BOC album that was released last week. They're on
tour in America now.
Apparently he also has his band "Rondinelli" together and they've just
recruited Tony Martin and Neil Murray for their new album.

Regards,
Tony

Ray Ashley

Jun 12, 2001, 12:28:23 AM6/12/01
Maybe I can shed a little more light on this. I remember Dio lamenting
Driscoll's recent demise during an interview on the syndicated radio
show "Metal Shop" around the time of the "Dream Evil" LP. This would
make it 1987. As I recall he was shot in his home.

RA

--
Ray Ashley Hopewell, NJ
ray...@superlink.net

Rasmus Heide

Jun 12, 2001, 2:06:06 AM6/12/01
"T. & M. Van Noggeren" wrote:

> > "FVD - The Whole F'n Show" <purpl...@xtra.co.nz> vrute-a:
> >
> > >Also what's Rondinelli up to these days?
> >
> He's on the new BOC album that was released last week. They're on
> tour in America now.
> Apparently he also has his band "Rondinelli" together and they've just
> recruited Tony Martin and Neil Murray for their new album.

So who plays guitar, Tony Iommi? ;^)

- Rasmus Heide -> Assistant Editor:
http://www.deep-purple.com
http://www.companyofsnakes.com

Headsoundmixer

Jun 12, 2001, 2:22:54 AM6/12/01
>"Rondinelli" together and they've just =

>recruited Tony Martin and Neil Murray for their new album.

This sounds like an excellent combo. Should be very interesting.

Tommy Hittmann

Vince Palamara

Jun 12, 2001, 4:13:08 AM6/12/01
You are correct re: Driscoll. I know this for a fact---it WAS 1987 and they talked
about it on the radio...but what about David Stone? Where is he (shades of Rod
Evans)?????

Vince :)
first two drummers for Rainbow---dead

Jussi T. Vainikainen

Jun 12, 2001, 4:52:46 AM6/12/01
In article <duu9its61sl0b02n0...@4ax.com>,

Total Abandon <swin...@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>All I could find was this. I don't think he died in the late 70's.

He didn't...

>It is unknown what Stone did after leaving Rainbow.

Not quite. He played in Max Webster's album "Universal Juveniles"
(1980) and did a tour with them. What he has done after that,
I don't know.

** Jussi Vainikainen * Don't take life so serious. **
*** j...@cc.jyu.fi * It ain't no-hows permanent. ***
*******************************- Walt Kelly -***********

Christos Gatzidis

Jun 12, 2001, 5:55:46 AM6/12/01
Couldn't agree more. Martin is a great singer IMO, sort of a cross
between Dio & Coverdale.

T. & M. Van Noggeren

Jun 12, 2001, 5:38:58 AM6/12/01
Rasmus Heide wrote:

> "T. & M. Van Noggeren" wrote:
> >
> > > "FVD - The Whole F'n Show" <purpl...@xtra.co.nz> vrute-a:

> > He's on the new BOC album that was released last week. They're on
> > tour in America now.
> > Apparently he also has his band "Rondinelli" together and they've just
> > recruited Tony Martin and Neil Murray for their new album.
>
> So who plays guitar, Tony Iommi? ;^)

He he he - that would be nice! Actually it's Bobby's brother Teddy
who's been his guitarist over the years.

Regards,
Tony

Tatti

Jun 12, 2001, 3:39:05 PM6/12/01
I artikeln <9g4l8u$d...@kanto.jyu.fi> skrev "Jussi T. Vainikainen"
<j...@kanto.jyu.fi>:

>>All I could find was this. I don't think he died in the late 70's.
>
> He didn't...

Correct!

> Not quite. He played in Max Webster's album "Universal Juveniles" (1980)
> and did a tour with them. What he has done after that, I don't know.

In 83/84 I lived in Toronto and David's Hammond was stored at a PA
comapnay called BCB sound. One of the owners of BCB is/was a long time
friend of David's.

I think David more or less gave up on the music business.
What he does now is somewhat a mistery.

But he did not die in the 70's.

Cheers
Tatti

Greg Mac

Jun 12, 2001, 9:53:02 AM6/12/01
I read somewhere that Gary Driscoll got involved in drug dealing, and was
shot by the police during a raid at his home.

--
Greg Mac.

Remove "NOSPAM" to reply.

Scoot

Jun 12, 2001, 10:08:46 AM6/12/01
>I read somewhere that Gary Driscoll got involved in drug dealing, and was
>shot by the police during a raid at his home.

Pity if this is true.

Scoot

Where's that confounded bridge
(oops, wrong band)

S-v-a-n-t-e

Jun 12, 2001, 12:15:11 PM6/12/01
"T. & M. Van Noggeren" <ton...@MNSi.Net> vrute-a:

>Apparently he also has his band "Rondinelli" together and they've just
>recruited Tony Martin and Neil Murray for their new album.

Another entry in the Neil Murray CV...

Karl-Heinz Baier

Jun 12, 2001, 1:20:00 PM6/12/01
Tony Martin is an excellent studio singer, bur a not veryy good live
singer imho. Sorry.

Karl-Heinz Baier

Jun 12, 2001, 1:26:09 PM6/12/01
I don't think that Craig is dead too.....

Karl-Heinz Baier schrieb:

> Craig Gruber plyed with Gary Moore in the 8='s together with Ian Paice.

Karl-Heinz Baier

Jun 12, 2001, 1:25:32 PM6/12/01
Craig Gruber plyed with Gary Moore in the 8='s together with Ian Paice.

FVD - The Whole F'n Show schrieb:

> I don't know if this is true but I once heard that Craig Gruber the original

Harrie Hendriksen

Jun 12, 2001, 2:55:47 PM6/12/01
This thread is starting to sound like the script for Death Wish 10.

Harrie

Karl-Heinz Baier <Baier-F...@t-online.de> schreef in berichtnieuws
3B2650B1...@t-online.de...

Tom Wister

Jun 12, 2001, 3:55:22 PM6/12/01
"Ray Ashley" <ray...@superlink.net> skrev i melding

Here's what I found while doing a quick search with Copernic.
(BTW: If you don't have it - get it! It's been an indispenasable
search tool for me for more than a year, and it's free as well...)
It fits well in with what I remember reading in "Kerrang!" back
in the 80's, something about Gary having been shot during a
burglary in his house/flat. (Unfortunately the "K!" magazines are
"somewhere" in the basement, and there's no search feature
in the boxes....). The page's address is:

http://www.dio.net/biography/personal/GaryDriscoll.html

The site's bio for Gary goes like this:

"Gary Driscoll personal information:
It is unknown what Gary Driscoll, born in 1946, did before joining The
Electric Elves in late 1967. The band changed its name to The Elves in mid
1969 and stayed under that name until mid 1970, when the band met a car
accident.

After recovering from the accident, Driscoll continued with most of his
bandmates in a band called Elf. He stayed in the band until it ended in
February 1975 and continued with the majority of his colleaques to Rainbow.
. However, he didn't stay in Rainbow for too long time, as their guitarist
Ritchie Blackmore fired him them in September 1975.

History after leaving Rainbow:

Dakota
Starcastle
Bible Black
Besides playing in these bands, he had to take a job outside music to
support himself, although he still played at least some sessions, too. This
supposedly happened during and after his Bible Black days.

He was murdered in his home in New York in early June 1987 at the age of 41.
According to various rumors, the murder had strong relations to drugs."

(The site also has a page on David Stone, but that one
has no more info than what's been posted in this NG
earlier).

Tom

NigelYoung

Jun 12, 2001, 5:14:57 PM6/12/01
Doug wrote:

I hope he never reads that! I remember once a British paper, I *think* it was
The Times, ran an obituary of Fairport Convention's Dave Swarbrick a few years
ago. Not many people can say they read their own obituary!

From google: "Gabor then re-located to British Columbia from Toronto in 1984 to
be closer to his son. In 1986 he worked on sessions with Todd Rundgren and in
1987 he assembled a new band: keyboardist Phil Dwyer (VEJI), keyboardist David
Stone (Richie Blackmore's Rainbow), drummer Tony Toly, guitarist Kim Keyser,
and an Afghanistan percussionist known simply as X."

Nigel

LRossi3940

Jun 12, 2001, 8:03:40 PM6/12/01
>Also what's Rondinelli up to these days?

I think he is still in Blue Oyster Cult.

Peace

Christos Gatzidis

Jun 13, 2001, 6:57:59 AM6/13/01
I was listening to the Giuntini Project II CD yesterday and the man is
an amazing talent, very powerful voice indeed. Never seen him in
concert, the only thing I've got live with him is the Cross Purposes
Live video/CD package in which he doesn't come across as well as he does
in a studio environment but nevertheless good enough for my taste...

Dougie

Jun 13, 2001, 9:24:11 AM6/13/01
If I recall correctly...
Ritchie said Gary was the most unlucky guy and told many funny stories about
him. How John Bonham would come just to watch Gary play and gary would throw
his stick up in the air lose it in the light and it would land in his eye,
or that he would reach over and knock the drums over. We all had a laugh
about it as it was funny. Then I asked whwere he was now and Ritchie said he
was dead I asked what happened and was told that he was looking after a
house for some folk when some drug dealers broke in and killed him as they
thought he was the guy who owned the house.. Thats all I remember. Bloody
unlucky...............

Greg Mac

Jun 13, 2001, 1:09:13 PM6/13/01
Dougie <doo...@doogiewhite.co.uk> wrote in message
> If I recall correctly...
> Ritchie said... he was looking after a

> house for some folk when some drug dealers broke in and killed him as they
> thought he was the guy who owned the house.. Thats all I remember. Bloody
> unlucky...............

I might have got my lines crossed a bit - that sounds like the story I
heard. Sounds like a real bad piece of luck as you say... :-(

Doug MacBeath

Jun 13, 2001, 1:30:21 PM6/13/01
Nigel wrote

> I hope he never reads that! I remember once a British paper, I *think* it
was
> The Times, ran an obituary of Fairport Convention's Dave Swarbrick a few
years
> ago. Not many people can say they read their own obituary!

Thanks Nigel - it's just one of those things I remember from waaay back (I'd
have been about 12 or 13). My friend had a LLRnR tour poster, and was going
on about where all the band members now were (obviously only one was on the
lastest Rainbow album!). HE said that Stone was dead. As I've never seemed
him mentioned anywhere, I just presumed this was the case.

Cheers

Doug

Steve Marshall

Jun 13, 2001, 3:28:41 PM6/13/01
The Great Rock n Roll Conspiracy !

All the Rainbow drummers are dead - maybe .
What happened to Chuck ?

SteveM

"Harrie Hendriksen" <harrie.h...@wxs.nl> wrote in message

D. P. Roberts

Jun 13, 2001, 6:31:40 PM6/13/01
>on about where all the band members now were (obviously only one was on the
>lastest Rainbow album!). HE said that Stone was dead. As I've never seemed
>him mentioned anywhere, I just presumed this was the case.

I can get him as late as 1994 in a band called "Poor Richard" --
here's the link: http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/pr-kraf.html

This is interesting: http://www.wiesner.de/rockfam/blackmore.htm

Sheesh!<tm> I went through some of those Rainbow family tree things
and saw about 500 names that I'd forgotten about or had never heard of
(that I can remember)!!

Vince Palamara

Jun 14, 2001, 1:43:21 AM6/14/01
Chuck Burgi came back to Rainbow for their road shows in 1995 as John O'Reilly
hurt his leg or something.:)

Vince

Vince Palamara

Jun 14, 2001, 1:46:02 AM6/14/01
That's very interesting: thanks so much! So, David Stone HAS been around up to
at least the '90's.

Vince

Dave Hodgkinson

Jun 14, 2001, 4:20:06 AM6/14/01
Vince Palamara <vi...@telerama.com> writes:

> That's very interesting: thanks so much! So, David Stone HAS been around up to
> at least the '90's.

All allmusic has is:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=B5b6ktr3wkl4x

--
Dave Hodgkinson, http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star http://www.deep-purple.com

FVD - The Whole F'n Show

Vince Palamara

Jun 15, 2001, 1:54:19 AM6/15/01
He's with SOMEONE (big help, huh? lol)...not sure who. He went on to Yngwie, Black Sabbath, Ozzy...not sure where right now.

Vince

D. P. Roberts

Jun 15, 2001, 1:30:27 PM6/15/01
>Damn it's a shame what happened to Driscoll. So then to conclude this
>thread (just kidding), what is Bob Daisley doing these days?

You mean before or after he was in Mungo Jerry?

Mr. Cosmo Kramer

Jun 27, 2001, 5:23:00 AM6/27/01
:o(

I really liked his style. A damn shame is what it is!

burning...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2014, 7:48:35 PM1/18/14
David Stone is in B.C. Him and his son performed for my program Project Phoenix http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWvv2Ljm1Vk check it out.

Bless.

terrydav...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2015, 4:03:14 PM7/28/15
On Monday, June 11, 2001 at 12:00:35 AM UTC-7, Vince Palamara wrote:
> David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
> (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
> he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?
>
> Vince

My name is Terry Singh and I enjoy Playing With Dave Stone As He is one of the most musical friends I have.Our band is JOSLAP.

nwma...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 4:35:58 PM10/5/16
David Stone has been playing keyboards with The Hambone Wilson Band. I own a tavern in the Deming, Washington area and David has been playing there for the last couple years once a month. Next show is October 14, 2016 8:30 pm.

johamm...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2017, 7:40:33 PM1/12/17
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 1:35:58 PM UTC-7, nwma...@gmail.com wrote:
> David Stone has been playing keyboards with The Hambone Wilson Band. I own a tavern in the Deming, Washington area and David has been playing there for the last couple years once a month. Next show is October 14, 2016 8:30 pm.

I would like to know if you know what this piece of music is that Dave's playing just before the main song "Still I'm Sad"?

thanks, Jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXl1YwrzqnU

scu...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2017, 2:04:49 PM4/9/17
On Monday, June 11, 2001 at 12:00:35 AM UTC-7, Vince Palamara wrote:
> David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
> (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
> he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?
>
> Vince

yes he is playing out of the Vancouver BC area and is on my Album .!!! stevejensenmusic.com

scu...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2017, 2:06:17 PM4/9/17
On Monday, June 11, 2001 at 9:40:51 AM UTC-7, Doug MacBeath wrote:
> "Vince Palamara" <vi...@telerama.com> wrote in message
> > David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
> > (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
> > he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?
> >

> Dunno - I'm pretty sure he died back in the 70s of an overdose or
> something... can't remember where I heard that, but I know I heard it back
> in the early 80s...
>
> Cheers
>
> Doug

no he is doing well . and can be heard on my album .. still a great guy and a great player stevejensenmusic.com

dan.gall...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2017, 5:31:06 PM4/30/17
On Monday, June 11, 2001 at 12:00:35 AM UTC-7, Vince Palamara wrote:
> David Stone, the keyboard player on Rainbow's "Long Live Rock n' Roll"
> (+tracks on "Finyl Vinyl" and the 10/20/77 Rockpalast show)...where did
> he go? Is he still in the music business? Does anyone know?
>
> Vince

Dave is alive and well. Watched him play last night at The Little Roadside Tavern in Deming, WA with Hambone Wilson, Alfie, and Wedge. Awesome keyboard playing 4-29-2017

Steve Jensen Music

Feb 19, 2021, 1:06:06 AM2/19/21
Spot David Stone .

https://youtu.be/39B6aE9RuuE

arapacismtl

Sep 25, 2021, 4:59:59 PM9/25/21
Dave is in my band AraPacis as a full recording member, totally awesome player and super nice guy, and easy to work with!

Here's our latest album with him: https://arapacismtl.bandcamp.com/album/waterdog-2021

Cheers all!