Bruce Dickinson singing Perfect Strangers

ta...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/8/98
From: jgi...@aol.com (JGibbes)
Date: 1998/06/12

In article <199806101611...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, dr...@aol.com
(Dr Jex) writes:

>>his website:
>>http://powered.cs.yale.edu:8000/~haines/dicksmith.html
>>contains Bruce Dickinson (former lead singer for Iron Maiden) singing Perfect
>>Strangers along with Dream Theater playing

>A better idea : the CD Perfect Strangers contains Ian Gillan singing Perfect
>Strangers along with Deep Purple playing.

I will second that.

I visited my old hometown Gothenburg the other day and made a point in going
to some record shops. (Where I live we don't get many of them.) A few friends
of mine talked about Dream Theatre and their covers so I figured I have a
listen. This coveralbum also had a version of Elton John's "Funeral for a
friend" (my all time fave of his) followed by Love lies bleeding and Perfect
Strangers. All three versions had me running to the CD stands to get the
original versions and repair the damage. I ended up buying "Yellow Brick
Road" The DP Perfect Stranger CD is already in my posession.

Tatti

Darkhop

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/8/98
ta...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> A few friends
> of mine talked about Dream Theatre and their covers so I figured I have a
> listen. This coveralbum also had a version of Elton John's "Funeral for a
> friend" (my all time fave of his) followed by Love lies bleeding and Perfect
> Strangers. All three versions had me running to the CD stands to get the
> original versions and repair the damage. I ended up buying "Yellow Brick
> Road" The DP Perfect Stranger CD is already in my posession.

Well, I didn't think they were *bad*, but now that you've brought it up
I realized I haven't played that DT thing more than once.

Yers,
John
Hoping the posts I made in the past few days (from home) eventually show
up!

Kev

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/8/98
In article <35A399...@BEST.GUESSdarkhop.com>, Darkhop <johnhopkins@B
EST.GUESSdarkhop.com> writes

>ta...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> A few friends
>> of mine talked about Dream Theatre and their covers so I figured I have a
>> listen. This coveralbum also had a version of Elton John's "Funeral for a
>> friend" (my all time fave of his) followed by Love lies bleeding and Perfect
>> Strangers. All three versions had me running to the CD stands to get the
>> original versions and repair the damage. I ended up buying "Yellow Brick
>> Road" The DP Perfect Stranger CD is already in my posession.
>
>Well, I didn't think they were *bad*, but now that you've brought it up
>I realized I haven't played that DT thing more than once.

I quite liked it. PS was a bit dull (in comparision), but I liked their
takes on the Zep stuff (Achilles Last Stand especially)
--
Kev

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/10/98
In article <w+DBgAAd...@deepthought3.demon.co.uk>, Kev
<k...@deepthought3.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I quite liked it. PS was a bit dull (in comparision), but I liked their
> takes on the Zep stuff (Achilles Last Stand especially)
> --
> Kev

Hmm...bit frantic but a good effort. I actually liked the slightly
unlikely choice of PF's 'In the Flesh', but each to their own.

Dr Jex

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/14/98
>I visited my old hometown Gothenburg the other day and made a point in going
>to some record shops. (Where I live we don't get many of them.) A few friends

>of mine talked about Dream Theatre and their covers so I figured I have a
>listen. This coveralbum also had a version of Elton John's "Funeral for a
>friend" (my all time fave of his) followed by Love lies bleeding and Perfect
>Strangers. All three versions had me running to the CD stands to get the
>original versions and repair the damage. I ended up buying "Yellow Brick
>Road" The DP Perfect Stranger CD is already in my posession.
>
>Tatti

What the hell? I liked Dream Theater's version better. Hell, Bruce
Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than
Ian Gillan.
Dr J...@aol.com OR Dr...@juno.com
http://www.integritytech.com/daniel.html

HittMann98

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/16/98
>What the hell? I liked Dream Theater's version better. Hell, Bruce
>Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than
>Ian Gillan.

I hope you have a flame suit ready.
Boy, this takes balls. LOL

Tommy Hittmann

Dr Jex

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/16/98

I can name a few reasons why Bruce can sing better. First of all, Bruce has a
better range than Ian does. Also, if you're comparing the high notes, Bruce
can hit them better. Thirdly, Bruce's voice has more variety. I'm not trying
to pound on Ian, I'm just making a point here.

EdCoury

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/16/98
>>>Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson
>>>can sing a LOT better than Ian Gillan.

>>I hope you have a flame suit ready.
>>Boy, this takes balls. LOL

>I can name a few reasons why Bruce can sing better.

>First of all, Bruce has better range than Ian does. Also,

>if you're comparing the high notes, Bruce can hit them
>better. Thirdly, Bruce's voice has more variety.

Today? or 20 years ago? In his prime Ian was UNTOUCHABLE on all
counts.....absolutely. And he's not too shabby these days. either ;-)
" ...and if you hear me talking on the wind,
you've got to understand, we must remain:
Perfect Strangers..."

Stathis Panagiotopoulos

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/16/98
Dr Jex wrote:

> Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than Ian Gillan.

Well maybe he can-but he doesn't. ;-)

Stathis N. Panagiotopoulos <sp...@deep-purple.com>
Greek Deep Purple Appreciation Society
P.O. Box 50322, Thessaloniki 54013, Greece
The Official Deep Purple Website <http://www.deep-purple.com>

HittMann98

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than
>Ian Gillan.

Yea right, not in this lifetime.

Tommy Hittmann

Dr Jex

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than
>>Ian Gillan.
>>

>Yea right, not in this lifetime.

Really, what is so tremendously great about Ian's vocals? I mean, he's a good
singer and all, but *I* can sing most of the stuff he sings. However, if I
tried to do something of Bruce's, I would sound like shit. Well, Bruce and Ian
have one thing in common: They're both Brittish and they're better than most
American singers.

Dr Jex

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>>Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better

>than
>>Ian Gillan.
>>

>Yea right, not in this lifetime.

Have you even heard Bruce sing? If so, have you heard his early 80's singing
or late 90's?

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
In article <199807170900...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, dr...@aol.com
(Dr Jex) wrote:

> Really, what is so tremendously great about Ian's vocals? I mean, he's a good
> singer and all, but *I* can sing most of the stuff he sings. However, if I
> tried to do something of Bruce's, I would sound like shit. Well, Bruce and Ian have one thing in common: They're both Brittish and they're better than most American singers.

Troll, troll, troll your post, gently down the screen...
Only one 't' in British, btw.

Stathis Panagiotopoulos

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
dr...@aol.com (Dr Jex) wrote :

>Really, what is so tremendously great about Ian's vocals? I mean, he's a good
>singer and all, but *I* can sing most of the stuff he sings.

Oh yeah, so do I. In fact, so do most of us in this NG. But since you
mentioned it first, please go on. Give it a try. Do an easy one to get
warmed up, like Gethsemane from JCS, or The Unwritten Law, or Born Again,
and then go to the real difficult stuff. We're all ears ;-)

(This isn't to say that Bruce Dickinson can't sing, he's really very good,
but the comparison is ridiculous. Bruce would say so himself)

__

Stathis N. Panagiotopoulos <sp...@deep-purple.com>
Greek Deep Purple Appreciation Society
P.O. Box 50322, Thessaloniki 54013, Greece
The Official Deep Purple Website <http://www.deep-purple.com>

Posted with the Sonador Automated Usenet Service
Usenet reading and posting through email ... A Free Service
http://www.sonador.com/News mailto:autone...@sonador.com

Content of this posting is the intellectual property of the
poster, and is not originated by or reflect the views of the
Sonador Automated Usenet Service.

HittMann98

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>Well, Bruce and Ian
>have one thing in common: They're both Brittish and they're better than most
>American singers.

Try telling that to Ronnie James Dio.

Tommy Hittmann

HittMann98

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>Really, what is so tremendously great about Ian's vocals? I mean, he's a
>good
>>singer and all, but *I* can sing most of the stuff he sings.

Then how come he is in a major rock band
for the last 3 decades, and youre not.
Try singing Fools, or Pictures of Hell, from Toolbox. How about singing
Bloodsucker,since you say it's so easy.
Would you like us to contact Roger, and ask him to give you a audition for
Ian's job?
Please think about writing before you post it.

Tommy Hittmann

HittMann98

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
>Have you even heard Bruce sing? If so, have you heard his early 80's singing
>or late 90's?

Saw Bruce live with Iron Maiden in the late
80's, and I didnt think his live albums No Prayer for the living and Dying were
that good, no matter how much editing they did in the studio.

Tommy Hittmann

Doug MacBeath

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
On 14 Jul 1998 15:50:01 GMT, dr...@aol.com (Dr Jex) wrote:

>What the hell? I liked Dream Theater's version better. Hell, Bruce

>Dickinson's version was the best. Bruce Dickinson can sing a LOT better than
>Ian Gillan.

Well, I saw them both on the same day at Lahr last year. I even caught
Bruce's exclusive accustic set in the press tent before his main set.

He might have been able to sing in the early 80s, but his voice has
certainly lost its edge these days. I'm not saying he sucks or
anything, but I think he's lost his edge over recent years.

That said, I'd have to disagree with you anyway - I think Gillan sings
much better on his early 80s albums (both the Gillan ones and
Sabbath), than Bruce sings on the Maiden one from roughly the same
time.

Cheers

Doug

Kev

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
Sure Bruce has an amazing technical ability, but Gillan's ability when
he was as old as Bruce is now was better, and as for in the 70s, I don;t
believe Bruce has ever had the ability to sing JCS.
Whether he will be able to sing like Gillan when he is the same age as
him is another matter.

--
Kev

Kev

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
In article <199807171744...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, HittMann98
<hittm...@aol.com> writes

Do you mean A Real Dead One & a Real Live One? I agree they aren't that
great, but the video for Donnington 92 is great from start to finish,
IMO as good as live After Death.
--
Kev

Brad DeMoranville

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
HittMann98 wrote:

> >Really, what is so tremendously great about Ian's vocals? I mean, he's a
> >good
> >>singer and all, but *I* can sing most of the stuff he sings.
> >

> Then how come he is in a major rock band
> for the last 3 decades, and youre not.
> Try singing Fools, or Pictures of Hell, from Toolbox. How about singing
> Bloodsucker,since you say it's so easy.

Jeez, I don't know who wrote the first part of this, but I've fronted some bands over
the years, and I'm a reasonably capable singer. But I can't sing a lot of what Gillan
sings. He has range, power and versatility. Few singers have all three (although many
have two).

Bye!

Brad

Brad DeMoranville

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/17/98
Someone wrote:

. . . then make a list of American singers and think about it. I am not a fan of all of
these, but, after all, Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Joe Lynn Turner, Harry Nilsson, Jackie
Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Perry, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Marvin Gaye,
Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Brad Delp, Simon, Garfunkel, Three Dog Night, Louie
Armstrong . . . the list goes on and on . . .

America has one of the proudest music traditions in the world, particularly with jazz
and rock and roll. Band-for-band only Britain can compete, and I'd call it a draw.

Bye!

Brad

S. van T.

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98

I must have missed something along the way here. Who is James LaBrie?

(Warning: Lame joke ahead!) Whoever he is, I bet he's cheesy.
*raggadacrash*

--
The Highway Star - http://www.deep-purple.com/
Another site - http://deep-purple.family-tree.com/

Dr Jex

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
>I must have missed something along the way here. Who is James LaBrie?

A singer from Dream Theater. He has a great range. It's unreal. Dream
Theater has done a version of Perfect Strangers on A Change of Seasons and it
was great.

Dr Jex

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
>Saw Bruce live with Iron Maiden in the late
>80's, and I didnt think his live albums No Prayer for the living and Dying
>were
>that good, no matter how much editing they did in the studio.
>
> Tommy Hittmann

What the hell are you talking about. No Prayer for the Dying is a studio
album, not a live album. That is the album that came out in 1990, when he
started taking on a different style of singing. As of right now, however,
Bruce sings operatic form as he did in the early 80's. Either way, Bruce's
range and diversity surpasses Gillan.

Dr Jex

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
>Then how come he is in a major rock band
>for the last 3 decades, and youre not.
>Try singing Fools, or Pictures of Hell, from Toolbox. How about singing
>Bloodsucker,since you say it's so easy.
>Would you like us to contact Roger, and ask him to give you a audition for
>Ian's job?
>Please think about writing before you post it.
>

> Tommy Hittmann

You take things too seriously. I never said anything about "easy." Please
read and think before you post.

>Then how come he is in a major rock band
>for the last 3 decades, and youre not.

There's also Hanson, 2Pac, Matchbox 20 and various other so-called popular
bands. It's not about skill or talent, it's about money and popularity. Quit
being such an asshole about it.

Kev

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
In article <199807180428...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, Dr Jex
<dr...@aol.com> writes

>>Saw Bruce live with Iron Maiden in the late
>>80's, and I didnt think his live albums No Prayer for the living and Dying
>>were
>>that good, no matter how much editing they did in the studio.
>>
>> Tommy Hittmann
>

>What the hell are you talking about. No Prayer for the Dying is a studio
>album, not a live album. That is the album that came out in 1990, when he
>started taking on a different style of singing. As of right now, however,
>Bruce sings operatic form as he did in the early 80's. Either way, Bruce's
>range and diversity surpasses Gillan.
It's interesting you should mention that, Bruce's voice almost 'went'
during the Seventh Sign tour (IMO the best Maiden album), listen to
Maiden England -Birmingham 87(A 'Maiden Europe' had already been
released on bootleg :-)) shows his voice declining throughout the show-
starts of great but is pretty dodgy at the end, and we don't even see
the encore if there was one. My guess is that he had some sort of throat
operation like Robert Plant did in 74, because he sounded completely
different on the next Album. I think his vocals peaked on Balls to
Picasso (his first solo whilst not in Maiden) and IMO also his writing
ability.
--
Kev

HittMann98

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
>There's also Hanson, 2Pac, Matchbox 20 and various other so-called popular
>bands. It's not about skill or talent, it's about money and popularity.
>Quit
>being such an asshole about it

With out bothering to waste time and effort, remeber pal you were the one who
said you could sing Ian Gillans vocals easy, not me.

>You take things too seriously. I never said anything about "easy." Please
>read and think before you post.

Well then look up the post, you wrote.
You said you sing Ian Gillans vocals easy.

>t's not about skill or talent, it's about money and popularity.

So you are saying Ian Gillan is not a skilled vocalsit. Make up your mind. I am
just answering your post. You wrote you could
sing Ian Gillan's vocals easy.
Has far as me being an asshole, if you are going to write a post like you did,
dont you think you will get a response. So, with out any name calling, which I
just dont want to waste my time on. You wrote something that I answered.
Ok, I didnt call you an asshole, so show a little respect.

Tommy Hittmann

HittMann98

Jul 18, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/18/98
>What the hell are you talking about. No Prayer for the Dying is a studio
>album, not a live album.

Whatever the last live albums Iron Maiden
pot out. The live album witht the heavy editing
in the studio. I think it came out around 91, or
92.

>As of right now, however,
>Bruce sings operatic form as he did in the early 80's. Either way, Bruce's
>range and diversity surpasses Gillan.

No sense in going back and forth. Even though
Bruce is a good STUDIO singer. I like Gillan's
vocal tones and range alot more than Bruces live. Has far as range goes and
diversity goes thats only your opinion. Not a fact. So, since this subject is
going no where.
I thnk this is useless. Enjoy the music.

Tommy Hittmann

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
>. . . then make a list of American singers and think about it. I am not a
>fan of all of
>these, but, after all, Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Joe Lynn Turner, Harry
>Nilsson, Jackie
>Wilson, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Perry, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Marvin
>Gaye,
>Brian Wilson, Jim Morrison, Brad Delp, Simon, Garfunkel, Three Dog Night,
>Louie
>Armstrong . . . the list goes on and on . . .
>
>America has one of the proudest music traditions in the world, particularly
>with jazz
>and rock and roll. Band-for-band only Britain can compete, and I'd call it a
>draw.
>
>Bye!

Those American singers listed above are like Barney when you compare them to
the strong vocals of European singers: Robert Plant, Bruce Dickinson, Ian
Gillan, Ozzy Osbourne and RogerWaters.

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
>Do you mean A Real Dead One & a Real Live One? I agree they aren't that
>great, but the video for Donnington 92 is great from start to finish,
>IMO as good as live After Death.
>--
>Kev

A Real Dead One & A Real Live ONe is considered to be "Bruce at his worst" by
most people. Do you have the Video for Donnington 92? I'd buy a copy from
you if possible. I would have to say Bruce done well during the Seventh Son of
a Seventh Son tour. He sang the melodies really well on the Maiden songs
during that time period.

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
>No sense in going back and forth. Even though
>Bruce is a good STUDIO singer. I like Gillan's
>vocal tones and range alot more than Bruces live. Has far as range goes and
>diversity goes thats only your opinion. Not a fact. So, since this subject is
>going no where.
>I thnk this is useless. Enjoy the music.

I would have to say Ian Gillan was awesome at live performances in the 70's and
80's. I'm just glad he's still with Deep Purple.

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
>>What the hell are you talking about. No Prayer for the Dying is a studio
>>album, not a live album. That is the album that came out in 1990, when he
>>started taking on a different style of singing. As of right now, however,

>>Bruce sings operatic form as he did in the early 80's. Either way, Bruce's
>>range and diversity surpasses Gillan.
>It's interesting you should mention that, Bruce's voice almost 'went'
>during the Seventh Sign tour (IMO the best Maiden album), listen to
>Maiden England -Birmingham 87(A 'Maiden Europe' had already been
>released on bootleg :-)) shows his voice declining throughout the show-
>starts of great but is pretty dodgy at the end, and we don't even see
>the encore if there was one. My guess is that he had some sort of throat
>operation like Robert Plant did in 74, because he sounded completely
>different on the next Album. I think his vocals peaked on Balls to
>Picasso (his first solo whilst not in Maiden) and IMO also his writing
>ability.

The reason for Bruce Dickinson sounding totally different is the fact that he
experimented with a different singing style. He didn't sing all the high
notes. Instead, he was singing most of the lyrics in a growling kind of tone.
I don't know how to describe it. About Balls to Picasso, he started singing as
he originally did starting on that album. Do you have Accident of Birth by any
chance?

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98

How old is Gillan now? Is he around Robert Plants age? I don't care what you
people say, I think Gillan can sing better than Robert Plant. I have actually
seen Robert Plant live. A great performance, but he lacks strenght somewhat.

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
>>t's not about skill or talent, it's about money and popularity.
>
>So you are saying Ian Gillan is not a skilled vocalsit. Make up your mind. I
>am
>just answering your post. You wrote you could
>sing Ian Gillan's vocals easy.
>Has far as me being an asshole, if you are going to write a post like you
>did,
>dont you think you will get a response. So, with out any name calling, which
>just dont want to waste my time on. You wrote something that I answered.
>Ok, I didnt call you an asshole, so show a little respect.

Let me rephrase my statement then: The music industry is not about skill or
talent, it's about money and popularity. That's how it is today. If Deep
Purple just started playing their music today, the odds are they won't be very
popular. Bands like Hanson, Marylin Manson and Nirvana take all the rep.

Sakarra

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
At the risk of being honest I haven't heard Bruce since his voice went to
the same place with Ian's. Maiden was great til' No Prayer for the Cup
tour. Seventh Son was F***ing brilliant. So who's playing with Bruce on this
PS track??? Cheers Jon/Sharkcity

Dr Jex

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98

Dream Theater.

Kev

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/19/98
In article <199807190634...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Dr Jex
<dr...@aol.com> writes

>>Do you mean A Real Dead One & a Real Live One? I agree they aren't that
>>great, but the video for Donnington 92 is great from start to finish,
>>IMO as good as live After Death.
>>--
>>Kev
>
>A Real Dead One & A Real Live ONe is considered to be "Bruce at his worst" by
>most people. Do you have the Video for Donnington 92? I'd buy a copy from
>you if possible. I would have to say Bruce done well during the Seventh Son of
>a Seventh Son tour. He sang the melodies really well on the Maiden songs
>during that time period.

Admittedly, I have only seen Maiden England, and I know I can't really
judge a whole Maiden era on one show, but he sounded a bit strained to
me towards the end. (Particularly Number o t B, Hallowed be thy Name,
and Die With Your Boots On). I think he sung great on the Donnington
video. On the subject of reaching the high notes, he sung Run to the
Hills as on the album version- he didn't even do that on Live After
Death.
I'll mail you about the vid.
Kev

"These go to 11" - Nigel Tufnel

Music stuff, & Emulators - www.deepthought3.demon.co.uk

José Antonio Basalo Álvarez

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/21/98
Kev wrote:

> It's interesting you should mention that, Bruce's voice almost 'went'
> during the Seventh Sign tour (IMO the best Maiden album), listen to
> Maiden England -Birmingham 87(A 'Maiden Europe' had already been
> released on bootleg :-)) shows his voice declining throughout the show-
> starts of great but is pretty dodgy at the end, and we don't even see
> the encore if there was one. My guess is that he had some sort of throat
> operation like Robert Plant did in 74, because he sounded completely
> different on the next Album.

This is interesting! I have always wondered why the Hell Robert Plant's voice changed from a woman's
range to a normal male's range. I saw him suffering with the Queen's covers at the Freddy Mercury's
tribute and thought that man could not be the same one who sang "Communication Breakdown". So the
reason why is a throat operation?
/Jose Antonio

FBelt39867

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/22/98
>At the risk of being honest I haven't heard Bruce since his voice went to
>the same place with Ian's. Maiden was great til' No Prayer for the Cup
>tour. Seventh Son was F***ing brilliant. So who's playing with Bruce on this
>PS track??? Cheers Jon/Sharkcity

Not to beat a dead horse, but I heard Bruce singing PS w/ Dream Theater on the
net spot that somebody posted, and Bruce sounded identical to James Labrie and
Dream Theater's verion of PS off of Change of Seasons.

Did anybody else get this or are my ears plugged?

Aloha,

Frank

John Alflat

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/22/98
Kev wrote -

> Sure Bruce has an amazing technical ability, but Gillan's ability when
> he was as old as Bruce is now was better

..wait for it

incoming grammar attack

Cheers

John

This reply was sent using "NewsCIS", a Usenet Newsgroup Offline Reader
--
Johna...@compuserve.com
writer of Purple People column for British Mensa's

Gennochka

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/22/98

I would not really call Ozzy Osbourne a singer... after all, even Tonny
Iommi admitted it. He's on the same scale with Alice Cooper.
Now, Freddie Mercury has a great voice! And Klaus Meine! argh, he's
German... can he play for the British team?? =)

nice thread....

Regards,
Gene
--
They say that life's a carousel Spinning fast, you've got to ride
it well

Dr Jex

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98
>Not to beat a dead horse, but I heard Bruce singing PS w/ Dream Theater on
>the
>net spot that somebody posted, and Bruce sounded identical to James Labrie
>and
>Dream Theater's verion of PS off of Change of Seasons.
>
>Did anybody else get this or are my ears plugged?
>
>Aloha,
>
>Frank

I don't know about your ears, but Bruce's voice sounds just a tad higher
pitched. Can't you tell a difference?

kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98
In article <35B679...@concentric.net>, Gennochka

<RedS...@concentric.net> wrote:

> Now, Freddie Mercury has a great voice! And Klaus Meine! argh, he's
> German... can he play for the British team?? =)

Don't think Mercury was, strictly speaking, British either.

Gennochka

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98

oh yes, of course, but he's been in England since the age of 14-16, so
it's a close call. Besides, I believe he had the citizenship papers...
aside from that, I believe he has a great voice.
Hmmm... another British would be George Michael.

John Alflat

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98
Gennochka wrote -

> kevin....@nottingham.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > In article <35B679...@concentric.net>, Gennochka
> > <RedS...@concentric.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Now, Freddie Mercury has a great voice! And Klaus Meine! argh, he's
> > > German... can he play for the British team?? =)
> > >
> > Don't think Mercury was, strictly speaking,
British eit
> her.

> oh yes, of course, but he's been in England since the age of 14-16, so
> it's a close call. Besides, I believe he had the citizenship papers...
> aside from that, I believe he has a great voice.
> Hmmm... another British would be George Michael.

Definately Greek

:-)

How about Sting?

Garry Smith

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98
John Alflat wrote:

> How about Sting?

Geordie.

From an English friend of mine....
.....Definition of a Geordie? A Scotsman with the brains bashed out!
:-)
<exit Garry, pursued by flames>
--
Garry Smith ga...@caleyjag.demon.co.uk

JGibbes

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/23/98
Somebody writes:
>only Britain can compete, and I'd call it a draw.

Blackmore,Gillan,Glover,Lord,Paice versus Bolin,Turner,Satriani,Morse.I'm
claiming a win,because if it's a draw we'll only lose on penalties.Hang on a
minute,someone's just reminded me that there is music outside of Purple.Let's
have a look:The Beatles,The Stones,The Jimi Hendrix Experience(two thirds
thereof),Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull,Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,Queen,The
Stranglers versus The Beach Boys,The Jimi Hendrix Experience(only one third
thereof),Bruce Sprinsteen,Kiss,ZZ Top,Foreigner,Bon Jovi,Nirvana,Guns 'n'
Roses.You're offering a draw,you say? P.S.(to Brits only) Don't mention
The Doors.I mentioned them once,but I think I got away with it.

FBelt39867

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/24/98
Not to beat a dead horse, but I heard Bruce singing PS w/ Dream Theater on
>the
>net spot that somebody posted, and Bruce sounded identical to James Labrie
>and
>Dream Theater's verion of PS off of Change of Seasons.
>
>Did anybody else get this or are my ears plugged?
>
>Aloha,
>
>Frank

I don't know about your ears, but Bruce's voice sounds just a tad higher
pitched. Can't you tell a difference?
Dr J...@aol.com

Not with my net connection and as you said a "Tad", sounds to me like Dickinson
and Labrie's versions sound pretty close. Anybody else out there want to jump
in.

Aloha,

Frank

David Meadows

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/24/98

JGibbes wrote in message >have a look:The Beatles,The Stones,The Jimi

Hendrix Experience(two thirds
>thereof),Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull,Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath,Queen,The
>Stranglers versus The Beach Boys,The Jimi Hendrix Experience(only one third
>thereof),Bruce Sprinsteen,Kiss,ZZ Top,Foreigner,Bon Jovi,Nirvana,Guns 'n'
>Roses.You're offering a draw,you say? P.S.(to Brits only) Don't
mention
>The Doors.I mentioned them once,but I think I got away with it.

What are we comparing here? Singers that stupidly killed themselves? I think
Americans win hands down.

--david.

[p.s. You forgot Tyrannosaurus Rex]

David Meadows

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/24/98
Garry Smith wrote in message <35B77D...@caleyjag.demon.co.uk>...

>John Alflat wrote:
>.....Definition of a Geordie? A Scotsman with the brains bashed out!

Definition of a Geordie: someone who's really really mad because Deep Purple
aren't playing City Hall this year :-(

--david
[honourary geordie]

Adam Dolan

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/25/98
".....the strong vocals of...Roger Waters"?!? ROTFLMAO! Don't get me
wrong, I LIKE Roger Waters, but I don't think vocal power and range is
exactly his main talents. (Songwriting/arranging are.)
I actually used to dislike Gillan, I kind of backed into liking him as a
singer thru his solo/Gillan work, esp Double Trouble. Now I think he
stands as the rare example of a hard rock singer who has gotten BETTER
with age. No, he can't do those CIT screams any more, but that's
screaming, not singing. Check out his expressive work on Sometimes I
Feel Like Screaming ( a lament for his CIT voice??) or Fingers To The
Bone. That's **singing**. Donning asbestos suit now...

JGibbes

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/25/98
In article <6paq1m$4gk$1...@svr-c-02.core.theplanet.net>, "David Meadows"
<da...@no.spam.here.uk> writes:

>[p.s. You forgot Tyrannosaurus Rex]

I might have forgotten the tyrannosaurus,but my name's not Rex.

Dr Jex

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/30/98
>Not with my net connection and as you said a "Tad", sounds to me like
>Dickinson
>and Labrie's versions sound pretty close. Anybody else out there want to
>jump
>in.

Buy Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind album and Dream Theater's Awake or Images and
words. You will notice a BIG difference in Bruce's voice and LaBrie's.

FBelt39867

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/31/98
Buy Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind album and Dream Theater's Awake or Images and
words. You will notice a BIG difference in Bruce's voice and LaBrie's.
Dr J...@aol.com OR Dr...@juno.com

I'm sure they sound a lot different, but that's not what I'm after. I'm just
wondering if anybody else out there thought the 2 versions of PS w/ Bruce and
James Labrie sounded similar or I need to get a new set of speakers for my
computer.

Aloha,

Frank

Dr Jex

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00β€―AM7/31/98
>I'm sure they sound a lot different, but that's not what I'm after. I'm just
>wondering if anybody else out there thought the 2 versions of PS w/ Bruce and
>James Labrie sounded similar or I need to get a new set of speakers for my
>computer.
>
>Aloha,

Wav. file formats usually tend to sound shitty. However, I noticed a
difference. Maybe a new set of speakers?

Runa Aktar

Feb 16, 2024, 8:05:31β€―AMFeb 16
βœ…πŸ”΄β–ΆοΈβ–Ά Really Amazing ️You Can Try This β—€οΈβ—€οΈπŸ”΄βœ…
πŸ”΄ALL>Moviesβœ… πŸ“Ί πŸ“± πŸ’» βœ…ALL>MoviesπŸ”΄
βœ…β–ΆοΈβ–ΆοΈ CLICK HERE Full HDβœ…720pβœ…1080pβœ…4Kβœ…

WATCH βœ…πŸ’»πŸ“ΊπŸ“±πŸ‘‰https://co.fastmovies.org

α—ͺOα—―α‘Žα’ͺOα—©α—ͺ βœ…πŸ“ΊπŸ“±πŸ’»πŸ‘‰https://co.fastmovies.org

πŸ”΄πŸ“±WATCH>>α—ͺOα—―α‘Žα’ͺOα—©α—ͺ>>HERE>πŸ‘‰https://co.fastmovies.org

βœ…πŸ’»WATCH>>α—ͺOα—―α‘Žα’ͺOα—©α—ͺ>>HERE>πŸ‘‰https://co.fastmovies.org