Why's Dave so WEIRD?

Matt Clarke

Mar 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/21/99
Dave Matthews is a pretty cool, down to earth guy. That seems to be the
general concensus. But I think we all would agree that Dave becomes a
very different person when he's on stage. His behavior at times is
downright bizarre. I think he's just uncomfortable performing in front
of the thousands and thousands of people that his venues now hold.

So what do y'all think? stage fright? drugs? adrenaline? Let's hear
some opinions.

- Matt Clarke
Philly, PA

"If you're gonna live, then live it UP!" -BH

--------------------------------------------|
E-Mail: lcl...@erols.com
Web: http://members.aol.com/clarkematt
ICQ: 17878105
AIM: ClarkeMatt
--------------------------------------------|

Robby33

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
uncomfortable? are ya serious?

--rob

"Shut up, I'm thinking. I had a clue, now it's gone forever."

http://www.tapetrading.com/lists/r/o/rob...@aol.com.html

~remove RobbyD to reply~

NumbPicker

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
I think Drugs have a lot to do with it. Also, one thing I have noticed, when
he gets serious and plugs his new album or says thanks to the opening band or
something, the longer he is serious, the more bezerk he goes when he is done.
Here is an example
"I don't know if you can find it out here, I haven't seen it, but we have a new
album called UUTAD, I haven't seen it, you should try to find it." Then he
made some weird noises. get it?/? He does that a lot
Hey, how's it goin'?
to reply, remove the stuff at the end of my email address. Thank you so very
very much.

Maria Figiel

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99

It's just a theory, but I think his eccentric
behavior has something to do with his genius
intellect.

maria f.

...I remember thinking I'll go on forever
only knowing I'll see you again...
-DM

Amy Alexander

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Wonderful theory!!!

Maria Figiel <fig...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> wrote in article
<7d5f7i$rqe$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>...

Roadrunar

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99

Everyone is weird to someone.

rebel

"There's no such thing as sanity and that's the sanest fact" - Mark Knopfler

Carolyn

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
stage fright?   Definitely not.
drugs?   Nope.
adrenaline?   I'll have to go with this theory.
Carolyn M.
My Webpage  http://members.tripod.com/~dancinnanci/index.html
"......till we dance away"  -DJM

rapu...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
I think that many creative people seem wierd/strange to the majority of
people. I think that is also why we are so intrigued with dave (and the band)
to begin with; and, why their creations are so enjoyable to us, because they
are so different. A person who has the ability to say and express exactly
what they think even if someone is going to think they are wierd is rare.
It's too bad more people can't seem to be naturally open minded. Which
brings back the question, is Dave naturally like that or is it drugs? It
can't be all drugs, there has to be something naturally ecentric about him
underneath any drugs.

I also think that his background has a lot to do with it. Living and
experiencing different places, people, tragedy (his father, sister), his
political background, really open the mind to thoughts many of us may never
encounter. Some people deal with tragedy in strange ways, his
joking/wierdness may be his way. just my .02

maria b

"The future is no place to place your better days" - Dave Matthews
"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" - John Lennon

WatchTwr40

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
>Dave Matthews is a pretty cool, down to earth guy. That seems to be the
>general concensus. But I think we all would agree that Dave becomes a
>very different person when he's on stage. His behavior at times is
>downright bizarre. I think he's just uncomfortable performing in front
>of the thousands and thousands of people that his venues now hold.

thats what makes him the man... peace

Gruffy1044

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Everyone's weird in their own way. If they weren't, the world would be a
pretty boring place.
Kate

SkimQEBA

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
<<I think Drugs have a lot to do with it.

actually drugs have nothing to do with it at all. dave never is on any drugs
during performances. no member of the band is ever on drugs during any
performance. this was clearly stated by the band in the bands biography. they
actually denounced being on drugs while performing. they said that some
artists feel it enhances their musical talent but they said that it doesnt.
they even thought that it even takes a little away.
thats just what i read.

ryan

Alan Bailey

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
yes, I remember that section of the book and it really makes me admire
them more. However, they just mentioned drugs, so I don't know about
alcohol, even though it is considered a drug too...alcohol would be a
good excuse for his craziness.

Later,
Alan

Amy Alexander

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Good excuse????????? Why would anyone need an excuse?!!? I'm crazy, how
about you?

Alan Bailey <awba...@USENET.uiuc.edu> wrote in article
<36f6c41b...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>...

Kbabe

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
I think concerts would get a little boring if the performers didn't put
their own personality into it. I love Dave, of course and his
personality, has a lot to do with it. I think if you or I got up in
front of a ton of people, there would be some that would think that we
are wierd, so way to go Dave, for being yourself!
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:31:07 GMT awba...@USENET.uiuc.edu (Alan Bailey)
wrote:

> yes, I remember that section of the book and it really makes me admire
> them more. However, they just mentioned drugs, so I don't know about
> alcohol, even though it is considered a drug too...alcohol would be a
> good excuse for his craziness.
>
> Later,
> Alan
>
> On 22 Mar 1999 22:01:50 GMT, skim...@aol.com (SkimQEBA) wrote:
>
> ><<I think Drugs have a lot to do with it.
> >
> >actually drugs have nothing to do with it at all. dave never is on any drugs
> >during performances. no member of the band is ever on drugs during any
> >performance. this was clearly stated by the band in the bands biography. they
> >actually denounced being on drugs while performing. they said that some
> >artists feel it enhances their musical talent but they said that it doesnt.
> >they even thought that it even takes a little away.
> >thats just what i read.
> >
> >ryan

Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.

Carolyn

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
I'm really weird, and proud of it!!  (shit, sorry, wrong group)  - - But it's true.....I am weird, and I AM proud of it. --
Carolyn M.
My Webpage  http://members.tripod.com/~dancinnanci/index.html
"......till we dance away"  -DJM

Amy Alexander wrote:    Good excuse?????????  Why would anyone need an excuse?!!?  I'm crazy, how about you?

AmyDMB1

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Why examine this? Dave does his own thing on stage, simple as that. He isnt a
typical performer, in that he doesnt just get up there and sing,, but that
makes him weird? Nah.. That is what makes his concerts SO amazing, and makes
people who never liked the band before a concert go home and get every CD...
Seriously, theres no reason to analyze something like this. After all, Im sure
Dave doesnt even know why he does the things he does. Do you? He is a normal
human being, just being himself... He doesnt practice his personality, so why
study it?
Just wondering
AMY

CptK1dd

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
dave himself said, (and this is not an exact quote) that sometimes he looks out
at the audience and wonders if they could possibly be having as much fun as the
band is.
I think he's incredibly comfortable and happy on stage.
:o)>Dave Matthews is a pretty cool, down to earth guy. That seems to be the
>So what do y'all think? stage fright? drugs? adrenaline? Let's hear
>some opinions.
>
>- Matt Clarke

CptK1dd

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
>Everyone is weird to someone.
>
>rebel

Ah, everyone is someone elses weird...
:o)

Fannyfest

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
I just think he is more comfortable on stage doing what he loves so its easier
for him to act odd...but he acts odd in person too...I think he is just an odd
guy and I love that about people...but if you think about it, look at alot of
stars...they usually become completely different when they are on stage and
feeling free and full of emotion...Kind of like some people who seem shy and
then you take them to a club and they start moving and feeling the
music....thats the only way i can explain it
***~~Lick N Taste whats the use in worrying~~**

Fannyfest

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
No offense Ryan, but you dont know if they are on drugs on stage or not...no
matter what they say to the public...do you honestly think they would say "yeah
we are cracked up or burnt on stage when we perform" I dont think so...no one
knows what they do but them.

Fannyfest

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
See ya gotta start gettin attitudes...we are not examining it...she through out
a topic so we could have conversation...each oppinion his own...what is your
drama? Let us dicuss it!

typical performer, in that he doesnt just get up there and sing,

AmyDMB1

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
>See ya gotta start gettin attitudes...we are not examining it...she through
>out
>a topic so we could have conversation...each oppinion his own...what is your
>drama? Let us dicuss it!

No attitude here, Im just saying. Thats not a good topic because no one knows
why dave does what he does, How could they? Its impossible for us to know, Just
how I don't know how any of my friends think, or why they do things... Let
alone Dave Matthews.
Im saying, just let him be Dave.
peace
AMY

Fannyfest

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Your right...but we still wonder and we just want to know what the others
thinkin (hey from ants) anyway sorry i was rude!

AmyDMB1

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

><tt>I read your post in response to this (my) question.&nbsp; I had
>been reading the newsgroup, and everyone seemed totally caught up in the
>ticket-buying frenzy.&nbsp; I thought it would be nice to get back to basic
>discussion; that's what this is all about.&nbsp; Anyway, I checked
>back today and was really pleased to see so many (23 actually) responses
>to my original post.&nbsp; It was great; almost everybody had something
>positive to say on the subject.&nbsp; I didn't fail to notice, however,
>that there were two "anti" posts, and (surprise!) they were both from
>you.&nbsp;
>I noticed your responses to some other questions, and (yeah) there was
>
><tt>"Thats not a good topic because no one knows why dave
>
><tt>"Its just not an answerable question because its really

><tt>No offense, but who are you to judge which questions are valid and
>which are not?&nbsp; I'm you've Sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole,
>
><tt>&nbsp; Peace,</tt>

><tt>--------------------------------------------|</tt>
><tt>E-Mail: lcl...@erols.com</tt>
><tt>Web:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://members.aol.com/clarkematt</tt>
><tt>ICQ:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 17878105</tt>
><tt>AIM:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ClarkeMatt</tt>
><tt>--------------------------------------------|</tt>
>
>Dude, what the fuck? Who are YOU to analyze every single thing that I write?
The fact is, that I dont like when people discuss Dave as if they know them.
Tell me please, who could honestly have an answer to why daves so weird? Tell
me. NO ONE COULD BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS HIM. He is a musician, and though
sometimes even I feel I know everything about him, fact is that I dont. And
neither do any of the people in this news group. IM saying let him be dave, and
theres no reason to examine and examine time and time again why Dave does
things, because we dont know. We just dont. Sucks doesnt it?
As for the book comment, All Im saying is that he used to be an actor, merely
informing someone who doesnt know. Read the book? Was there to ask a question,
no attitude implyed. Im sorry but you do not know me. You have no right
whatsoever to email me out of the blue with all of my posts and tell me that
you have a problem with them. You have no right to say who can say what and who
can post what. And as for being an asshole, Dont worry. Yes I think you are
one... No I do not care .
AMY

Voyag...@aol.com

Jun 17, 2019, 10:54:35 PM6/17/19
Unless he has a 750 or higher math score on the Act, I'd be hesitant to say intellectual genius. Great dexterity and muscle memory. Good song writing ability. But genius? I reserve that term for astrophysicist, mathematicians, etc. Not musicians. To each their own.