Is Dave Gay???

Patrick Thomas

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

I want to know if Dave is gay? In the song 'So Much to Say' he sings,
'I say my hell is the closet and I'm stuck inside, Can't see the light,
and my heaven is a nice house in the sky'

It seems that Dave is saying that he wants to come out of the closet.
Please e-mail me if you know whether or not he is gay.

Thanks,
Patrick Thomas
pat...@myriad.net

TATER 686

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Well Dave must be hiding in the closet awfully well considering he has had
a girlfriend for over4 years.

Imnchaos

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

As far as the lyrics " my hell is the closet I'm stuck inside" I took it
as meaning any type of situation where someone is trapped and unable to
extricate himself. When you thought Dave could be gay you are taking the
popular jargon of "coming out of the closet" referring to gays and using it
just because the lyrics refer to a closet. Therefore should we assume that
any time any one mentions a closet are they referring to gays? I dont think so.
My screen saver marquee contains the words My hell is the closet I'm
stuck inside. And I am not a lesbian!
Nicolette

DolphA4113

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

>I want to know if Dave is gay?

hmm...

why does this sound familiar?

Jordan Rudd

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Dave Matthews is probably THE MOST heterosexual person on the planet,
besides myself.

Michael James Mcgillivray

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Jordan Rudd (RuddF...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

If song lyrics are a way to measure someone's sexuality I'd say he's bi. I
think we all know he has/had a girlfriend, but if you listen to Tangerine
from 2/19/96 he changes one of the verses to:

"Thinking how it used to be
Does he still remember times like these
To think of us again
And I do..."

Tangerine is a love song no mater what way you cut it... in Zep's version
it's "Does she still remember..."

Food for thought...

tf...@indy.net

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

> I want to know if Dave is gay?

ANSWER: Yes...you do want to know.

Ok, let's put all the rumors to rest folks....and finally tell everyone
the truth about "Dave."

He is not Gay----he is bisexual with zoo animals. He also is dying of
AIDS and was a runaway in South America at the age of 8. His name isn't
even Dave......it's Billy Church, and he's wanted in South Africa for
illegal disposal of mattress tags.

His left testicle was lost in a tragic crotch-sniffing-dog incident, and
he wears dentures. He has a intestinal disorder that causes him to pass
gas relentlessly...(hence the dating of zoo animals.)

He has a superfluous nipple---and eats caster beans over rice for
breakfast.

Some little known facts include:

He stores beer in a Texaco bathroom urinal in C-ville, and he also
steals his song lyrics from a homeless poet he found living behind Trax.

Now----this should answer just about every question any of you faithful
fans can think of. I hope you found this informative, but
please............DON'T TELL ANYONE!!!

The Blowfish----(Hootie sold seperately)

Joe Campbell

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

A. Does it matter?
B. Peter and Carter wrote the song.

Later,
Joe

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:50:27 -0700, Patrick Thomas
<pat...@myriad.net> wrote:

>I want to know if Dave is gay? In the song 'So Much to Say' he sings,
>'I say my hell is the closet and I'm stuck inside, Can't see the light,
>and my heaven is a nice house in the sky'
>
>It seems that Dave is saying that he wants to come out of the closet.
>Please e-mail me if you know whether or not he is gay.
>
>Thanks,
>Patrick Thomas
>pat...@myriad.net

****
joeca...@worldnet.att.net
Could I have been...the King of Ellipsis?

If you've seen WiteDalek (on EFnet) or WhiteDalek (on DALnet),
das me. If you know me, hi. =]

"Hold me down if I got to feel...
Hold me up if running's what's got into me..."
-David J. Matthews

mie...@worldnet.att.net

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:29:17 +0800, kristine lim
<thefun...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>tf...@indy.net wrote:
>
>> > I want to know if Dave is gay?
>>

>I really liked what you wrote and I found it highly amusing. Anyway, I was
>just wondering if anyone out there could tell me where Dave met his
>girlfriend Ashley and who the kid he is holding in UTTAD is? Thanks.

That was a pretty damn funny post! I'm still laughing.

I don't know about his girlfriend, don't really care, but the little
girl in the picture is his niece. His sister was murdered and from
what I understand, he takes care of the little girl with his other
sister. Anyone want to correct anything I missed?

B. Chamberlin

DolphA4113

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

i read in the article in Rolling Stone that it was his nephew Johnny

i dont know maybe im wrong
i just thought id mention it

soundofsilence

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

see.. joe knows whats up. :P

--[chrisehrhardt]-------[fl...@hard2overcome.com]--
--[ssilence on efnet]--[/join #dmb]--
--[lay down look see she he]--

Joe Campbell wrote in article <604g7k$e...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...

Joshua C. Dempsey

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97
to Joe Campbell

I agree with A. and what if he is? Is it our business? And will it change
the fact that he makes great music?
B. on the other hand... according to the CD jacket, it was written by Boyd
and Peter and Dave.

- Josh.

DolphA4113

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

i thought Dave usually wrote all of the lyrics

i mean it would make sense to me sense he is the one singing them

but i dont know

(none of the above is saying i think he's gay just a thhought )

peace love empathy
amy

Waldo L. Jaquith

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

Joshua C. Dempsey wrote:
> B. on the other hand... according to the CD jacket, it was written by Boyd
> and Peter and Dave.

It was written primarily by Peter. Haynes (ref: R2T "Thanks" list.)
heavily contributed to many songs as well. While Dave writes a lot, he
doesn't write everything.

Best,
Waldo

Joshua C. Dempsey

Sep 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/25/97
to waldo@thebluemoon*com

-----
- Thanks for backing me up on this one... I was pretty sure that it wasn't
Dave all on his own. So.. who is stuck in the closet??? Uh oh... I now
started the "Is Peter Gay" thread. heh.

- Later!
-- Josh.

\|/ ____ \|/
@~/ ,. \~@ Joshua C. Dempsey [jcd...@mail.odu.edu]
/_( \__/ )_\ WebPage- http://www.nicom.com/~jdempsey
-----\__U_/------- ---- ------ - --- ----- ---- --- -- -
"You've got me wild turned around inside" -DMB

kat

Sep 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/26/97

"Joshua C. Dempsey" <jcd...@mail.odu.edu> wrote:

> Uh oh... I now started the "Is Peter Gay" thread. heh.

Didn't I hear somewhere that Peter is now touring with The Village
People as the construction worker? heh heh

kat

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for each violation.

FreeByrd6

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

First, who cares if Dave is gay?
Second, the lyrics mentioned in "So Much to Say" has to do with Dave mocking
all the people who use him as a scapegoat.
Third, he met his girlfriend, Ashley, in Atlanta. In fact, and I'm not lying,
she used to babysit me because she lived near my house.

Jack (Free...@aol.com)

Russell Carlson

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Missy6381 wrote:

> whoa jack, thats a really neat story!!!! My friends dad does dentist work for
> carters old drum teacher.. thats about as closely connected to Dave as i can
> get. does anyone else have some interesting connections to the band???
> -melissa

A guy that lives down the hall from me is from Charlottesville and he
claims that he knows Dave, and knew him before he was famous. He says
that his friend takes care of the drummer's house when he's gone.

A friend of a friend of mine met Dave in Charlottesville while just
walking down the street. He asked Dave if he knew anywhere in town
where he could buy a good football. I forget if Dave knew. hmmm....

-russell

Missy6381

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Dan Payzant

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

I'm new to this group. And I missed out...what's with the subject "Is
Dave Gay?" I've heard that rumor from several other places. I'm
curious why are some people drawing that conclusion? (Not that it makes
any difference to me whether or not he is.) Why did that rumor start?

DaLastWish

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Ohmygawd..you gotta tell me where ya live..is it in Charlottesville? and is
this Messiah of drum teachers still alive? Ive been takin drums now for 4
years..and I like my teacher..but to take from carters teacher..woah!

pickl...@internode.on.net

Mar 21, 2017, 12:53:35 AM3/21/17
On Saturday, September 20, 1997 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, Patrick Thomas wrote:
> I want to know if Dave is gay? In the song 'So Much to Say' he sings,
> 'I say my hell is the closet and I'm stuck inside, Can't see the light,
> and my heaven is a nice house in the sky'
>
> It seems that Dave is saying that he wants to come out of the closet.
> Please e-mail me if you know whether or not he is gay.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick Thomas
> pat...@myriad.net

He may have dabbled on the other side when he was young but I can't believe he's gay for the simple reason no self-respecting gay man would ever dress the way he does.

quick...@gmail.com

May 11, 2019, 9:59:58 PM5/11/19
I think that's a great description of the man, and I think dave would enjoy it also lol

cree...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2020, 4:27:23 AM2/17/20
yes dave is propably gay

Stone Laun

Mar 9, 2022, 11:34:29 AM3/9/22
On Saturday, 20 September 1997 at 08:00:00 UTC+1, Patrick Thomas wrote:
> I want to know if Dave is gay? In the song 'So Much to Say' he sings,
> 'I say my hell is the closet and I'm stuck inside, Can't see the light,
> and my heaven is a nice house in the sky'
> It seems that Dave is saying that he wants to come out of the closet.
> Please e-mail me if you know whether or not he is gay.
> Thanks,
> Patrick Thomas
> pat...@myriad.net
Dave is mostly wearing pink in his videos. I'M not saying pink is gay but in every video?