Cowboy Weaver?

PaulB

Apr 20, 2002, 9:03:00 PM4/20/02
Cowboy Weaver was a staple of Saturday afternoon T.V. here in Dallas
for twenty years. It was thirty minutes of him and his band on Channel
11. It was bad...bad...bad , but as I said he was kind of a
tradition. He was also a DJ on KXOL AM. at one time. Does anyone know
what happened to him. I have'nt heard of him in years.

Dan Cutrer

Apr 20, 2002, 9:57:37 PM4/20/02

<PaulB> wrote in message news:3cc20e90...@NEWS.CHARTER.NET...

I'll defer to Paula, who usually has the best info. You left out Jim
"Shootin" Newton, also brought to you by the Fine Folks at the Old Top Rail,
still there on way out NW Highway ...

I seem to recall Cowboy Weaver from Sunset Ranch had some real serious
trouble with the law in East Texas a few years ago ... will have to check a
bit further before I post the recollection ...

Paula

Apr 20, 2002, 10:44:53 PM4/20/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:57:37 GMT, "Dan Cutrer" <danc...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Cowboy Weaver? The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I think this may
be before my time. And I think I know "Shootin' Newton" only from
fairly recently when he did stuff for Channel 39 when they showed
westerns all day on Saturdays. Or maybe I just have one Great Big
Mental Block.

I'm a child of the mid-Mr. Peppermint/late Icky Twerp era, myself; a
graduate of Bill Kelly's "Children's Hour" on Sunday mornings and Dan
Coats-doing-wrestling-at-the-Sportatorium-on-Channel-11-after-all-the-syndicated-country-shows-on-Saturday-nights
years.

Not that you asked.

Paula

TheodoreQuiroz

Apr 20, 2002, 11:26:20 PM4/20/02
>I'm a child of the mid-Mr. Peppermint/late Icky Twerp era, myself; a
>graduate of Bill Kelly's "Children's Hour" on Sunday mornings and Dan
>
>Coats-doing-wrestling-at-the-Sportatorium-on-Channel-11-after-all-the-syn
dicated-country-shows-on-Saturday-nights

Remember it well,i think the Porter Waggoner show was on before the wrestling
show.anyone remember.The Live from Panther Hall show ? they had some great
shows there.

Dan Cutrer

Apr 21, 2002, 10:17:27 AM4/21/02

"Dan Cutrer" <danc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

OK, my recollection is Cowboy was living in a small travel trailer at a less
than pristine home-site in rural East Texas he labeled "Sunset Ranch" when
he ALLEGEDLY had contact with a young man whose Papa wanted Cowboy to make
him a star. Don't recall hearing the outcome of the case, which made the
Dallas papers ... in East Texas sometimes criminal cases taken an 'unusual'
turn ... which is to say prosecutors and Judges are more 'inventive' in
remedies than they are in Dallas.

Another Channel 11 (formerly owned by Gaylord) musical 'star' of that era is
legendary for calling a co-worker at the radio station they both worked at,
"Hoss, I'm sick, real sick, can't make it, can you do my shift this
morning?" Co-worker jumps in his clothes, a few minutes after he gets to
the station there's a knock on the door, in comes local police, "Are you
the dj who called to report a husband said he was gonna kill your a-- when
you showed up for work this morning?" My lips are sealed, keyboard too, I
guess.

PaulB

Apr 21, 2002, 1:03:56 PM4/21/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:17:27 GMT, "Dan Cutrer" <danc...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Gosh, it boggles the mind that anyone could think that Weaver could
make them a star. It is a sad end to the story though.

BTW...I saw a web page selling tapes of Slam Bang Theatre. Anyone from
Dallas knows whatof I speak <g>

Paula

Apr 21, 2002, 5:12:17 PM4/21/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:03:56 GMT, PaulB wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:17:27 GMT, "Dan Cutrer" <danc...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>Gosh, it boggles the mind that anyone could think that Weaver could
>make them a star. It is a sad end to the story though.
>
>BTW...I saw a web page selling tapes of Slam Bang Theatre. Anyone from
>Dallas knows whatof I speak <g>

He was on Slam Bang Theater? Was this before the late 60's? I looked
around for a picture of him, but didn't really find anything.

Maybe I DID see him.

Paula

PaulB

Apr 21, 2002, 7:07:47 PM4/21/02
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:12:17 GMT, rub...@att.net (Paula) wrote:

Weaver wasn't on Slam Bang Theater. I mentioned that because I had
seen your post( i think it was yours) about Icky Twerp. I was looking
up Channel 11 and ran into the page about SBT.

TheodoreQuiroz

Apr 21, 2002, 7:47:40 PM4/21/02
>BTW...I saw a web page selling tapes of Slam Bang Theatre. Anyone from
>Dallas knows whatof I speak <g>

His son...(Icky Twerps) his real name was Bill Camden.has a webpage,and he
sells vhs tapes and t-shirts of slam bang theatre..i ran into him at a local
flea market.looks just like his dad.

PaulB

Apr 21, 2002, 7:58:38 PM4/21/02
On 21 Apr 2002 23:47:40 GMT, theodor...@aol.com (TheodoreQuiroz)
wrote:
Bill Camden had an ad agency in the Ridglea Bank Blfg., the same
place I had a business once. Talked to him once or twice...super guy.
Who were the characters on that show? I was a little old for it, but
wasn't there a turtle and a possum? I also remember Camden did the
Saturday night horror movie.

TheodoreQuiroz

Apr 21, 2002, 8:14:15 PM4/21/02
His name was Bill Camfield,anyways this is the webpage.

http://www.ickytwerp.net/

nyema...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2015, 1:54:34 AM4/17/15
Bill Canfield.

dwe...@hotmail.com

Jan 9, 2016, 7:35:03 AM1/9/16
I've never heard about any of that. But, in the early 60's, I saw Cowboy Weaver with his family, on the side of I-30 to East Texas. There was a car accident that My family pulled over to see. We were standing on the edge of the creek, looking.
I looked across the creek and saw CW and his wife and, I think 2 sons. They were looking at the wreck, too.
I knew who he was because my parents watched him on Sat, too.

booe...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2016, 5:09:26 PM12/25/16
my cousin Bob Anderson was his bass guitar player,,,,Long hair, left handed and a ring on every finger?,,,,anyone know him?

jiml...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 9:33:15 PM10/18/17
I was just a kid in Martin's Mill Tx, and Loyds Sunset Ranch was on the backside of one our pastures. I went to a dance he had where his band was there as well. It was pretty rough back then but the memories are still there. 50 plus years ago. My Dad liked to drink a little so him and my Mom took me that night.
He was a little odd but never showed any disrespect to my family.