The Palomino Club/Palomino Riders

starf...@eudoramail.com

Aug 21, 2000, 11:37:58 AM8/21/00
THE PALOMINO RIDERS

It's one of the many names for the groups that played the famous Palomino
Club that operated in North Hollywood from 1949 to 1995.

I'm working on a history of all the bands that played there, why the in
1960's alone there were only two bands that played the club.
The Gene Davis Band, also known as the Palomino Riders and Gene Davis & the
Star Routers lasted from the late 1950's until 1966 when Gene split to
briefly work in Roger Miller's roadband..
The Second main group of the 1960's was led by Gene's steel player the great
Red Rhodes, as Red Rhodes and the Detours they lasted from 1966 to late
1969.

These two groups had many great pickers go through their ranks including
Gene Davis, Red Rhodes,Ernie Ball {the guitar string guy}, Mel Taylor {the
Ventures}, Norm Raleigh, Jimmy Snyder,Clyde Griffin, Leon Russell, Glen
Campbell, Delaney Bramlett, Glen D Hardin, Bobby Durham, Jan Curtis
Skugstadt, Jerry Inman, Archie Francis,}, the Cass brothers of Glenn and
Norm Cass{aka Kastner or Kass}, Johnny Carver, Jerry Cole, Doyle Holly,
Johnny Meeks, Don Holiman, Biff Adam, Earl Ball, Dennise Hromek, Bobby Wayne
Edrington, Bobby Ray {aka Robert G. Shamblin}, Tom Brooks {aka Holbrooks},
and Garland Frady.
Temps with the groups in the 1960's included James Burton, Buddy Emmons, Al
Bruno and Phil Baugh.

There's a lot of famous names here and a lot of great sidemen who range from
hot club pickers to future rock stars and great country singers.

Anyone with memories of the club and bands, ex-members, other members from
over the years feel free to contact me.
I have been in touch with some of the old patrons and ex-band members and
I'm really hoping to track down some more from any time period of the
Palomino's existence.

Many thanks

Jason Odd

Email : king...@optusnet.com.au

starf...@eudoramail.com

Aug 23, 2000, 12:37:02 PM8/23/00
Regarding the Palomino Riders:

There has also been an offer for a website {the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame} to
be set up in honour of the Palomino Club and all it's bands.
I have a lot of info on the late 1950's to late 1970's groups, but anyone
near who lived or frequented the Northern Californina country club scene
please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Jason

Floyd T. Gentry

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
You left out the main man. Tony Booth. Gene Davis a personal friend of mine
also worked at the Aces club on Valley boulevard in the city of Industry. They
had a talent contest at the Palomino and this guys appeared a couple of times on
my radio
program. Can not remember his name but on the flip side of the Capitol record
he recorded "One if for him, Two if for me". This is an old song. The A side
was something about a girl on the other side of the river. This singer sang it
slow. Waylon Jennings covered it and put a fast tempo to it. Can you remember
his name?
Floyd Gentry

starf...@eudoramail.com wrote:

--
ICQ# 10268424

Floyd T. Gentry

Aug 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/25/00
You have him in your group. I just reviewed the group and his name, also a good
friend of mine if your not playing pool, Jerry Inman. God I loved that One if
for him, two if for me. Floyd Gentry

starf...@eudoramail.com wrote:

--
ICQ# 10268424

Floyd T. Gentry

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
Hey, Gene Davis also fronted Willie Nelson's band. Floyd

--
ICQ# 10268424

Paula

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 00:48:15 +1000, <starf...@eudoramail.com>
wrote:

>The Pal bands in the 1950's were led by the likes of Gene Davis, Gene
>O'Quinn, even Speedy West worked there in a group with Billy Strange and
>Merrill Moore. Plus the Tunetoppers led by ex-Gene Vincent sideman Johnny
>Meeks with a few ex-Blue Caps in the late 1950's.
>
>Could there be a club with a greater history?

This is pretty cool. Two people I've recently discovered - Gene
O'Quin and Merrill Moore (both of whom have GREAT Bear Family
compilations) have connections with both Speedy West and the Palomino.
Does anyone know where I can find out more about O'Quin and Moore and
the Palomino?

Paula

Paula

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00

Jay Langford

Aug 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/26/00
>Speedy West worked there in a group
> with Billy Strange and Merrill Moore.

Speedy had a run with Gene Davis in the early '60's. I was there.
Jay

starf...@eudoramail.com

Aug 26, 2000, 10:48:15 AM8/26/00

Yes Tony Booth had the band from 1970 to about 1972 after REd Rhodes quit to
work with Michael Nesmith's First National Band.
Marvin Caves and Larry Booth kept the group going then Jimmy Snyder came and
went before Jerry Inman's award winning run from 1974 to 1976 with a truly
awesome band.

Later there was Brain Marks & the Marksmen, Jimmy Snyder and Ira Allen had
runs with the group as leader, plus the bands changed a lot.
Thumbs Carlisle worked the club for a while as did Eugene Moles Jr., son of
Bakersfield great Gene Moles who played on early Haggard sessions.

The Pal bands in the 1950's were led by the likes of Gene Davis, Gene
O'Quinn, even Speedy West worked there in a group with Billy Strange and
Merrill Moore. Plus the Tunetoppers led by ex-Gene Vincent sideman Johnny
Meeks with a few ex-Blue Caps in the late 1950's.

Could there be a club with a greater history?

Jason.

Floyd T. Gentry

Aug 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/27/00
You might get a lead on him by checking out the Louisiana Hayride. He was an
active member there before coming to the west coast, Floyd

--
ICQ# 10268424

larry...@earthlink.net

Aug 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/27/00
Paula,
If you have the Bear Family box set, I'd expect that to have a pretty
good biography of Moore. (BTW, thanks for mentioning that. I didn't
know about it and think I'll try to get it.) It's said to have all of
his Capitol sides from the '50s, and I'd like to hear his version of
"House Of Blue Lights". Of course, Freddie Slack (one of Moore's
heroes) and Ella Mae Morse made it a hit in 1946. Moore recorded it in
1953. It helped give him the Country-Boogie tag. Nick Tosches included
a chapter on Merrill in UNSUNG HEROES OF ROCK 'N' ROLL (1984).

Because of my age, I first loved that song from the 1955 version by
Chuck Miller. It's possible that Merrill's version gave Chuck Miller
the idea that the time was ripe to revive it as a pop hit.

My usual reference, DEFINITIVE COUNTRY, by Barry McCloud, has an
informative piece on Merrill too. He is from Iowa and moved West after
Navy service during WWII. In June, 1950, he put together his own band
with Monty Gibson (bass), John Stokes (drums) and Dave Carpenter
(steel guitar). They played six-nights-a-week stints for Jimmy
Kennedy, who owned eleven establishments around San Diego. Merrill and
his Saddle Rhythm Boys worked mostly at the Buckaroo Club.

On recordings, his piano can be heard on Wanda Jackson's "Let's Have A
Party", Tommy Sands "Teen Age Crush", and many records by Sonny James
to Faron Young. There's considerably more information in the book.

Larry Davis
--
larry...@hotmail.com
Join a new discussion group for fans of Country oldies.

"Paula" <rub...@att.net> wrote in message

starf...@eudoramail.com

Aug 27, 2000, 1:36:06 PM8/27/00

"Jay Langford" wrote > Speedy had a run with Gene Davis in the early '60's.
I was there.> Jay>

Jay,

I think you will find that Speedy used to sit in with all the Palomino
groups in the late 1950's which is when you probably saw him with Gene
Davis.
Speedy split Southern CA for Oklahoma in 1960 and lives there to this very
day, although he did fly into LA to record his 1962 LP for Capitol, so it's
hard to imagine him not popping in to see and possibly sit in with Gene.
Gene's steel player at the Pal' from Dec 31, 1960 to early 1966 was the
great and late Red Rhodes who went on to lead the house band until early
1970.

Jason

Jay Langford

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
>I think you will find that Speedy used to
> sit in with all the Palomino groups in the
> late 1950's which is when you probably
> saw him with Gene Davis.
Jason

It had to have been after '60. It was more that likely '62 as that's
about the time we went to Burbank from Tacoma, Wa. to ferry the Hawaiian
National Guard back home with our C-124 Globemasters. It was advertised
that Gene was playing featuring Speedy as that's what "lured" us to the
Palomino. I know this is the right time as I entered the Talent Contest
and Speedy was there. I had one of the best times of my life that
night!
Jay

Jim Kindon

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
Hi Jay

>It had to have been after '60. It was more that likely '62 as that's
>about the time we went to Burbank from Tacoma, Wa. to ferry the Hawaiian
>National Guard back home with our C-124 Globemasters. It was advertised
>that Gene was playing featuring Speedy as that's what "lured" us to the
>Palomino. I know this is the right time as I entered the Talent Contest
>and Speedy was there. I had one of the best times of my life that
>night!
>Jay

Hope you're well keeping that TOUR bus polished up and filled
with fuel. <BG>
Regards

Jim by the River Plym
Skyline Design & Country Music
www.skyline78.freeserve.co.uk
Plymouth & The Mayflower Steps

starf...@eudoramail.com

Aug 30, 2000, 1:16:40 PM8/30/00
Jay,

That is a real cool story :

>>> It had to have been after '60. It was more that likely '62 as that's
about the time we went to Burbank from Tacoma, Wa. to ferry the Hawaiian
National Guard back home with our C-124 Globemasters. It was advertised that
Gene was playing featuring Speedy as that's what "lured" us to the Palomino.
I know this is the right time as I entered the Talent Contest and Speedy was
there. I had one of the best times of my life that night!
Jay<<<<

And the best part is that Speedy would have been on one of his rare West
Coast gigs post -1960.
I would imagine that it could have been while he was in town cutting his
last Capitol LP.
Speedy loved to guest with all the Palomino groups in the 1950's, especially
after Jimmy Bryant went out on his own in 1956.

titanicc...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2019, 2:14:22 AM1/5/19
Does anyone remember Jimmie Allen he did Elvis...I'm his sister