Recitation fans wanted

roswell63

Oct 22, 2000, 10:07:01 PM10/22/00
My name is Tom and I have a "passion" for recitations. I would like to
correspond with others with the same "passion".

My personal favorite for recitations is Tex Ritter and his "Just Beyond the
Moon" album.

A couple favorite recitations are:
1. Dick Feller - Biff the Friendly Purple Bear
2. Dick Miles - The Last Goodbye
3. Little Jimmy Dickens - Christmas Letter ?
4. Archie Campbell - Shawnee ? ( a boy, his dog and cat named "Snowfeet")

--
Tom
http://members.home.net/tgoebel5/

Dick Feller

Oct 25, 2000, 10:25:24 PM10/25/00
Hey, Tom,

I must commend you on your Excellent taste in music!

You have me in some fine company.

Cheers,

Dick Feller

Larry Davis

Oct 26, 2000, 12:18:34 AM10/26/00
Hi Tom,
Here's some of my favorite recitations.

Ken Nordine "The Ship That Never Sailed", "Shifting Whispering Sands" (Billy
Vaughn)

Red Sovine "Little Rosa" (Webb Pierce)

Archie Campbell "Trouble In The Amen Corner"

Walter Brennan "Old Rivers"

Jimmy Buffett "God's Own Drunk"

Luke The Drifter "Be Careful Of Stones That You Throw", "Just Waitin'"

Bobby Bare "The Winner"

Little Jimmy Dickens "Raggedy Ann"

Billy Gray "You Can't Have My Love" (Wanda Jackson)

George Hamilton IV "Little Tom"

Kitty Wells "I Gave My Wedding Dress Away"

Ralph Emery "Hello Fool"

Skeeter Davis "Set Him Free"

Bill Anderson "Mama Sang A Song"

Buck Owens "Mental Cruelty" (Rose Maddox)

Larry Davis
--
Participate in a new group devoted to Classic Country
http://www.onelist.com/group/ClassicCountryMusic1940sto1960s

roswell63

Oct 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/26/00
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the list.I see some I've never heard of before. I'm going
now to see if I can find any of them on Napster.

"Larry Davis" <larry...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

f. de jong

Oct 26, 2000, 9:41:32 AM10/26/00
Johnny Cash did some great recitations on his double album (LP) "Ballads of
the True West".

Greetings from Fryslân,
Fokke de Jong
Drachten, the Netherlands

Dan Cutrer

Oct 26, 2000, 10:15:06 AM10/26/00

Larry Davis wrote:

> Here's some of my favorite recitations.
>

> Bill Anderson "Mama Sang A Song"

Gives me a chance to repeat one of my favorite lines about country
singers, "He sang his way onto the charts and whispered his way off
it." <g>

K.F. Raizor

Oct 26, 2000, 12:46:29 PM10/26/00

My favorite recitations include Johnny Cash's "The Ballad of Ira Hayes" and
Buck Owens/Rose Maddox's "Mental Cruelty".

Karen

***Larry Cordle's "Murder on Music Row"
IBMA SONG OF THE YEAR 2000****

deep...@ugaalum.uga.edu

Oct 26, 2000, 3:00:48 PM10/26/00
Haven't heard from you since you played that gig in that little club
in Athens, GA back in 1978 or so. Glad to know you're still out
there, and I hope you're doing well! ~~ db

Ebeneezer Pockawockadopolis

Oct 26, 2000, 6:44:43 PM10/26/00
Larry Davis wrote in message ...

>Walter Brennan "Old Rivers"
>
>Bobby Bare "The Winner"

>Bill Anderson "Mama Sang A Song"

"Mama Sang A Song" came to my mind, too. I forgot "Old Rivers." Thanks for
reminding me of it.

"The Winner" and "Ballad Of Ira Hayes" (mentioned by someone else) I don't
consider recitations.

My own favorite recitation is Red Sovine------"Big Joe and Phantom 409."

Norman Lipkus

Oct 26, 2000, 9:49:40 PM10/26/00
That most certainaly is a fine list. I would like to add a few more that
just came to me. Jimmy Deans' I.O.U. as well as Big Bad John. Dean did
some other recitation things,but I can't recall them right now. You have
to include Melba Montgomery's answere to that one,No Charge. Talkin'
about Bill Anderson,you need to include the Golden Guitar.
Probably one that goes way back and some times was regarded as the first
Rap type of a song( In that it was a talking type of song) was the one
by Tex Williams,Smoke,Smoke,Smoke(that cigarette) Regards Norm

roswell63

Oct 27, 2000, 6:55:26 AM10/27/00
I was thinking today of a few of my favorite recitations and wondered if
anyone else has heard the album "Tales of the Yukon"(?) by Stuart Hamblin?
I know the title is the same as Hank Snow's album, but I remember it being
the same. One of the recitations on the album is called "Big Wicked Bill".
It's about a fellow and his lead sled dog. It is really dramatic.

Another recitation that came to mind is "Ode to a Mule" by Ken Curtis and
done in his "Festus" persona. It's about why he names all his mules Ruth
even if the mule is a jack and not a jenny. It's really sad.

TnnesseeTitans

Oct 27, 2000, 9:45:57 AM10/27/00
>My own favorite recitation is Red Sovine------"Big Joe and Phantom 409."<

Just curious. Have you heard Tom Waits' version? I'd have to wait until someone
jogs my memory with some other recitations, but until then, Tom's version is
hands down, the best recitation I've ever heard. Also always liked Hank Snow's
and Stuart Hamblen's "The Cremation Of Sam McGee". Always good for a chuckle!

Dan Cutrer

Oct 27, 2000, 11:02:18 AM10/27/00

I'll confess ... and betcha most other dj's would agree ... I grew to
HATE Red Sovine's recitations, every kid within 100 miles called
constantly requesting them, they were patently designed to tug on
heartstrings, and I didn't see any musical value in them. They were
LONG, and with 2 5-minute newscasts, 18 minutes of commercials broken
into 22 different spots, assorted promos and other stuff I had to get
on, I thought using that time to play one and a half other records that
had REAL COUNTRY MUSIC in 'em was a better use of the airways. Adding
insult to injury, and giving away another dj trade secret, they weren't
long ENOUGH for a good bathroom break, Marty's "El Paso" and later
"Felena" were great songs, but when I realized our evening dj played
"Felena" about 10:35 every night, I knew it most likely wasn't via a
request! <g>

Stuart Hamblen's album "Spell of the Yukon" ... I must have been the
only OTHER one who ever listened to it, on RCA, as I recall, made me
fall in love with Robert W. Service, the poet of the Alaskan gold rush.

The one that I've looked for was Eddie Albert, he of "Green Acres" fame,
reciting Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain."

TnnesseeTitans

Oct 27, 2000, 12:31:02 PM10/27/00
>I'll confess ... and betcha most other dj's would agree ... I grew to
>HATE Red Sovine's recitations, <

No need to apologize.Believe me, it wasn't just the dj's. Reminds me of your
great quote about Bill Anderson, and allow me if you will, to paraphrase, about
Red Sovine: He sang his way on to the Country charts,
and recited his way off! "Red" was the perfect name for him. If he hadn't gone
by the name years earlier, I think most people would have assumed that he came
by his monnicker, simply because he was so embarrassed1 Awful!

Dan Cutrer

Oct 27, 2000, 12:48:33 PM10/27/00
Reminds me of your
> great quote about Bill Anderson, and allow me if you will, to paraphrase, about
> Red Sovine: He sang his way on to the Country charts,
> and recited his way off!

Giving credit where it's richly deserved, that quote originally came
from either Choo or JDBLD.

Back to Bill Anderson, I was thinking of something Jim Horn, legendary
PD at WYNK in Baton Rouge in the 60's, now working in Southern
Mississippi, told me about picking up Bill at the Jackson, Mississippi,
airport in the early 60's, "... he talked perfectly normal, but once he
got on the stage he started that whispering stuff ..."

I'm still looking for an EARLY, pre-Still, Bill Anderson set, "Back
Where I Started From", "That's What It's Like to Be Lonesome", etc.
Bill (with a lot of help from Owen Bradley) had a nice run of great
songs that I'm afraid are lost forever.

roswell63

Oct 27, 2000, 12:57:40 PM10/27/00
"Dan Cutrer" <dcu...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Stuart Hamblen's album "Spell of the Yukon" ... I must have been the
> only OTHER one who ever listened to it, on RCA, as I recall, made me
> fall in love with Robert W. Service, the poet of the Alaskan gold rush.
>
> The one that I've looked for was Eddie Albert, he of "Green Acres" fame,
> reciting Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Morning Rain."

Thanks for reminding me of the name of Stuart Hamblin's "Spell of the
Yukon" album. I knew I wasn't correct, but couldn't remember. Do you
remember "Big Wicked Bill"? I'll have to see if I can find the Eddie Albert
song.

Ann Eskayo

Oct 27, 2000, 8:01:04 PM10/27/00
Laissez les bon temps rouler * Shalom * Ann

Bob Mc.

Oct 27, 2000, 8:42:20 PM10/27/00
How about "should you go first" in Beyond the sunset??Chickie Williams did a great job, and I seem to remember ole Hank, Sr. did it, too.

Louis Claeson

Oct 27, 2000, 9:46:45 PM10/27/00
Having never been a real lover of recitations (with a couple exceptions)
I probably shoudn't comment, but it occurs to me that as this thread has
developed there are two types of recitations: the total and the partial.
With that in mind my vote for total goes to Biff--- I had almost
forgotten about him. For partial I have to go with Hank Snow on Nobody's
Child.

Larry Davis

Oct 27, 2000, 10:58:09 PM10/27/00
You guys have spiked my interest with these. I've never seen an album by
Stuart Hamblen. Was there ever anything on CD? I also didn't know Eddie
Albert made recordings. Something else to look for.........

Another good recitation that is quite convincing is Roy Acuff on "Mother
Hold Me Tight". This was his first duet single with Kitty Wells in 1955. The
flip side is "Goodbye Mr. Brown".

While not a charting hit. "Goodbye Mr. Brown" is an interesting contrast to
the Justin Tubb/Lorene Mann record "Hurry Mr. Peters" in 1965. The first is
about two people with the urge deciding to cool it for the sake of their
families. The second is about two people with the urge about to commit
adultery with no obvious reservations. What a difference ten years can make
in what's considered an acceptable song topic.

Larry Davis
--
Participate in a new group devoted to Classic Country
http://www.onelist.com/group/ClassicCountryMusic1940sto1960s

"roswell63" <rosw...@home.com> wrote in message

Dan Cutrer

Oct 28, 2000, 10:15:29 AM10/28/00

Larry Davis wrote:

> You guys have spiked my interest with these. I've never seen an album by
> Stuart Hamblen. Was there ever anything on CD? I also didn't know Eddie
> Albert made recordings. Something else to look for.........

I broke down and reloaded Napster to check for Eddie Albert, found only
a recitation of "Blowing In the Wind." Downloaded about 15 seconds of
it, listened to it, deleted it before I got any more of it. AWFUL!

Early Morning Rain prompted me to recall I had a version of it by Mr.
J.L. Lewis, much of which is recitation. I've long been fascinated by
the song, Mr. Lewis' is one of the best I've ever heard. Surprising
that the Old Killer can lend his magic to most anything.

Geff King

Oct 27, 2000, 1:40:37 PM10/27/00
Baltimore DJ Ray Davis did a couple of good ones, including "If Jesus
Came to Your House" and "Little Orphan Joe." If you check out
http://www.wamu.org/ his radio show is simulcast between about 3pm and
6pm EST.

==
Geff King * .gov librarian by day * c+w bass player by night
mail gk...@bookcase.com * www http://www.bookcase.com/~gking/

pau...@my-deja.com

Oct 28, 2000, 4:24:42 PM10/28/00
Interesting thread indeed. My faves include "Golden Guitar" and "Phantom
309" but dandies came from the late Johnny Bond "Hot Rod Lincoln" and
"Ten Little Bottles." Which leads to this question: howcum you can't
hear recitations in country music anymore?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

TnnesseeTitans

Oct 29, 2000, 12:48:44 AM10/29/00
> Which leads to this question: howcum you can't
>hear recitations in country music anymore?<

I don't think that's true. Seems to me Alan Jackson had a dreadful one, a
couple of years ago.

roswell63

Oct 29, 2000, 1:11:33 AM10/29/00

> I broke down and reloaded Napster to check for Eddie Albert, found only
> a recitation of "Blowing In the Wind." Downloaded about 15 seconds of
> it, listened to it, deleted it before I got any more of it. AWFUL!

Dan,
Did you happen to look for "That's What It's Like to Be Lonesome" on
Napster? I found it there. But, maybe you were referring to a real record.

roswell63

Oct 29, 2000, 1:54:10 AM10/29/00
"Louis Claeson" <Car...@webtv.net> wrote in message
When I bring up the topic of recitations, the problem always arises over
what "is" a recitation. Each of us has our own interpretation. For me a
"true" recitation is spoken, tells a story, and doesn't repeat anything. I
agree with Louis about the 2 types, total and partial. Some people's
"partial" gets pretty small sometimes though. :-) Now, just because my
definition is what it is, doesn't mean I don't consider something like
"Ballad of Ira Hayes" a recitation because of the refrain inserted several
times. Recently I got Bill Anderson's "I Wonder If God Likes Country
Music". It's more singing than spoken. But, I think I'll put it in my
recitation collection anyway because I like it. So, as long as it has some
spoken words parts and you like it, go for it I say.

roswell63

Oct 29, 2000, 2:19:54 AM10/29/00
"TnnesseeTitans" <tnnesse...@aol.com> wrote in message
I think the "novelty" recitation/narrative will come around from time to
time, but the "serious" recitation is unfortunately dead, in my opinion.
The target audience isn't old enough to have memories of tougher times
(depression, wars etc.) I think are required to inspire a good recitation.
Everything is modernized today, life is easy. I don't know about the rest
of you, but recitations touch me deeply and my favorites usually teach me
morals, family values, how to treat others etc. Since those are missing
from society today, how could it ever sell? And, let's face it, money "IS"
the bottom line.

TnnesseeTitans

Oct 29, 2000, 3:29:09 AM10/29/00
>The target audience isn't old enough to have memories of tougher times
>(depression, wars etc.) I think are required to inspire a good recitation.<

Not just a good recitation, but also a good song. I hate to keep harping on the
importance of the blues, but they are almost an essential ingredient in any
great song. Almost any list of "standards", will show how true this is.

>Everything is modernized today, life is easy. <

Maybe for you, but I'm not sure it's true in general. Life will always be
difficult, because in most cases, your happiness depends on people and things
other than yourself. We can control ourselves, but we cannot control other
people or our enviroment. It's a constant juggling act, that we all have to
play. To keep on topic, as Willie Nelson wrote "Nobody slides, my friend'.

>my favorites usually teach me
>morals, family values, how to treat others etc. Since those are missing from
society today, how could it ever sell? <

Again, I don't think they're missing from society today, or have ever been. Nor
will they ever be. Society and life in general is governed by rules. If you
follow the rules, your life will be successful and fulfilled. If you don't,
you are doomed to failure. It's as old as time itself.

> I don't know about the rest
>of you, but recitations touch me deeply <

I posted earlier about "Big Joe And Phantom 309', but your post reminds me of
one I've overlooked. A few years ago, while experiencing some marital problems,
I was listening to my tapes, which I've made alphabetically. I happened to be
listening to the one that included, among others, my favorite songs by Jimmy
Dean. On it, was his recitation that I believe was called, "To A Sleeping
Beauty".In it, he walks into his daughter's room, to check on her, before going
to bed, and talks to himself, imagining she was listening. Now even though I've
heard the song dozens of times, but at that time, because it appeared almost
certain, that I was heading for a divorce, and soon might never get the chance
to "tuck" my own daughter in, my eyes started to tear up, and I had to shut the
tape off. I've never listened to that song or even that tape again. Things are
better, thankfully, now, but I don't know if I'm ready yet, to give that song
another listen. Not only did it touch me, like no other song ever has, it
nearly ripped out my heart. (Yeah I know, that's impossible, because I don't
have one!) :)

Ann Eskayo

Oct 29, 2000, 3:39:12 AM10/29/00

Ann Eskayo

Oct 29, 2000, 3:37:37 AM10/29/00

Dan Cutrer

Oct 29, 2000, 10:17:25 AM10/29/00

roswell63 wrote:

> "Dan Cutrer" <dcu...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > I broke down and reloaded Napster to check for Eddie Albert, found only
> > a recitation of "Blowing In the Wind." Downloaded about 15 seconds of
> > it, listened to it, deleted it before I got any more of it. AWFUL!
>
> Dan,
> Did you happen to look for "That's What It's Like to Be Lonesome" on
> Napster? I found it there. But, maybe you were referring to a real record.

No, it's on the Ray Price Bear Family cd set, of all the Bear Family
sets I've heard, Ray's gets my vote for best value for the (very, no,
ULTRA expensive in Europe these days) US Dollar.

There's three versions of "I Must Find A Way to Free Myself From Loving
You", with subtle differences (a changed lyric, a slightly different
kick off by Tommy Jackson's fiddle ...) on each track. While some of
the tracks are overly orchestrated, well over half, even 2/3rds are
straight-ahead, kick-ass country music, much of it with the shuffle
beat. As a friend put it in a private email last week, say what you
will about the tux's, the toupees, the lavish strings, when Ray's obit
is written they'll have to credit him with at least being there when the
shuffle beat was created. His role in creating it might be questioned,
but, recalling a tad bit of Latin, "res ipsa loquitur", the thing
speaks for itself.

I had some spare time and reloaded Napster just to see what might be
there in a few Very Obscure query's, none of which would have the
slightest possibility of being available commercially. It appears the
number of libraries and songs are up by half since I was on a few months
ago, but they're repeats of things that were on there a few months
ago. Except Eddie Albert, who I had never thought of before.

For a country fan looking for a great Holiday present for themself, get
the Ray Price Bear Family set. It may get better, but I haven't found
it yet.

Dan Cutrer

Oct 29, 2000, 10:28:07 AM10/29/00

roswell63 wrote:

> "TnnesseeTitans" <tnnesse...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Which leads to this question: howcum you can't
> > >hear recitations in country music anymore?<
> >
> > I don't think that's true. Seems to me Alan Jackson had a dreadful one, a
> > couple of years ago.
> >
> I think the "novelty" recitation/narrative will come around from time to
> time, but the "serious" recitation is unfortunately dead,

And couldn't get radio play when many country stations have a playlist
of 30 to 50 songs, (actually, MOST of 'em are programmed via satellite
from Dallas or Colorado or Phoenix, and are "local" only in that the
'talent' from those satellite radio companies record stuff to be
inserted locally over record intros) would have limited possibilities
of being recorded by other artists, wouldn't make a great music video,
etc.

The ultimate recitation that nobody has yet mentioned is Big Bad John.
Jimmy Dean didn't have a hit every year, but every few years he'd knock
your socks off with something completely out of left field, e.g.,
PT109??? Owner at WYNK in Baton Rouge wouldn't let us play PT109 even
after 11/22/63, 'cause he still hated JFK.

Dan Cutrer

Oct 29, 2000, 10:29:39 AM10/29/00

TnnesseeTitans wrote:

> >The target audience isn't old enough to have memories of tougher times
> >(depression, wars etc.) I think are required to inspire a good recitation.<
>
> Not just a good recitation, but also a good song. I hate to keep harping on the
> importance of the blues, but they are almost an essential ingredient in any
> great song. Almost any list of "standards", will show how true this is.

Oh, I don't think I've ever told this group before, I singlehandedly
and Many Many Years Ago, wrote the all-time favorite song of DEAD blues
singers:

"I didn't wake up this mornin' ..."

Okay. No more caffeine for me today! <g>

deep...@ugaalum.uga.edu

Oct 29, 2000, 2:21:30 PM10/29/00
Sure. Burt Reynold's had a pretty good recitation of "Room for a Boy,
Never Used" which I always liked. That is, as I recall, another one
of Dick Feller's fine pieces. Don't always like everything Burt does,
but if he didn't already exist, someone would have had to invent him.
~~ db

Floyd T. Gentry

Oct 29, 2000, 7:25:09 PM10/29/00
Ray pounced on the shuffle beat but I can show you many artist who used it
before Ray. It was just uptempo. Check Crazy Arms and you'll find a straight
one two beat. Ray popularized it. That's for sure. Floyd

Dan Cutrer wrote:

--
ICQ# 10268424

Geff King

Nov 2, 2000, 11:14:51 AM11/2/00
roswell63 <rosw...@home.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Tom and I have a "passion" for recitations. I would like to
> correspond with others with the same "passion".

> My personal favorite for recitations is Tex Ritter and his "Just Beyond the
> Moon" album.

I just thought of one more: Kinky Friedman does a brief recitation on
Corned Beef on Rye" complete with multiple characters. Kinda depressing,
but technically not bad.

__

bonbon...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2020, 1:46:05 AM6/7/20
The ultimate recitation country artist for me is Dick Miles. My mother had his album The Last Goodbye and used to play it al.ost every Saturday when she was cleaning the house. She and all 4 of us child r en would be bawling when listening to the songs. My mom died in 1974 when I was just 9 years old. We would play this album and remember her and cry. The songs The Touch of Her Hand and Thank you for Loving Me always reminded me so much of my mom. I always thought that they should play the song The Runt over every PA system in every school to teach kids a lesson about bullying. It still holds true more than ever in these times.