Re: "An ill wind that nobody blows good", I remember from a Danny Kaye film called "Up in Arms". His wife's name was Sylvia Fine, daughter of a dentist where Danny briefly worked & carved patterns in the chair! My e-m is margaretbrisley@hotmail.com

Margaret Brisley

Apr 1, 2020, 12:48:23 PM4/1/20
On Sunday, April 5, 1998 at 9:00:00 AM UTC+1, Bernie T wrote:
> A local journalist made the following remark which he claims is a quote
> from Duke Ellington.
>
> "The clarinet is an ill woodwind that no one blows good"
>
> Now knowing that Jimmy Hamilton and Barney Bigard played with Ellington
> ...I have a tough time believing Ellington would say such a dumb thing !
>
> However over in RMB a couple of guys think that Ogden Nash may have said
> the above remark and would have said it about the oboe and not the
> clarinet.
>
> To me that sounds very likely but if that is true does anyone know in
> what context Nash would have made that remark ? Was it in a poem ? an
> article ? etc
>
> One other person attributed the comment to Danny Kaye....written by his
> wife Sylvia Nash..
>
> If that is true where would he have uttered such a comment ?
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Bernie T

Fred McKenzie

Apr 1, 2020, 3:59:47 PM4/1/20
In article <a654b7af-40d5-476d...@googlegroups.com>,
Margaret-

I had a hard time reading your reply as a Title, so here is a copy:

"An ill wind that nobody blows good", I remember from a Danny Kaye film
called "Up in Arms". His wife's name was Sylvia Fine, daughter of a
dentist where Danny briefly worked & carved patterns in the chair! My
e-mail is margaretbrisley at hotmail dot com.

Do you recall what the "Ill Wind" was in that film?

I wonder if Bernie T is still around?

Fred
MMB