Clarinet Help, Please

Steven

Dec 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/14/98
Hi. I just bought a clarinet for my son, and wanted to know if this
is a good brand. He is a pretty experienced player, though there's
been a few months since he last played. It's made by Fisher, which is
supposedly German. Can someone give me their opinions on this brand?
Finally, does anyone know of any online repositories where he could
download some sheet music, to get started? Thank you.
-------------------
Steven Beigelmacher
Bage...@tiac.net

Jason Haggenjos

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Just out of curiousity.... why does he need music to get started if he's an
experienced player?

I haven't heard of Fisher personally.

LeliaLoban

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Steven Beigelmacher wrote,

>Hi. I just bought a clarinet for my son, and wanted to know if this
>is a good brand. He is a pretty experienced player, though there's
>been a few months since he last played. It's made by Fisher, which is
>supposedly German. Can someone give me their opinions on this brand?

You don't mention whether this is a new or used instrument. I don't know about
a "Fisher" with that spelling, but if it's a used Carl Fischer clarinet, then
it's a stencil instrument. It's called that because Fischer (same company as
the big music publisher and stores) didn't actually manufacture clarinets.
Fischer had the brand name stencilled onto clarinets made by other companies.
Over the years, a number of different manufacturers made clarinets under the
"Fischer" stencil. The quality varies a great deal, although I believe most(if
not all) of these were student instruments. I've been trying to find out who
made my student quality Fischer hard rubber clarinet (probably from the late
1940s or early 1950s) with no success, and have been unable to find information
on the Internet about who made what, when under the Fischer brand name, so I'd
be interested in more information.

Lelia
Please delete NOSPAM from my address to reply by e-mail.

n...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
bage...@tiac.net (Steven ) wrote:
> Hi. I just bought a clarinet for my son, and wanted to know if this
> is a good brand. He is a pretty experienced player, though there's
> been a few months since he last played. It's made by Fisher, which is
> supposedly German. Can someone give me their opinions on this brand?
> Finally, does anyone know of any online repositories where he could
> download some sheet music, to get started? Thank you.

you can order clarinet sheet music online
at http://www.sheetmusicplus.com

Steven

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
On 15 Dec 1998 17:23:40 GMT, lelia...@aol.comNOSPAM (LeliaLoban)
wrote:
You're right about the spelling..I just checked. Is there a way to
see, based on any provided serial numbers, what kind of quality this
instrument is? As well, is there anything wrong with a student
clarinet?

>You don't mention whether this is a new or used instrument. I don't know about
>a "Fisher" with that spelling, but if it's a used Carl Fischer clarinet, then
>it's a stencil instrument. It's called that because Fischer (same company as
>the big music publisher and stores) didn't actually manufacture clarinets.
>Fischer had the brand name stencilled onto clarinets made by other companies.
>Over the years, a number of different manufacturers made clarinets under the
>"Fischer" stencil. The quality varies a great deal, although I believe most(if
>not all) of these were student instruments. I've been trying to find out who
>made my student quality Fischer hard rubber clarinet (probably from the late
>1940s or early 1950s) with no success, and have been unable to find information
>on the Internet about who made what, when under the Fischer brand name, so I'd
>be interested in more information.
>
>Lelia
>Please delete NOSPAM from my address to reply by e-mail.

-------------------
Steven Beigelmacher
Bage...@tiac.net

Steven

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:25:28 -0500, "Jason Haggenjos"
<jhag...@indiana.edu_REMOVE_THIS> wrote:

>Just out of curiousity.... why does he need music to get started if he's an
>experienced player?
>
>I haven't heard of Fisher personally.

Up until now, he's always played in various school bands, but
recently, due to his program, had to drop band. Thus, we decided to
buy him a clarinet. We're going to get him some music, but as I said,
he's going to be anxious to play. Thank you.
-------------------
Steven Beigelmacher
Bage...@tiac.net

LeliaLoban

Dec 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/15/98
Steven Beigelmacher wrote,

> Is there a way to
>see, based on any provided serial numbers, what kind of quality this
>instrument is?

For the major brands of professional instruments, www.sneezy.org provides
serial numbers with dates. Unfortunately, I don't know of any source for
Fischer serial numbers.

>As well, is there anything wrong with a student
>clarinet?

Since your son is a student, IMHO a student clarinet is probably just what he
needs. Professional instruments reward the advanced player, but the advantage
to instruments made especially for students is that they're designed to be
easier and less frustrating for less experienced people to play. There are
good student clarinets and bad ones. The tricky bit with Fischers is that it's
impossible to generalize about them, because apparently some are good, some are
screech-sticks, and others are anywhere in between, depending on who made them
and when. So all that counts is whether the one you bought handles well and
sounds right.

If this one came with a no-name mouthpiece, or one that has a chip in the tip
or other damage, it might be worthwhile to spend another $25-30 or so (not sure
what they sell for right now) on a Hite Premiere mouthpiece, or another good
one designed for students. The mouthpiece matters as much as, if not more
than, the clarinet. I own a Hite Premier think they're a fine value for the
dollar. I'm an adult amateur, BTW, and I think it's a good idea to keep at
least one sturdy student clarinet and mouthpiece as spares and for playing
outdoors, even if/when your son moves along far enough to want to spend the
bucks on a professional quality clarinet. Hope he does move along! Sometimes
a break from playing is just what someone needs. That's how it worked with me,
anyway.

Steven

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 21:15:35 -0600, "Dee D. Hays" <dee...@dtgnet.com>
wrote:

>Is there any other information on the horns? Some of the time, the Carl
>Fischer company did include the actual manufacturer on the instrument. I
>have one stenciled Carl Fischer BUT it also is engraved "Artist Model" and
>"G. Pruefer" and that it was made in the US. I also found a little about
>the company on the internet. Pruefer also of course sold under their own
>name and according to the information that I have they also contracted to
>sell instruments to the US Government. They made quite good clarinets but
>have been out of this business now for several decades.

Here is all the information I could fine. Under the thumb rest, it
says MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA. As well, on the bottom of the top
barrel, on the thumb rest side, it says:
8
5622
Correspondingly, directly under the "5622", on the top of the bottom
barrel, it says:
5622 again. Can anyone help me figure out which manufacturer produced
this clarinet? As well, would it be possible to determine the
quality? Those are the only markings I could fine, other then the
Carl Fischer stamp on the top, and on the bell. Thanks.
-------------------
Steven Beigelmacher
Bage...@tiac.net

Dee D. Hays

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Steven wrote in message <36773106...@news.tiac.net>...

The "8" is probably a "B" which of course means the horn is in Bb. The
other numbers are the serial number. Double check the spelling on
Czechoslovakia. This country only existed for two short periods of time.
The first time was between WWI and WWII. I don't recall the start date for
this period but the end date was 1938. The second period began sometime
after WWII and ended just a few years ago. The spelling of the country name
differed slightly so you can usually tell what era the horn was made. I
can't recall what that difference is as I didn't write it down when I came
across that information.

It's unlikely to be a pro grade instrument. It certainly would not have
been by any of today's major makers (such as Leblanc, Selmer, or Buffet. I
have read that Buffet did have some instruments sold under the Fischer
stencil but they would not have been made in Czechoslovakia).

Dee Hays
Canton, SD

Paul Lindemeyer

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Dee D. Hays wrote:

> Steven wrote in message <36773106...@news.tiac.net>...

> >Here is all the information I could fine. Under the thumb rest, it

> >says MADE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA. As well, on the bottom of the top
> >barrel, on the thumb rest side, it says:
> > 8
> >5622
> >Correspondingly, directly under the "5622", on the top of the bottom
> >barrel, it says:
> >5622 again. Can anyone help me figure out which manufacturer produced
> >this clarinet? As well, would it be possible to determine the
> >quality? Those are the only markings I could fine, other then the
> >Carl Fischer stamp on the top, and on the bell. Thanks.
> >-------------------
> >Steven Beigelmacher
> >Bage...@tiac.net
>
> The "8" is probably a "B" which of course means the horn is in Bb. The
> other numbers are the serial number. Double check the spelling on
> Czechoslovakia. This country only existed for two short periods of time.
> The first time was between WWI and WWII. I don't recall the start date for
> this period but the end date was 1938. The second period began sometime
> after WWII and ended just a few years ago. The spelling of the country name
> differed slightly so you can usually tell what era the horn was made. I
> can't recall what that difference is as I didn't write it down when I came
> across that information.

Back in the 20s and 30s you often saw it written "Czecho-Slovakia." Of
course now the Czechs and Slovaks are 2 nations again...

--

Paul Lindemeyer <pau...@cyburban.com>
CELEBRATING THE SAXOPHONE: The Book

Robert Martin

Dec 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/17/98

Paul Lindemeyer wrote:

> Back in the 20s and 30s you often saw it written "Czecho-Slovakia." Of
> course now the Czechs and Slovaks are 2 nations again...
>
> --
>
> Paul Lindemeyer <pau...@cyburban.com>

"Again"???? Well, I'm not sure they were really countries as such until
thiscentury. These areas were provinces, "kingdoms" or whatever under the
Austro-Hungarian Hapsburg empire. For centuries, they were really governed
by Vienna. After WWI, the Hapsburg empire was carved up and several
new countries resulted. Czechoslovakia was formed as a makeshift marriage
of the slovak regions in the east and the Czech/Bohemia regions in the west.
Fortunately for central Europe, the divorce of this country into the two new
countries has been smooth and is a real contrast to the ethnic bloodbath in
Yugoslavia's breakup (also a makeshift marriage in the beginning).

A more interesting history for musicians is the small town in northwest
Bohemia (now a province of the Czech Republic) almost at the German
border. When this region was mainly a German population, the town
went by the name Graslitz. This area flourished
as a town of musical instrument makers between WWI and WWII
(maybe earlier?). Keilwerth and Kohlert are two names many
will recognize from this town. There were may independents.

In 1938, this was part of the region which Hitler claimed
was so densely populated by
Germans, that he wanted the area annexed to Germany. Thus, the
infamous Munich agreement. At the end of the war, there was a backlash
from the Czechs and most of the German population emigrated out
of Bohemia and into West Germany. There were terrific mass movements
of people all over central europe during those years.

Many of these German musical instrument makers came to West Germany.
Keilwerth, for example, moved shop to the Frankfurt area. Kohlert
also moved to Germany. The instrument makers
that stayed in Graslitz formed a larger government owned company
which became know as Amati. This was the communist era of
conglomoration into government companies.
Graslitz is, of course, the German name
for the town. It is know now by its Czech name of Kraslice (they are really
pronounced the same inspite of the large spelling difference). Many
of us have come across Amati-Kraslice on modern Czech instruments.

So this may explain some of the confusion one sees on vintage instruments
which have German (now) manufacturers but Czech or Bohemian identities.
At least it is a clue to dating the instrument.

Regards,

Bob

Dr. Bones

Dec 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/18/98
There's always Fisher Price...
LeliaLoban wrote in message
<19981215122340...@ng-ca1.aol.com>...
>Steven Beigelmacher wrote,

>>Hi. I just bought a clarinet for my son, and wanted to know if this
>>is a good brand. He is a pretty experienced player, though there's
>>been a few months since he last played. It's made by Fisher, which is
>>supposedly German. Can someone give me their opinions on this brand?
>
>You don't mention whether this is a new or used instrument. I don't know
about
>a "Fisher" with that spelling, but if it's a used Carl Fischer clarinet,
then
>it's a stencil instrument. It's called that because Fischer (same company
as
>the big music publisher and stores) didn't actually manufacture clarinets.
>Fischer had the brand name stencilled onto clarinets made by other
companies.
>Over the years, a number of different manufacturers made clarinets under
the
>"Fischer" stencil. The quality varies a great deal, although I believe
most(if
>not all) of these were student instruments. I've been trying to find out
who
>made my student quality Fischer hard rubber clarinet (probably from the
late
>1940s or early 1950s) with no success, and have been unable to find
information
>on the Internet about who made what, when under the Fischer brand name, so
I'd
>be interested in more information.

Douglas A.Denny

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
In article <36790949...@azstarnet.com>, Robert Martin
<r...@azstarnet.com> writes

Letter from England.

Bob, By the crikey, Professor!, you sure do know your stuff. Your
article very interesting. I have always admired academic chaps and
chapesses. (Don't ask my wife about the English Tudor dynasty or you'll
be here all day!.
Anyway, in the 20's/30's my postage stamps had Cesko Slovensko on each.
also, if the clart was stamped in Germany would probably be spelt
Fischer. Just thought I'd chuck that couple in for the benefit of the
symposium.
By the way, - got any shares in the Bob Martin's Dog Powders firm?.
(Joke!). (Yuor riposte should be, "You got any in Denny's bacon?"!.
Have a nice Mew Year, pal!,
--Doug

Douglas A.Denny

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99

Letter from England.

be here all day!. Just for the record the idiots in charge here have
agreed to split up the Union (Britain comprising England, Scotland and
Wales all under the Westminster govt.) The last two to have their own
laws and taxes yet having a say in Westminster. No further comment.
Anyway, in the 20's/30's my postage stamps had Csesko Slovensko on each.

If the clart was stamped in Germany would probably be spelt

Fischer. Just thought I'd chuck that couple in for the benefit of the
symposium.
By the way, - got any shares in the Bob Martin's Dog Powders firm?.

(Joke!). (You riposte should be, "You got any in Denny's bacon?"!.

Have a nice Mew Year, pal!,
--Doug

--
Douglas A.Denny