Difficult Clarinet Solos

Remini...@webtv.net

Jul 21, 2001, 3:10:20 PM7/21/01
Hey every1 I'm Rob I've been playing Clarinet for 6 years. Is there
anyone out there that knows or have played any extremely challenging
clarinet solos?? if so please type the name here so I can find it
online and buy it :) thanks

Maik Backes

Jul 22, 2001, 3:04:36 AM7/22/01
Hi !

Try : Igor Strawinsky - Three pieces for clarinet solo
J.Fr. Hummel - Concert for clarinet Nr.1 (E flat major) & 2 (F
minor)

Maik

Vinnie

Jul 22, 2001, 11:37:26 AM7/22/01
Hindemth - Sonata

John H. Morrison

Jul 22, 2001, 1:56:07 PM7/22/01
<Remini...@webtv.net> wrote:

Peter Maxwell Davies: "The Seven Brightnesses" (I think that's the title.)

John E Dove

Jul 22, 2001, 3:53:07 PM7/22/01

Huh? Johann Friedrich Hummel was a composer and oboist who lived before the clarinet was invented. Or is this the modern person who orchestrated the piano part for the Brahms sonatas (No. 1 in E flat, No. 2 in f minor) in order to make them <shudder> into clarinet concertos?

I guess I'd add the Nielsen Clarinet Concerto. But these questions are difficult to answer. Some would surely say that the most difficult concerto is the one by Mozart!!! --JED.
<>

Maik Backes

Jul 23, 2001, 6:10:08 AM7/23/01
"John E Dove" <7116...@CompuServe.COM> wrote

> Huh? Johann Friedrich Hummel was a composer and oboist who lived before
the clarinet was invented. Or is this the modern person who orchestrated
the piano >part for the Brahms sonatas (No. 1 in E flat, No. 2 in f minor)
in order to make them <shudder> into clarinet concertos?

You mean Johann Nepomuk Hummel (1778-1837)
I mean Joseph Friedrich Hummel (1841-1919)

I proposed the works of Joseph Friedrich Hummel. And the "modern clarinet"
was invented 1812 by Iwan Müller. I think you mean the Bärmann clarinet
invented 1890 who solved several technical complications.

Greatings Maik

John E Dove

Jul 23, 2001, 7:31:55 AM7/23/01
My reference is to another Johann Friedrich Hummel. He was
oboist in the Hofkapelle in Kassel from 1720 to 1726, and then
was oboist in Ansbach around 1746. Have the recent Hummel's
concertos been published or recorded? --JED.

jazz.jackson

Jul 23, 2001, 7:43:31 AM7/23/01

<Remini...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Where do you buy your music online? Could any post some good sites?
Thanks!
Tom

Hans Christian Dörrscheidt

Jul 23, 2001, 10:58:31 AM7/23/01
Try the two clarinet works by Jean Francaix. The concerto is written in the
key of A major, but for Bb-clarinet, and if I remember correctly, it was the
other way 'round with the sonata, which is written for A clarinet, but with
similar difficult key signatures. Nevertheless the concerto is a very nice
piece, at least to my ears.

Donna S. Wiles

Jul 23, 2001, 12:26:21 PM7/23/01
I agree totally about the Francaix. I have been playing for 14 years, 6
of them professionally, and I am spending time on the Concerto now.
It's a very time-consuming piece.

I do have to admit, though, that I believe the toughest piece to perform
on the clarinet is the Mozart concerto. When a piece is that beautiful,
yet not too technically difficult, you are required to be the most
musical you have ever been. Also, if you miss a note, everyone will
know.

I would say, though, that you should find a piece that challenges your
personal inconsistencies. That is the way to get past your shortcomings
in your playing. You'll find, however, that they are ever-changing.

Good luck to you.

Donna S. Wiles
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Maurice Scheepers

Jul 23, 2001, 1:09:47 PM7/23/01

<Remini...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Hello,

Do you know "the Flight of the Bumble Bee"? (arrangement for clarinet) You
can find it on
http://www.music-scores.com/members/clarinet.htm

Succes!

Maurice.

Maurice Scheepers

Jul 23, 2001, 5:34:57 PM7/23/01

"Maurice Scheepers" <fam.sc...@NOSPAMwolmail.nl> wrote in message

> <Remini...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > Hey every1 I'm Rob I've been playing Clarinet for 6 years. Is there
> > anyone out there that knows or have played any extremely challenging
> > clarinet solos?? if so please type the name here so I can find it
> > online and buy it :) thanks

Hello,

I know an other realy, difficult and very funny clarinet solo:

It's called "Always Smaller" (In German: Immer Kleiner).
I don't know the composer / arangement anymore, but I can look it up for
you.

In the beginning you start to play with the whole clarinet (as usually...)
but after a while you have to remove the bell, and play on. Then you have
to remove the lower part of the clarinet and play on, then the upper part,
etc. On the end you have to play a few (different) notes with only the
mouthpiece!!!!

Don't worry, there's a lot of text between the music that says "where to
remove wich part" and that explains what the composer means. An other funny
part is where you have to play a tremolo (G-A) whith your left hand, en with
your right hand a melody in 16th notes..... (Yes: it's a solo for ONE
clarinet :-)))

Our solo clarinetist from our orchestra played this ones, I don't know if
there is a recording from this music. If you are interested, I'll ask
around over here.

Good luck,

Maurice.

Hans Christian Dörrscheidt

Jul 24, 2001, 4:45:52 AM7/24/01
Ain't that unfair, you struggle time and again to get those difficult
Francaix passages under your fingers, yet nobody is going to complain (or
even note) if you miss one of those 16th triplet notes. But just slightly
crack one eighth note in the Mozart, and everybody goes like "Ahhh, that's
easy, he/she fluffed that one!"

That's why I somehow never got to like playing the Mozart, 'cause I'm more
of a note eater ;-)

But especially the slow movement of Francaix concerto is harmonically a
caress to my ears.

Lisa

Jul 26, 2001, 9:42:16 PM7/26/01
Hello all,
Some of my favorite difficult clarinet pieces, which I have mentioned
on this newsgroup before:
Introduction, Theme, and Variations by Rossini
Concertino by Weber
Weber's first clarinet concerto (I like the Polacca movement)
Lisa

ginger....@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2018, 2:45:19 PM2/5/18
HAHAHA Intro, Theme, and Variations by Rossini. Have fun with that!

daisyd...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2018, 7:43:37 PM6/11/18
On Saturday, July 21, 2001 at 3:10:20 PM UTC-4, Remini...@webtv.net wrote:
flight of the bumblebee