Joseph Erskine

John E. Wetzel

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

Joseph Erskine was a woodwind teacher, mostly clarinet, in the
Elkhart, Indiana area in the 1940s. He played in the various
local symphonies (Elkhart, South Bend, etc.), and he was involved
in the design of the Selmer Signet student clarinet, if memory
serves. I believe he died in the early (?) 1980s.

I took lessons from him weekly when I was in high school.

Does anyone in this group recall him? I'd love to know a little
more about him. He was a wonderful clarinet teacher, whom,
unfortunately, I did not appreciate at the time.

--Jack

mhl...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2014, 10:11:33 PM4/5/14
I knew Joe; he was married to my cousin, Treva Wharton. They lived in
Elkhart,Indiana. He was a nice gentleman.I only knew that he was involved
with music and was a teacher.

steve.c...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2016, 2:04:44 PM4/16/16
On Tuesday, February 24, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, John E. Wetzel wrote:
> Joseph Erskine was a woodwind teacher, mostly clarinet, in the
> Elkhart, Indiana area in the 1940s. He played in the various
> local symphonies (Elkhart, South Bend, etc.), and he was involved
> in the design of the Selmer Signet student clarinet, if memory
> serves. I believe he died in the early (?) 1980s.
>
> I took lessons from him weekly when I was in high school.
>
> Does anyone in this group recall him? I'd love to know a little
> more about him. He was a wonderful clarinet teacher, whom,
> unfortunately, I did not appreciate at the time.
>
> --Jack

I also took saxophone lessons from Mr. Erskine in the late '70's. I came across your entry here while doing some reading about jazz online and curious if I could find any info on Joe's background. I remember he was into swing but didn't know anything about him as a kid. I always enjoyed taking lessons from him and still enjoy jazz to this day, probably due to his influence and teachings.