Meeting Brian Eno

le...@netcomuk.co.uk

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

My one small link to Brian Eno fame is this: I met him at the late 80s
ECHOES FROM THE CROSS
concert. I just met him briefly & got his autograph. I should think that
many of you know these concerts
but for those who don’t here are the details:

I had been an admirer of Russell Mills’ work & after correspondence with
him he invited me to his studio
in Vauxhall, London. I bought 3 paintings (nothing to do with Eno’s work)
on 2 visits but whilst there he
showed me several of the paintings which he’d done for the ENO/MILLS
book. The one I remember the
most was the one done for Backwater. During converstation I said that in
the Rock World the word
“genius” was branded about alot but Russell said that Eno was worthy of
that title.

Anyway, every year Russell arranged a benefit concert for St.Peter’s
Church in Vauxhall, London. I don’t
know what these concerts are still going on. The year I went Brian Eno
was filming it. I don’t know what
happened to the video - whether it was just filmed as a promo video for
Land Records. Playing that year
was Michael Brook, Roger Eno & an Armenian player whose name I’ve
forgotten. In the audience was
David Sylvian with Yuka Fujii. Sylvian had been supposed to play that
night but recording commitments
meant he didn’t.

The concert itself was great especially Michael Brook’s playng.

Regards,
Paul

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~lenin/Eno.html

Mike Zed

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

In <34B030...@netcomuk.co.uk> le...@netcomuk.co.uk writes:

>My one small link to Brian Eno fame is this: I met him at the late 80s

OK, I'll chime in with my own contact with the man. I was at the
Concorde Gallery in NY and enjoying the installation (Manhattan videos)
and a familiar man in an overcoat was fussing with one of the 3/4"
playback decks. When he was done I approached (no autograph request)
and asked about the process of videotaping. He said they were done
with the cheapest knock-about camera set up to record out the window of
his apartment all day long. A quick scan at night gave him a selection
of ominous and ethereal moments to choose from. He was was very
pleasant to speak with. I also saw him in LA on the interview tour for
Wrong Way Up, interviewed by Mark Frost (co-producer of Twin Peaks).
He kept the Q&A going for such an extended time that he had to excuse
himself to use the bathroom. Unfortunately, he left his wireless mic
on, and the audience got a rather physical experience of one usually so
reserved. Though I wonder how embarassed he really was, given his
interest in watersports (cf. the porno cards of the first album and No
Pussyfooting.)

Any one else got a story?

Douglas Bailey

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

mik...@ix.netcom.com(Mike Zed) wrote:

>I also saw him in LA... he had to excuse

>himself to use the bathroom. Unfortunately, he left his wireless mic
>on, and the audience got a rather physical experience of one usually so
>reserved. Though I wonder how embarassed he really was, given his
>interest in watersports (cf. the porno cards of the first album and No
>Pussyfooting.)

Don't forget the bit in A YEAR WITH SWOLLEN APPENDICES where he drinks
his own urine to find out how it tastes... (26 August entry, if you're
interested).

doug

douglas bailey (trys...@ne.mediaone.net)
don't you let my letter get you down...

KingoGrief

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

>Don't forget the bit in A YEAR WITH SWOLLEN APPENDICES where he drinks
>his own urine to find out how it tastes... (26 August entry, if you're
>interested).

hey...don't give things away...i just got the book for christmas and have yet
to crack it open...

jeff