meaning for Taking Tiger Mtn. title track

Robert Goodman

Mar 18, 2016, 2:16:38 AM3/18/16
Meaning FOR, rather than meaning OF, because I'm pretty sure this meaning of the lyrics is serendipitous, not intended. It just happens to fit. It's about the abortive construction of the Russian-American Telegraph.

"We climbed and we climbed", etc. -- up a lot of poles if nowhere else!

"Over the stars" -- "over" in the sense of going north from, "the stars" as in Stars & Stripes, i.e. the USA, into British Columbia.

"...to top Tiger Mountain" -- there's a Tiger Mtn. near Seattle which would've been close to the route the line was to take.

"Forcing the lines through the snow." -- through the snow of Russian America, which is now Alaska.

Robert