When did Billy Jump the Shark

MikeC823

Jun 11, 2001, 10:44:31 PM6/11/01
Who listened to Howard Stern this morning? He had a guest on who has a website
- jumptheshark.com. What he does is he (or actually his voters) pick the exact
moment when each tv show ever made "jumps the shark." That means the time that
the tv show became bad (name was created from when Fonzie jumped over sharks in
his motorcycle, apparently the moment when Happy Days jumped the shark). For
example, Dallas jumped the shark when Bobby came back from the dead. Cheers
jumped the shark when Diane left the show. He announced this morning that he
has a new site with Rolling Stone (don't know the link....maybe you can get
there from jumptheshark.com) where they determine when each musician jumped the
shark.

He said that often musicians jump the shark when they come out with a greatest
hits CD. Howard said that the new thing is to come out with greatest hits CDs
but to have a couple new songs. The jump the shark guy said that Billy was the
first one to do that, and that his Greatest Hits CD was just like the others,
crappy new songs. I, however, happen to love You're Only Human, but hate The
Night Is Still Young. Howard asked if that was when Billy jumped the shark.
He said no - Christie Brinkley is when Billy jumped the shark. He said that
"Uptown Girl" is when Billy jumped.

Now I know we all love Billy and would say that he never jumped. Opinions.
Did he jump and if so, when??

CrimeDawg3

Jun 12, 2001, 3:42:29 PM6/12/01
My opinion, biases as it may be, is that he never jumped the shark because I
certaintly can't think of anything I thought of as bad. There isn't anything
I have heard that was bad. Sure, it wasn't great to include only new cover
songs on GH3, but I didn't think it was schlock. Billy tries to be as
anti-schlock as possible.

CD

"MikeC823" <mike...@aol.com> wrote in message

Compchick

Jun 12, 2001, 4:56:46 PM6/12/01
>Now I know we all love Billy and would say that he never jumped. Opinions.
>Did he jump and if so, when??

I don't see how he could have. I personally think his second-best album ever
was River of Dreams in 1993; his last was one of his best efforts. If an artist
who has been around for that long can put out such a terrific album that late
in his career, then it is difficult to suggest that he ever "jumped the shark."

The Mocked One
"Always ready for the next barrage... not that there has to be a next
barrage..."

To stop future mistakes... I'm male. "Chick" is the last part of my last name.

Nate Donchez

Jun 12, 2001, 9:48:31 PM6/12/01
daaaaaaaaah, howard stern is the man i heard it yesterday and today he
talked about innocent man in a rock and roll trivia between hank the angry
drunken dwarf and mark mcgraf

MikeC823

Jun 13, 2001, 9:26:37 AM6/13/01
The question was something to the effect of "What Billy Joel album was a
tribute to 1960s hip hop?" Answer was obviously Innocent Man. Both
contestants, who knew ridiculous obscure info, missed it.

Larry

Jun 13, 2001, 6:44:45 PM6/13/01
Yes, I would say Billy jumped the shark around "Innocent Man" and
especially "Bridge" time. But he jumped back with "Storm Front" and
"River of Dreams", which are both excellent.

Josh

Jun 14, 2001, 2:58:27 AM6/14/01
Maybe he fell off it briefly with GH1&2. I'm more worried about him jumping
off of it now. In 1998 he said he wanted to stop touring before he became a
parody of himself, and I think with each "old shit" tour he embarks on, he's
coming one step closer to that.

Josh

VertigoLand http://members.aol.com/VertigoMan
2001: my space odyssey http://www.ifansci.com/2001
Tape Trading: http://members.aol.com/vertigoman/tapes.html

Compchick

Jun 14, 2001, 6:55:16 AM6/14/01
>Yes, I would say Billy jumped the shark around "Innocent Man" and
>especially "Bridge" time. But he jumped back with "Storm Front" and
>"River of Dreams", which are both excellent.

I don't know. . . "An Innocent Man" was exactly what he wanted -- a tribute to
50's and early 60's rock/pop. And it worked perfectly. With excellent songs, to
boot.

And "The Bridge". . . "The Bridge" is my third favorite Billy Joel album, right
behind "The Nylon Curtain" and "The River of Dreams."

But you bring up an interesting point. . . can someone jump back? Does it work
that way? Does that even make sense with the terminology? Because, I was
thinking about this with Elton John today. . . he would have jumped the shark
with "Blue Moves," jumped back with "Jump Up," jumped the shark again with. . .
um, his 1985 album, probably "Ice on Fire" or "The Fox" or one of those obscure
80's ones. . . jumped back with "Sleeping With the Past" and jumped the shark
with "The One" and jumped back with "Made In England" and. . . well, you see,
it gets really confusing.

MikeC823

Jun 14, 2001, 1:47:22 PM6/14/01
I think the One was much better than Sleeping with the Past. And don't forget
jumping back with the Lion King.

Larry

Jun 14, 2001, 2:52:42 PM6/14/01
I thought "The One" was a fine album.

Compchick

Jun 15, 2001, 6:38:31 AM6/15/01
>I think the One was much better than Sleeping with the Past. And don't
>forget
>jumping back with the Lion King.

I disagree. Sleeping With The Past, which this newsgroup recommended to me, has
rapidly become my third favorite Elton album. The One has always been a
struggle to listen all the way through. And I liked the Lion King. . .

Well, it's all opinion, of course, but I think it's clear that, if one can jump
back after jumping the shark, then certain artists must have done that many
times.

Tsanford2

Jun 16, 2001, 10:23:48 PM6/16/01
>Maybe he fell off it briefly with GH1&2. I'm more worried about him jumping
>off of it now. In 1998 he said he wanted to stop touring before he became a
>parody of himself, and I think with each "old shit" tour he embarks on, he's
>coming one step closer to that.
>

>Josh

I agree I don't think musically he ever jumped the shark, but the constant
touring while continually saying he's done touring I think he has jumped the
shark in this way.

Jim Chambers

Jun 22, 2001, 10:23:43 AM6/22/01
Well, what can you expect from Howard Stern?

I got a rude awakening (literally) this past Monday when the clock radio
went off. The station in Sacramento, CA that I'd been waking up to for the
past few years had switched from a 60's & 70's "more music, less talk"
format to Mr. Stern, who apparently enjoys hearing himself talk. I am still
searching the dial for an alternative.

ecwc.co...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 2:20:07 PM6/8/18
TOTALLY AGREE BILLY JUMPED WITH UPTOWN GIRL!! HE WAS BASICALLY ONLY AWESOME IN THE 70'S!