Further Than Heaven

Sandra van den Berg

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Can anyone give me some information about the Further Than Heaven?

When was the album made, did he write the songs, of did someone else, who?
Why is it not mentioned on the album?

Please help me

Sandra

Anthony

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

In article <01bd9ad7$776202c0$0d17c1c3@sgb>, "Sandra van den Berg"
<s...@kabelfoon.nl> wrote:

I'm curious to know about "Further than Heaven"
Does it have anything to do with Billy Joel?

Anthony

SHAWN M LEVENTHAL

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

As far as I know, Further than heaven is a song off of one of the Hassles
albums he made before He was " BIlly Joel", or before his solo career.
I have both original Vynl albums titled "THE HASSLES" and the second one
was called "THE HASSLES: HOUR OF THE WOLF". I forget which one that song
was on, but for the first album, Billy only did a few of the songs, but
he did the majority of the songs on the second album. Following the two
albums releases (67-68 I think), the drummer from The Hassles, Jon
Smalls, formed a band called Atilla with him and Billy. They put out one
self titled album (which I also have on Vynl) before they broke up and
Billy went solo with CSH in 71. Just as an interesting side note, Billy
ended up marrying Small's wife Elizabeth, which is not refered to in
concert as "ex wife #1", of "just the way you are" fame. Anyway, the
only other band he was in before the Hassles was called The Echoes, but
they never put out any albums. There is no official album called Further
Than Heaven. Since Billy JOel became famous, his older stuff has been
re-released on CD and in compilation formate. I actually have a CD
called Wonder Woman or something, which is Attila stuff, but the
copyright is 90- something. So while there may be a cd or tape out there
called Further Than Heaven, it is not an original release, and may just
be an imported disc with old Hassles songs on it.

This post is a response to someone's question about Further than Heaven,
I appologize for those of you who know all this, as I realize it's pretty
common Joel trivia.

cheerup

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

On 18 Jun 1998 18:26:36 GMT, sha...@futures.wharton.upenn.edu (SHAWN
M LEVENTHAL) wrote:

>As far as I know, Further than heaven is a song off of one of the Hassles
>albums he made before He was " BIlly Joel", or before his solo career.
>I have both original Vynl albums titled "THE HASSLES" and the second one
>was called "THE HASSLES: HOUR OF THE WOLF". I forget which one that song

>was on, ...

Well, let me help you ... ;-)

It is the last track of "The Hassles: Hour of the Wolf" and was
written by William Joel & John Dizek

cheers
cheerup
Reality is overrated.

The Entertainer

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

--
It is another title for the Second album of the Hassels, but it is
packaged as a Billy album

Raj

Philip A. Breesch

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

>>As far as I know, Further than heaven is a song off of one of the Hassles

>>albums he made before He was " Billy Joel", or before his solo career.

>>I have both original Vynl albums titled "THE HASSLES" and the second one
>>was called "THE HASSLES: HOUR OF THE WOLF". I forget which one that song
>>was on, ...
>
>Well, let me help you ... ;-)
>
>It is the last track of "The Hassles: Hour of the Wolf" and was
>written by William Joel & John Dizek

But it is also the name of a CD compilation of early Billy Joel stuff (from
both Hassles albums I suppose). The company that produced this CD is Tring
International and the following tracks are on it:

1. Cat
2. Hotel St.George
3. Land of Despair
4. Further than Heaven
5. Country Boy
6. Night after Day
7. Hour of the Wolf
8. Four O'Clock in the morning

I have no idea of the details of the copyright on all this stuff, but it
sure smells like a bootleg to me ;-)

Philip
Listening to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue at the moment

cheerup

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

>But it is also the name of a CD compilation of early Billy Joel stuff (from
>both Hassles albums I suppose). The company that produced this CD is Tring
>International and the following tracks are on it:
>
>1. Cat
>2. Hotel St.George
>3. Land of Despair
>4. Further than Heaven
>5. Country Boy
>6. Night after Day
>7. Hour of the Wolf
>8. Four O'Clock in the morning

You are absolutely right, but it is only a copy of "The Hassles: The
Hour of the Wolf"

1. Country Boy
2. Night after Day
3. Hour of the Wolf
4. 4 O'Clock in the Morning
5. Cat
6. Hotel St.George
7. Land of Despair
8. Further than Heaven

It was re-released under different names by different companies. The
first I have is called "Billy Joel: Country Boy" by Koala Record CO.
in 1980.

Somehow it is really weird that these companies (or shall we call them
Bootlegers?) either re-release The Hassles' 2nd LP or the Attila LP.

cheers
cheerup
--
Life is just another puzzle ...

SHAWN M LEVENTHAL

Jun 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/19/98

Basically after Billy Joel became famous and made a name for himslef,
many record "companies" released compilations with old hassles/atilla
stuff on it. Basically any CD, or cassette that has "Billy Joel"
anywhere on the cover (i.e. Billy Joel with Atilla) is a reproduction
made after he became famous. Obviously it's a marketing strategy, which
would have no bearing pre-52nd street because no one was into or had
really heard of Billy back before 1971. The upside is that you can
collect all these old songs remastered on CD format, unlike me, who just
made somewhat scratchy tapes from the orignial vynl.

AnnaFriend

Jun 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/20/98

What are the lyrics to "Further than Heaven".

-- Anna

"Listening to air conditioner at the moment."

Joey

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Where can you get remastered CD's? My CD of Further Than Heaven is Japanese
and is taken from a record. It also plays side two first and then side one.
My Attila CD is a legitimate Sony release, withing the original album art
intact, but in at least two spots on the CD the music is not quite up to the
correct speed at the beginning of the track. It happens on "Revenge Is
Sweet" and one other.

Joey

Jun 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/24/98

Come away with me/I want you to see/There's a different world over the sea,
beyond the sky,/Further than heaven/If you come away/you must leave
today/There's no turning back, you'll have to stay, beyond the sky/Further
than heaven/If you really want to go/hurry up and let me know/just a simple
yes or no/the rest is up to me/I know once your there/you'll become aware/Of
all the beautiful things that we can share, beyond the sky/Further than
heaven/Climb aboard my ship of dreams/It's so near although it seems so far
away -- from you/Leave your cluttered world behind/Fly away and you will
find that all I say -- is true/Take my hand and run/Light years past the
sun/We'll sit back and watch everyone, beyond the sky,/Further than heaven./

SigFreud9

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

Let's just hope that "Revenge is Sweet" is over. There was something very
wrong with all this from the beginning. It's those damn mountains. I'm just
gonna ignore them from now on. I wish you the best of luck and eternal
freedom. There is much still to create and I must get on with it. As for the
orchestra -- I'm quite sure it's in the computer -- at least the cheesy version
-- but time will fix that. Time brings endings, but it also brings new
beginnings. Best to look forward to the beginnings rather than dwell on the
endings. Don't you think? Each must follow his own muse, I suppose. Mine
lies along a different path than yours.

Nothing like a drunken psychiatrist to bring things out in the open. Oh, I
forgot. You're not in the open are you? Well, that's ok. It kept things
interesting, if somewhat inclined to drive one insane. Do you know that
insanity brings spritiual experiences and spritirual experiences bring change
and change brings freedom? It's really radical. You should try it. There's a
part of me that's gonna miss the game, you know? But there's a bigger part of
me that's just happy to be rid of the cloud. I sincerely hope this is true for
you, as well.

-- S. Freud

"The Secret to Life in the Universe is Sex"

Sophia498

Jun 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/25/98

It's a beautiful dream, but there comes a time when you must choose between
reality and madness. It has been my experience in life that when you indulge
in madness, even for a short time, you inevitably return to a worse reality.
It is the nature of life and a lesson that I will never entirely master because
madness always beckons. The reality of a child's smile, the smell of a crisp
fall day, the relief of a summer cloudburst, the sight of the glorious sun
shining on crystal trees after an ice storm ... I could go on forever. Just to
be alive is a gift and it's a gift that each person only has one chance at.
Whether one chooses to travel the path of life in self-indulgence or altruism,
as a pleasure seeker or a quiet observer, to live fast or slow, evil or good,
in pursuit of sex or knowledge ... each person's path is their own to choose.
I choose reality. I realize now that I never really had any choice in the
matter. Some people's lives are not always theirs to live, but everyone has
some control over their future and change does not have to be extreme. It will
come in time.

-- Sophia

"Ecclesiasticus 4:11-19"

Cloture140

Jun 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/26/98

Sigmund, you are beginning to frighten me.

-JSD

Will Dockery

Oct 15, 2017, 10:39:28 AM10/15/17
On Thursday, June 18, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, SHAWN M LEVENTHAL wrote:
> As far as I know, Further than heaven is a song off of one of the Hassles
> albums he made before He was " BIlly Joel", or before his solo career.
> I have both original Vynl albums titled "THE HASSLES" and the second one
> was called "THE HASSLES: HOUR OF THE WOLF". I forget which one that song
> was on, but for the first album, Billy only did a few of the songs, but
> he did the majority of the songs on the second album. Following the two
> albums releases (67-68 I think), the drummer from The Hassles, Jon
> Smalls, formed a band called Atilla with him and Billy. They put out one
> self titled album (which I also have on Vynl) before they broke up and
> Billy went solo with CSH in 71. Just as an interesting side note, Billy
> ended up marrying Small's wife Elizabeth, which is not refered to in
> concert as "ex wife #1", of "just the way you are" fame. Anyway, the
> only other band he was in before the Hassles was called The Echoes, but
> they never put out any albums. There is no official album called Further
> Than Heaven. Since Billy JOel became famous, his older stuff has been
> re-released on CD and in compilation formate. I actually have a CD
> called Wonder Woman or something, which is Attila stuff, but the
> copyright is 90- something. So while there may be a cd or tape out there
> called Further Than Heaven, it is not an original release, and may just
> be an imported disc with old Hassles songs on it.
>
> This post is a response to someone's question about Further than Heaven,
> I appologize for those of you who know all this, as I realize it's pretty
> common Joel trivia.

Thanks, I only have a very basic knowledge of Billy Joel, but loved his many hits and other great songs. Found a version of this and am becoming a fan again...