Tommy Dorsey--"Marie"

rees

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
Okay, folks, QUESTION:

Below are the lyrics to the Irving Berling song "Marie" as sung in Tommy
Dorsey's 1937 recording. The words in parentheses are what the band is
singing behind the singer. If you'll notice, there are question marks in
some of those parentheses. Could anyone please help me to fill those in?
I've listened to the recording backwards and forwards and just can't
decipher what the boys in the band are saying. Help!

MARIE

Marie, the dawn is breaking
(oh Marie ‘tis true) (does break for me)

Marie, you'll soon be waking
(girl of my dreams I want you, I need you)

To find our hearts are aching
(have a little faith in me) (la la la la la)

And tears will fall as you recall
(hear I go cryin’ again.) (Take me darling, take me)

The moon in all its splendor
(on a night like this) (we go pettin’ in the
park)

Your kiss so very tender
(oh, the way I like it darlin’) (I’m ???)

The words, "Will you surrender
(??? from me) (oh body and soul??? heaven)

To me, Marie?"
(livin’ in a great big way, Mama!)

Thanks,
Jeanine Rees

Andy

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
Jeanine,

I don't have the Tommy Dorsey record, but on the track from a Ted Heath band
album "Salutes Tommy Dorsey" sung by Dennis Lotis
the band appear to sing:

I'm YOURS

SPOKEN AS IT CAME from me

Oh body and soul OF MINE IN heaven

Now, I could be mistaken!

Andy

tjp

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
The "Marie" recording is very hard to decipher; I've never heard a really
clean dub of it, even on CD. But I think I can contribute a couple of things
from Dorsey-Sinatra airchecks (Dorsey wasn't much for tinkering with charts
once they were recorded, so I think I'm on safe ground here).
After "The words" the band says, "Spoken as it came from me." Underneath
"tender" I always thought the band was saying "I'm yours," but I guess not,
upon closer listening. I don't think they're referring to "heaven" after
"Will you surrender" either.

Rich Cunningham

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
Here are the lyrics (http://www.summer.com.br/~pfilho/html/lyrics/m/marie.txt)

Marie

- Artists: The Bachelors
- peak Billboard position # 15 in 1965
- previously a # 1 hit for Tommy Dorsey in 1937 and again as #16 in 1938
- also charted in 1929 by Rudy Vallee (#2), Nat Shilkret (#9), Franklyn Bauer
(#15)
- also charted by The Four Tunes as # 13 in 1953
- Words and Music by Irving Berlin

Marie, Marie, Marie

Marie, the dawn is breaking

Marie, (ooh, Marie) you'll soon be waking
To find you heart is aching
And tears (and tears) will fall (will fall) as you recall

The moon in all its splendor

A kiss (ooh, a kiss) so very tender

The words, "Will you surrender

To me, (Marie), Marie, (Marie-ee)?"

<brief instrumental interlude-first line of verse>

Marie, you'll soon be waking

To find you heart is aching
And tears (and tears) will fall (will fall) as you recall

The moon in all its splendor

A kiss (ooh, a kiss) so very tender

The words, "Will you surrender

To me, (Marie), Marie, (Marie) Marie (Marie-ee-ee)?"

Transcribed by Robin Hood

Carolyn H. LeFever

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
rees wrote:

> Okay, folks, QUESTION:
>
> Below are the lyrics to the Irving Berling song "Marie" as sung in Tommy
> Dorsey's 1937 recording. The words in parentheses are what the band is
> singing behind the singer. If you'll notice, there are question marks in
> some of those parentheses. Could anyone please help me to fill those in?
> I've listened to the recording backwards and forwards and just can't
> decipher what the boys in the band are saying. Help!
>
> MARIE
>
> Marie, the dawn is breaking
> (oh Marie ‘tis true) (does break for me)
>
> Marie, you'll soon be waking
> (girl of my dreams I want you, I need you)
>
> To find our hearts are aching
> (have a little faith in me) (la la la la la)
>
> And tears will fall as you recall
> (hear I go cryin’ again.) (Take me darling, take me)
>
> The moon in all its splendor
> (on a night like this) (we go pettin’ in the
> park)
>
> Your kiss so very tender
> (oh, the way I like it darlin’) (I’m ???)
>
> The words, "Will you surrender
> (??? from me) (oh body and soul??? heaven)
>
> To me, Marie?"
> (livin’ in a great big way, Mama!)
>
> Thanks,
> Jeanine Rees

Hi Jeanine,

I bought a cd today that has an excellent version of Marie and the band
's words are easy to understand. I found it at Border's Books and Music
and the name of it is "Tommy dorsey & His Orchestra Stop, Look & Listen.
This cd has 21 numbers on it - no static all clear.

It's also good on a Bunny Berigan cd entitled "Bunny Berigan the Pied
Piper" which also has Bunny's (the best version ever) of Jelly Roll
Blues.

Good Luck,

Carolyn LeFever

Carolyn H. LeFever

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

Hi Tip,

The words in the background are easy to decipher on the cd I found today
at Borders Books & Music. TD & His Orch Stop, Look & Listen. It also
has his recordings of That's A Plenty, Maple Leaf Rag, Mr. Ghost Goes to
Town, Melody in F, dark Eyes, Beale Street Blues, Milenburg Joys Parts 1
& 2 - a total of 21 excellent selections.

There's also a good version on Bunny Berigan's cd The Pied Piper which
also includes his (Bunny's - the best version) "Jelly Roll Blues".

By the way, Tip, would you like for me to e-mail you jokes and trivia???
Let me know and from the e-mail you sent me I can create an e-mail
address for you.

Let me know any way I can help.

Carolyn LeFever

Carlton Jackson

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Dear friends....

Here is some additions to the already great attempts to put the right
words in the holes of this song. We used to do this song in one of the
big bands around here, so I had to hear it from the old guys to get all
of the juicy ( see: ribald) lyrics. The only thing that is throwing me
is where the question marks are in the song form. Thanks for the other
poster who made the form below that I made additions to .

--
cjac...@teleport.com
Sou...@aol.com

bpnor...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2017, 7:24:53 PM3/6/17
Here are the lyrics I came up with for the male chorus (answering). I compared these with several different recordings from TD - including one with Frank Sinatra singing the lead. I'll leave out the lead vocal:

Oh, Marie - 'tis true
Just breaking for me
Girl o' my dreams
I want you - I need you