Re: Bee Gees documentary on HBO

Nil

Dec 14, 2020, 9:21:23 PM12/14/20
On 14 Dec 2020, super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I thought it strange they didn't mention a word about about the
> brothers' involvement in the Sgt. Pepper's movie flop, that
> probably contributed to their decline at least as much as the
> anti-disco stadium riot (and the decline of Peter Frampton).

I don't think Pepper hurt the Bee Gees as much as it did Frampton. Bee
Gees were always pop music, not rock, not "serious" music. Frampton had
hard rock in his pedigree, and while "Comes Alive" was firmly rock-pop,
it did appeal to those who liked rock guitar. I also think "I'm In You"
hurt Frampton more than Pepper, though the two of them together was
very toxic. I mean, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith survived Pepper without
much consequence.

hector

Dec 22, 2020, 9:15:58 AM12/22/20
On 14/12/2020 8:56 pm, super70s wrote:
> I thought it strange they didn't mention a word about about the
> brothers' involvement in the Sgt. Pepper's movie flop, that probably
> contributed to their decline at least as much as the anti-disco stadium
> riot (and the decline of Peter Frampton).

Disappointing use of contemporary talking heads which seems to dilute
it. Say what you like about disco, but the Bee Gees disco music was
terrible and I remember the attitudes to it. It wasn't about bs like
homophobia. And I still am a fan of everything else they did.