Capitol Announces 70's Two-Fer Releases Officially

HeyJude

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
I'm surprised with all of the rumors and whatnot that seem to spread
around, that nobody has noticed that Capitol finally made an official
announcment regarding the upcoming 70's/80's reissues. It seems that
only "Sunflower/Surf's Up" and "In Concert" are coming on July 18, and
that the others will follow on August 15. I don't know how much we
should invest in these dates, but it's a good sign that they have
finally made an official announcement. Here's the full press release.
(And before people start once again perpetuating the "Brad Elliott was
fired" rumors, I don't think the below press release means that Elton
John will be doing the technical side of the notes, or Timothy White for
that matter, but that they are both writing introductory essays of some
sort. Of course, I don't know anything for sure, but I hope Brad's notes
will be included as well.)

CAPITOL RECORDS IN EXCLUSIVE ARRANGEMENT TO
REISSUE ALL THE BEACH BOYS’ BROTHER RECORDS
RELEASES

Hollywood, CA --- May 26, 2000 --- Capitol Records will release all
the
original Beach Boys recordings from the band’s Brother Records
label with the
first three titles, Sunflower, Surf’s Up, and In Concert, out July
18. All the
Brother reissues will contain 2 full-length original albums on one
CD, digitally
remastered, with all the original packaging included (with the
exception of the
Carl and the Passions: So Tough and Holland releases, which will be
on 2
CDs in one package). The remaining Brother titles are scheduled for
an August
15 release.

Sunflower and Surf’s Up will be released together, containing new
liner notes
by Billboard editor Timothy White. The vinyl double live album, In
Concert, will
be released as a single CD. Carl & The Passions: So Tough,
featuring
introductory notes by Elton John, will be packaged with Holland
featuring
notes by Tom Petty, a release that will also contain the music that
was on an
EP originally released with the vinyl version of Holland. Other
titles to be
released include, Keepin’ The Summer Alive and The Beach Boys, L.A.

(Light Album) and M.I.U., and Love You with 15 Big Ones.

With the launch of Brother Records in 1970, The Beach Boys
continued to
build on the musical growth they exhibited in the late ‘60s and
their label
released a number of extremely noteworthy albums during the 1970
and
1980s. Although these years were overshadowed by difficulties,
personnel
changes and the tragic death of Dennis Wilson, the Beach Boys
continued to
produce artistic masterpieces. With Sunflower, the first release
from this
period, Rolling Stone proclaimed, "The Beach Boys have finally
produced an
album that can stand with ‘Pet Sounds.’" The magazine also named
Holland,
a Top 40 seller which contained the hit "Sail On, Sailor," one of
the Albums of
the Year.

The era also saw The Beach Boys branching out and placing increased

emphasis on their live shows. Surf’s Up, a Top 30 hit, included the
first solo
effort by Carl Wilson ("Long Promised Road") along with Brian
Wilson’s
legendary title track and the autobiographical Til I Die. Its’
follow up, Carl &
The Passions: So Tough reached the Top 50 on the charts. The Beach
Boys
also played critically-acclaimed showcase gigs in both Los Angeles
and New
York, appeared onstage with Joan Baez and The Grateful Dead, and
played
anti-war demonstrations and benefit concerts. In Concert reflected
the live
work and Rolling Stone named The Beach Boys its Band of the Year
solely on
the strength of their concerts.

Release of the digitally remastered Brother Records catalog comes
during a
year of especially high interest in The Beach Boys. It follows the
highly-rated
ABC-TV miniseries, "The Beach Boys: An American Family," a
drama-with-music which aired during the February sweeps, and an
encore
airing of a special, two-hour A&E biography, "Brian Wilson: A Beach
Boys
Tale." "20/20" also aired an extensive interview with Brian Wilson,
which
focused on his influence on

pop music, his years with The Beach Boys and his recent and
dramatic return
to the stage for his first ever solo tour. 2000 also saw the
release of The
Beach Boys Greatest Hits Volume 3: Best of the Brother Years
1970-1986, the latest title in Capitol Records’ definitive Beach
Boys Greatest
Hits series.

Tracklisting:

Sunflower / Surf’s Up

1.Slip On Through
2.This Whole World
3.Add Some Music To Your Day
4.Got To Know The Woman
5.Deirdre
6.It’s About Time
7.Tears In The Morning
8.All I Wanna Do
9.Forever
10.Our Sweet Love
11.At My Window
12.Cool Cool Water
13.Don’t Go Near The Water
14.Long Promised Road
15.Take A Load Off Your Feet
16.Disney Girls
17.Student Demonstration Time
18.Feel Flows
19.Lookin’ At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)
20.A Day In The Life Of A Tree
21.‘Til I Die
22.Surf’s Up

In Concert

1.Sail On Sailor
2.Sloop John B
3.The trader
4.You Still Believe In Me
5.California Girls
6.Darlin’
7.Marcella
8.Caroline No
9.Leaving This Town
10.Heroes and Villains
11.Funky Pretty
12.Let The Wind Blow
13.Help Me Rhonda
14.Surfer Girl
15.Wouldn’t It Be Nice
16.We Got Love
17.Don’t Worry Baby
18.Surfin’ USA
19.Good Vibrations
20.Fun Fun Fun

HeyJude

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Well, the whole cut and paste job seems to have come out all disjointed.
You can read the press release on Capitol's website at this link:
http://hollywoodandvine.com/beachboys/release526.html

SMC

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I hate to say it but I have an unsinkable(?) feeling of "too little, too
late"...
To me there is nothing really exciting with these reissues. I don't even
know if I'll upgrade my Caribous. I guess it'll depend on the sound quality
of these reissues.

I don't know who Capitol is expecting to sell these to. I notice there is no
mention of a rarities set. Wow, what a surprise... I don't mean to sound
depressing. I guess it's a good thing these albums are (finally!) going to
be available again.

Oh well! Guess I'll just get back to listening to my vol. 19...

Steven

HeyJude <blac...@ix.netcom.com> a écrit dans le message :
393311E6...@ix.netcom.com...

Coyle3303

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Brad did annouce to the PSML that he will not be doing the notes.He's not doing
ANY because (1) Capitol thought "celebrity" notes would help them sell better,
and (2) he and the suits couldn't agree on how much space he could have for his
notes.

Celebrity notes suck!!

:(

Chris

HeyJude

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Man, that REALLY sucks. Let's hope that Brad puts out a book of the liner notes
he wrote for the cd's, or includes the notes in his book when the revised edition
comes out. Well, this also dispells the incorrect rumors that he was fired. It
sounds like even if they would have let him do the notes, they weren't giving him
enough space to write them. It's Capitol's, and ultimatey, the fans' loss.

Carey Y

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
I agree. Although I like Petty, and can tolerate Bernie's partner, that is not what I
wan't in my BB CD, especially in lieu of the perfect fit that Brad's notes have been.
Dam Capitol.
April, you were so right.
Sigh...........

Coyle3303 <coyl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ranga John

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

SMC wrote:
> I don't know who Capitol is expecting to sell these to.

Um...Me!

They'll also be selling to people like myself who weren't fans like we
are today back when they were re-released in 1990. And don't talk about
buying them when they were originally released because I know that I
wasn't born until 1979.

I'm not expecting them to be big sellers, with maybe 'Sunflower/Surf's
Up' being the exception due to the fact that for years now people like
myself have been told that 'Sunflower' is possibly the best album the
boys ever did, so for curiosity sake a lot may buy it. Also 'Love You'
might sell big due to the simple fact that it's a great album, but
having '15 Big Ones' on the same cd may put some people off.

Expect them to go out of print within a year or two. But that's long
enough for me to buy the one's I want.

--

****************************
*** .....Ranga John..... ***

Orange

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
On Tue, 30 May 2000 20:39:51 +0200, "SMC" <steve...@ifrance.com>
wrote:

>I hate to say it but I have an unsinkable(?) feeling of "too little, too
>late"...
>To me there is nothing really exciting with these reissues. I don't even
>know if I'll upgrade my Caribous. I guess it'll depend on the sound quality
>of these reissues.
>

>I don't know who Capitol is expecting to sell these to.

To me, since I don't have any of the albums.

>I notice there is no
>mention of a rarities set. Wow, what a surprise... I don't mean to sound
>depressing.

Yup, that's the worst part of it all. Hoping, hoping, but probably in
vain.

Christian Henriksson
(ora...@hem.passagen.se)
--
"30 members of a small Mexican sect got into their heads that they
would get closer to God by inhaling butane gas in a small, well-

Onn Jian Lim

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
SMC wrote:

> I don't know who Capitol is expecting to sell these to. I notice there is no

> mention of a rarities set. Wow, what a surprise... I don't mean to sound

> depressing. I guess it's a good thing these albums are (finally!) going to
> be available again.

Well, me, and the many newly-converted BB fans that have caught on since the
Caribou CDs have gone out of print. I've read so much about Sunflower, Surf's
Up and Love You, and not being able to buy the cds has been very infuriating.
Now that they're all coming out on two-fer sets... well that really makes my day
:) Can't wait.

-OJ

Eric Vonk

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Ehm, me too!
When the first editions came out they were poorly distributed in Europe and i did
not own a cd player at the time. So I own most of them on LP and of course will but
the CD's!

xian

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Add me to the bandwagon. I've got them on CDR, but that's just not good
enough for me.

xian

On Wed, 31 May 2000 19:21:44 +0200, I heard this from Eric Vonk <vo...@wxs.nl>:

_ _ _
xian
"south mountain rain
i run away again" - a. mendoza
http://www.MP3.com/ArmyStreet

Jay Clark

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Me too. In my experience, no remastering done
before '94 is worth sh*t -- '94 or so is when
the collective accumulated experience (and
improved technology) appears to have begun
bearing fruit.

I'm replacing pre-94 remasters with post-
wherever I can, and am well pleased with
thr results. - Jay

Terry Hannan

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00

"xian" <xian...@REMOVEbigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Add me to the bandwagon. I've got them on CDR, but that's just not good
> enough for me.

Me too.I have all the Caribous but are still gonna get them for the
remastering alone.

Terry

Jayson Ca

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
I can't wait for these CD's!!!!

I've always loved the Beach Boys--yet I never got past the early hits, or the
Pet Sounds LP.....NOW at 32, I've just "discovered" the post Pet Sounds era,
which has turned me into a huge--huge fan! Why? Well, I guess the ABC movie
started it, and seeing the Endless Harmony DVD sold me......

Sure, I had the Pet Sounds box and the 5 disc set, but none of the other
LP's....and I've been kicking myself for never picking up the early 90's double
LP cd realeses and giving them a try...but thank god for EMI in Canada (and
Amazon.com)!!!

Anyhow, I'll be picking all these titles up.......

Jayson

"You little organ pumper, you!" --Charley Chase (Sons of the Desert)

dave marshall

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
I have all of the discs already, but I will probably buy the 2 fers too cause I'm not
that bright. :-)

dave marshall

xian wrote:

> Add me to the bandwagon. I've got them on CDR, but that's just not good
> enough for me.
>

> xian
>
> On Wed, 31 May 2000 19:21:44 +0200, I heard this from Eric Vonk <vo...@wxs.nl>:
>
> >Ehm, me too!
> >When the first editions came out they were poorly distributed in Europe and i did
> >not own a cd player at the time. So I own most of them on LP and of course will but
> >the CD's!

HDN

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Eric Vonk schrieb:

> Ehm, me too!
> When the first editions came out they were poorly distributed in Europe and i did
> not own a cd player at the time. So I own most of them on LP and of course will but
> the CD's!

You're so right, Eric. I was glad to find Surf's Up and Holland at that time.
Finally here in Europe they released Best Of Vol. III some weeks ago.
Is there anyone, who knows the european release dates? I would really
hate it, to read your raving reviews without the CDs in my own player.

HDN

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Carey Y schrieb:

> I agree. Although I like Petty, and can tolerate Bernie's partner, that is not what I
> wan't in my BB CD, especially in lieu of the perfect fit that Brad's notes have been.
> Dam Capitol.
> April, you were so right.

When did Miss April appear here last?
I miss her so, and Jarle of the Vikings too.
Hans-Dieter in Berlin

The old geezer

Jun 15, 2020, 6:49:51 AM6/15/20
And here it is....20 years later........