"S.S. Miike Maru March"

Rebecca A. Fitzgerald

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
Hi, I'm helping a colleague look for sheet music/band parts to the "S.S.
Miike Maru March" - no that isn't a mispelling, it's the name of a Japanese
Steamship. In 1896 the S.S. Miike Maru steamed into Seattle in a return to
trade with Japan. To mark this historic occasion, the title March was
written by Sol Asher (reported to be a University of Washington professor)
and published by Winter & Harper of Seattle.
The music was extant in 1956 when it was played for a Music In The Park
concert series. The Seattle Times Sunday Supplement of June 17, 1956,
reproduced the cover.

If any of you have any clues, I'd appreciate hearing from you. As a longtime
high school band director, I figure that someone still has the darn thing
lying about in his/her music library- music budgets being what they are! :-)

Thanks much,
Becky Fitzgerald

Sacqueboutier

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
DAISHA wrote:

> Try contacting the Coast Guard Band in New Croton, CT.

Errr.. that would be New London, CT.

Also try the United States Marine Band library:

U.S. Marine Band Library
Marine Barracks
8th & "I" Sts., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20390

--

Don

)**********************************************(
)* Don Patterson *(
)* Asst. Principal Trombonist *(
)* "The President's Own" *(
)* United States Marine Band *(
)* don...@erols.com *(
)**********************************************(

http://www.marineband.hqmc.usmc.mil

)**********************************************(
)* DCP Music Printing *(
)* Professional Computer Music Typeset *(
)* Music Arrangements *(
)* don...@erols.com *(
)**********************************************(

The views expressed are my own and in no way
reflect those of "The President's Own" United
States Marine Band or the United States Marine Corps.

DAISHA

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Try contacting the Coast Guard Band in New Croton, CT. they have everything!!!!
Missing parts that are out of print can be supplied too.If that doesn't work,
try the Marines, no I'm not being a smart a??, the service bands by their
nature are the most resourceful and helpful groups out there...it's good P.R.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Worksh...@aol.com

Oct 5, 2015, 5:58:32 PM10/5/15
I'm looking for it too, but not actively. Try the Bagduce Music Lending Library in Maine (www.bagaducemusic.org; they have an immense collection.