Female lead singers

Donzail Harvey

Feb 16, 1994, 8:44:08 AM2/16/94
i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
but if not that's OK too.

help would be appreciated
dScott

James M Murphy

Feb 16, 1994, 11:31:07 AM2/16/94

man there's millions...
Throwing Muses
Belly
Breeders
Tiger Trap
Tsunami
Velocity Girl
Liz Phair
P J Harvey
Swirlies
Lois
Juliana Hatfield 3
Blake Babies
Die monster Die
Spinanes
Bettie Serveert
.. many more!!

this is off the top of my head and granted these bands range from being on
indie labels to commercial...so good luck!!

jim

Maura Johnston

Feb 16, 1994, 3:34:52 PM2/16/94

you forgot
bikini kill
bratmobile
courtney love
the frumpies
heavens to betsy
kreviss

and then there are all the female solo artists...lois maffeo, liz phair, mary
lou lord...

god i love music.

Maura Johnston - Medill '97 (for now) | BLUMARKER...drawing on you every Sat.
yr punk rock dream come true! | from 5-8 am on WNUR, 89.3 FM freeform.

Kip M. Kantelo

Feb 16, 1994, 3:39:58 PM2/16/94
There are too many to even remember, but some of the more accessible ones would
be... Cocteau Twins, Curve, Cowboy Junkies, Lush, Mazzy Star, Belly (and of
course Throwing Muses), the Breeders (and also the song "Gigantic" by the
Pixies, sung by Breeders co-founder Kim Deal), Falling Joys, Juliana Hatfield 3
, Velocity Girl, Tsunami, The Sundays, The Cranberries, My Bloody Valentine
(although I guess one can't call their vocals "lead vocals").

DISCLAIMER: I know I've left off a lot, and before any flames come my way,
I've just provided a list, and not my judgements, about the more accessible
groups around which might serve as a good starting point for someone jumping
into female-led bands. In fact, I do not particularly care for some of the
bands I have listed, but people have found those bands to be to their own
liking, so I listed them anyway (Sorry, but I just don't want to start yet
another "Band X SUCKS!!!!!" thread)

jl...@mac.cc.macalstr.edu

Feb 16, 1994, 8:07:34 PM2/16/94
In article <2jthob$8...@master.cs.rose-hulman.edu>, murp...@NeXTwork.Rose-Hulman.Edu (James M Murphy) writes:

> man there's millions...
> Throwing Muses
> Belly
> Breeders
> Tiger Trap
> Tsunami
> Velocity Girl
> Liz Phair
> P J Harvey
> Swirlies
> Lois
> Juliana Hatfield 3
> Blake Babies
> Die monster Die
> Spinanes
> Bettie Serveert
> .. many more!!

10,000 maniacs, the muffs, patti smith, velvet underground and nico, magnapop,
concrete blonde, hammerbox, hugo largo, sugarcubes, sonic youth

Henry Chang

Feb 16, 1994, 8:18:00 PM2/16/94

In article Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU> writes:

> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
> but if not that's OK too.

well, I'd plug the Sundays again even though someone's already mentioned
them. Dunno what you mean by 'kick ass music', but Sonic Youth has the
occasional female vocal from Kim Gordon.

Also, if anyone has the chance, check out Troy, NY locals TINA WARD AND THE
MATTERBABIES. If I had to describe them, I'd say it was a folksy blend
of the Judybats and 10000 Maniacs.

Henry

John Itchon

Feb 16, 1994, 11:30:56 PM2/16/94

siouxsie and the banshees!
the slits
the fastbacks

jay

E.R. Meek

Feb 17, 1994, 4:22:46 AM2/17/94
In article <shMWAcW00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU> writes:
>From: Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU>
>Subject: Female lead singers
>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 08:44:08 -0500

- Juliana Hatfield Three
- Blake Babies
- Lunachicks
- Babes in Toyland
- Salad
- Chicas del Rock
- Angela and the Rude
- Phantom Blue
- Vixen
- Breeders
- Belly

That was what I could think of right now. Hope it helps out.

Erik.

- 'scuse me, while I kiss the sky
-Jimi
- Ladies let me tell you, about myself. I've got a dick for a brain...
-Afghan Wigs

Dave A. Hanson

Feb 17, 1994, 11:39:05 AM2/17/94
Kick ass band with awesome female vox: Baby Animals.
Same label as Rollins, Aimee Mann, Pere Ubo...

ssb...@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu

Feb 17, 1994, 4:07:45 PM2/17/94
also try Mary's danish, i recommend "Circa" or "Live and Foxy Lady"
They have 2 female vocalists and this great classic rock inspired
alternative sound.....good bassist too.
-Ron

Matthew S Trokenheim

Feb 17, 1994, 4:55:26 PM2/17/94
Darling Buds
Primitives
Mary's Danish
Curve
Lush
Pretenders
Fastbacks
Mazzy Star
Shonen Knife
Boss Hog
Transvision Vamp

Allen J Oh

Feb 17, 1994, 4:56:17 PM2/17/94
>In article <shMWAcW00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU> writes:
>>From: Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU>
>>Subject: Female lead singers
>>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 08:44:08 -0500
>>i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
>>singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
>>but if not that's OK too.

(someone else said...he listed some others too, but these are the ones I
know of)

>- Juliana Hatfield Three
>- Blake Babies

>- Breeders
>- Belly

Also,

the Cranberries
Curve
Eve's Plum
Lush
the Sundays

Good voices...I wouldn't call their music (except Curve and Eve's Plum)
"kick ass", but very nice...

Supreme Nothing

Feb 17, 1994, 7:41:25 PM2/17/94
>bikini kill
>bratmobile
^^^^^^^^^^^ Gawd, I love 'em.

>courtney love
>the frumpies
>heavens to betsy
>kreviss

Kill Rock Stars kicks ass! >:^9

Calamity Jane
Heroin
Adickdid
Tribe 8
Getaway Car
Huggy Bear
Blood Sausage

-AJ

Richard E. Poole

Feb 17, 1994, 10:15:47 PM2/17/94
...and let's not forget:
- Shonen knife (Japan's female answer to the Buzzcocks)
- Stereolab (Dreamy multi-layered pop)
- Look Blue Go Purple (Lush pop - Flying Nun band)
- Cords (Heavy guitar rock - helmet for woman singer)
- Mercy Rule (Hard Poster Children type rock, from Nebraska)
- Antietam (Melodic Power Trio, great guitar)
- Walkabouts (The prettiest music on Sub Pop)

oh, and like everyone else is quick to add, there are plenty of great people
left off these lists. . .
-ed.
rp6...@american.edu

'Fend

Feb 18, 1994, 12:49:46 PM2/18/94
In article <2jugk9$2...@usenet.rpi.edu>, Henry Chang <cha...@rpi.edu> wrote:

>In article Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU> writes:
>
>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
>> but if not that's OK too.
>
>well, I'd plug the Sundays again even though someone's already mentioned
>them. Dunno what you mean by 'kick ass music', but Sonic Youth has the
>occasional female vocal from Kim Gordon.

Another really good band with a female singer is Madder Rose. I don't
know how kick ass they are, but definitely gorgeous vocals.
-james

Max Ross Brenner

Feb 18, 1994, 4:56:09 PM2/18/94

The absolute best are:

1. The Sugarcubes
Bjork, the Icelandic Goddess, ruler of humankind, sings on the
Sugarcubes 3 brilliant albums. She also has a solo album out now, called
"Debut." All four are brilliant. Start with "Life's Too Good."

2. The Sundays
Led by the incredible voice of Harriet Wheeler, the Sundays two
albums, "reading, writing and arithmetic" and "Blind" are both
incredible. Start with "reading." You'll LOVE IT.

-max

--
Max Ross Brenner | "Deny your maker." | Read: _1984_
max...@telerama.lm.com | --Alice in Chains | Watch: _Blade Runner_

ADAM L. CRAMER

Feb 18, 1994, 5:37:48 PM2/18/94

>Also,

Nobody's said NATALIE MERCHANT/10000 maniacs

or am i just blind

Ac

Kenneth Mostern

Feb 18, 1994, 6:53:11 PM2/18/94
Since no one seems interested in punk history, I better throw in:
X-Ray Spex
Raincoats
Slits
LiLiPUT

Of whom X-Ray Spex made one of the greatest albums ever, Germ-Free Adolescents.
And while I'm on the subject, I heard that there is now a LiLiPUT CD available.
Anyone know how I can get It?

Kenny
--
Ideas expressed in this posting probably come from some combination of reading
Karl Marx, Paulo Freire, bell hooks, Malcolm X, Frantz Fanon, and Emma Goldman.

Joe Meier

Feb 18, 1994, 10:33:39 PM2/18/94
Belly, Julianna Hatfield & Julianna Hatfield three, belly,
throwing muses, belly, belly, belly, belly, belly, belly

i was friendly with this girl who insisted on touching my face
she told outragious stories-i believed them, till the endings
were changing from endings before. she's not touching me anymore
-belly

Joseph L. Meier>>>j...@imageman.com(or jlm%thu...@src.honeywell.com)

tom marker

Feb 19, 1994, 6:21:18 AM2/19/94
-> Also, if anyone has the chance, check out Troy, NY locals TINA WARD A
-> MATTERBABIES. If I had to describe them, I'd say it was a folksy ble
-> of the Judybats and 10000 Maniacs.
->
->
-> Henry
Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
added plus.
Tom
tom.m...@midi-matrix.com

M Wright

Feb 19, 1994, 9:31:13 AM2/19/94
Well, I know they haven't done much recently, but I'm surprised that
no-one has mentioned L7. OK, so they may be quite raucous, tbu with
wothwhile lyrics as well as kick-bottom music. Check out the lyrics to
Wargasm, as well as Pretend that we're dead.

Mike

Stefan Amshey

Feb 19, 1994, 4:40:01 PM2/19/94
Donzail Harvey (donz...@CMU.EDU) wrote:
: i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead

: singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
: but if not that's OK too.

After reading at least 20 responses to this question, I think I saw half
of my favorite bands go by......however, I saw no mention of the Darling
Buds, so I figured I'd throw them out, too.

-Stefan Amshey
sram...@ucdavis.edu

Henry Chang

Feb 20, 1994, 12:56:10 AM2/20/94

Tom Marker writes a-back:

> Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
> Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
> not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
> Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
> added plus.

I like the Matterbabies a lot. Unfortunately, they're still local
and only have one EP out, and one forthcoming...but if you want to
be on their mailing list, or a copy of the cassette, drop me an enote
and I'll see what I can do.

Henry / cha...@rpi.edu

(ps Haven't heard of Over the Rhine, but I'd be interested in more info!)

Rick Scaia

Feb 20, 1994, 1:57:45 AM2/20/94

In a previous article, TOM.M...@midi-matrix.com (tom marker) says:

> Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
>Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
>not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
>Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
>added plus.

Being a fellow Daytonian (sucks, don't it?), I think it's not fair
to say we don't have any cool bands starting up around here.
The Breeders are a homegrown group... Brainiac is awesome, and
just about to make it big (unfortunately), IMO... Guided by Voices
ain't bad, either. And look out for Barabbas (formerly Blue Kid)
in the months to come...

It's not much, but it's OK. Usually I can find one band every weekend
that I want to see.

Later...

--
Rick Scaia | "Howard Roarke is my hero,
King of Illiterature | Pavlov's Dogs are my pets."

tom marker

Feb 20, 1994, 6:21:11 AM2/20/94
->
->
-> The absolute best are:
->
-> 1. The Sugarcubes
-> Bjork, the Icelandic Goddess, ruler of humankind, sings on th
-> Sugarcubes 3 brilliant albums. She also has a solo album out now, ca
-> "Debut." All four are brilliant. Start with "Life's Too Good."
->
-> 2. The Sundays
-> Led by the incredible voice of Harriet Wheeler, the Sundays t
-> albums, "reading, writing and arithmetic" and "Blind" are both
-> incredible. Start with "reading." You'll LOVE IT.
->
-> -max
Two words:
Natalie Merchant
Two more:
Allison Shaw (The Cranes)

sorry, had to butt in:)
Tom Marker
tom.m...@midi-matrix.com

Dave Peterson

Feb 20, 1994, 1:31:54 PM2/20/94
> Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
>Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
>not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
>Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
>added plus.
> Tom
I saw Over The Rhine open for Squeeze here in Salt Lake City a couple months
ago, and was extraordinarly impressed. Hunted down their CD, and the studio
work is a lot different; their live show packs a LOT more power. The
description you gave was pretty good.. my immediate impression was that the
album sounded a lot like a clone of The Innocence Mission. However, since
TIM is simply incredible, that's not a bad thing!

I'd be interested in seeing Over The Rhine again.. does anyone know if their
still touring? and dates? And does anyone know what's happened to The
Innocence Mission?

Matt Saunders

Feb 20, 1994, 5:02:26 PM2/20/94
In article <2ju01c$a...@news.acns.nwu.edu> sta...@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Maura Johnston) writes:

>you forgot
>bikini kill
>bratmobile
>courtney love
>the frumpies
>heavens to betsy
>kreviss
>
>and then there are all the female solo artists...lois maffeo, liz phair, mary
>lou lord...
>
>god i love music.

....and i love you!
but you forgot heavenly.

--matt--

>--
>Maura Johnston - Medill '97 (for now) | BLUMARKER...drawing on you every Sat.
>yr punk rock dream come true! | from 5-8 am on WNUR, 89.3 FM freeform.

Matt Saunders (m...@kepler.unh.edu)
WUNH 91.3 FM, Durham, New Hampshire
The University of New Hampshire
___________

Holter, Matthijs 6-94

Feb 20, 1994, 7:14:12 PM2/20/94

>The absolute best are:

>1. The Sugarcubes
> Bjork, the Icelandic Goddess, ruler of humankind, sings on the
>Sugarcubes 3 brilliant albums. She also has a solo album out now, called
>"Debut." All four are brilliant. Start with "Life's Too Good."

Apparently, Bj›rk recorded an album when she was a kid (some kind of
child star thing). Does anybody know anything about this? Please E-mail me
(as well as posting to this group, if you wish) - I don't read this very
often....

matt...@gribb.hsr.no

tom marker

Feb 21, 1994, 12:18:15 AM2/21/94
I'll see what I can do about the Over the Rhine stuff.
yeah, I'd like to hear them. A cassette would be cool.
I'm out of time
E-mail me at tom.m...@midi-matrix.com
and we'll talk more.
tom

Menno Luitjes

Feb 21, 1994, 5:02:16 AM2/21/94
How about Bettie Serveert and Delicious Monster... or the Muffs!!
Can't think of anymore at the moment..

hug...@earlham.edu

Feb 21, 1994, 9:16:07 PM2/21/94
In Article <CLIGo...@freenet.carleton.ca>

ag...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Rick Scaia) writes:

>In a previous article, TOM.M...@midi-matrix.com (tom marker) says:
>
>> Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
>>Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
>>not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
>>Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
>>added plus.
>
>Being a fellow Daytonian (sucks, don't it?), I think it's not fair
>to say we don't have any cool bands starting up around here.
>The Breeders are a homegrown group... Brainiac is awesome, and
>just about to make it big (unfortunately), IMO... Guided by Voices
>ain't bad, either. And look out for Barabbas (formerly Blue Kid)
>in the months to come...
>
>It's not much, but it's OK. Usually I can find one band every weekend
>that I want to see.

You should go about 45 minutes west on I-70 to Richmond, IN the home of
Tom Raper. There's durn good music there- a hardcore country band called
Beertruck. (Sorry, no female vocals there, though).

hug...@earlham.edu

Feb 21, 1994, 9:22:56 PM2/21/94
For damn good female lead vocal music go out and buy the new CD on Feel
Good All Over records BUT ME I FELL DOWN by D Q E . They're an Atlanta
band who just broke up, but the same singer/guitarist is now in a band
called Red Cloud. They aren't just a female lead-singer band, they are a
female lead singer and female lead guitarist and female songwriter band
(not a Riot Girl band).

Benjammin Rad

Feb 23, 1994, 12:05:52 AM2/23/94
Heavenly - Try Le Jardin de Heavenly, it will blow you away.
PJ Harvey - of course, she kicks my ass.

These are the best, take em or leave em, Of course there is always Bjork,
Harriet, Caroline, Mikki, Emma, Belinda, Tanya, Kim, Seana, Liz, and Rebecca.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
W. Ben Radlinski The Grove in Maryland RADL...@ACCESS.DIGEX.COM

rose

Feb 23, 1994, 4:00:59 AM2/23/94

The lady from The Faith Healers is my favorite lead singer, along with
the lady from Silverfish. PJ Harvey is ok.

admi...@kean.ucs.mun.ca

Feb 20, 1994, 11:39:48 AM2/20/94
In article <2jugk9$2...@usenet.rpi.edu>, cha...@vccnw06.its.rpi.edu (Henry Chang) writes:

> In article Donzail Harvey <donz...@CMU.EDU> writes:
>
>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
>> but if not that's OK too.

It sounds like you need to hear HAMMERBOX. They have two records out and
apparently broke up recently. One record is out on C/Z records and the
other "Numb" is on A&M. They are both amazing.
Also Watch for indie releases this summer by the LIZ BAND and DARSHIVA this
summer. They'll probably be distributed in Canada but the States may be a
different problem.
Peace, HUB.

Phillip H. Cheung

Feb 23, 1994, 1:55:19 PM2/23/94
letters to cleo

drizzle

siouxsie and the banshees

thas all i can add now

Matt Bobrowicz

Feb 23, 1994, 9:19:00 PM2/23/94

MRB>The absolute best are:

MRB>1. The Sugarcubes

MRB>2. The Sundays

As much as I like those two I'd have to add these before them:

1. L7 (Four very beautiful women :) )
2. Juliana Hatfield 3 (she hates that name BTW)
3. the Breeders (you gotta love women that wash their hair once a month)

later...

m.b.

---
ş OLX 2.1 TD ş ....all this clever banter gives me the urge to FUCK!!

alex hegyi

Feb 24, 1994, 12:24:57 AM2/24/94
>> Sounds cool. Too bad I live in Dayton, Ohio. Are they signed yet?
>> Unfortunately, no one like that is from or around Dayton. No, that's
>> not fair. Have you heard of Over the Rhine? there a band from
>> Cinncinatti with a more REM type of sound. The female vocals are an
>> added plus.

Hey, sorry to butt in here, but are you excluding The Breeders? I'm
pretty sure that they're from Huber Heights. Or am I just completely
off topic here? Later. -alex-
---
þ OLX 2.1 TD þ - ¯ Today is cancelled due to lack of interest! ® -

tom marker

Feb 24, 1994, 12:25:00 AM2/24/94
You're right, sorry. Yeah the Breeders are from here too. Say,
aren't you on BsNet too????
Tom
tom.m...@midi-matrix.com

STEPHANIE ROACH

Feb 24, 1994, 3:43:46 PM2/24/94
In article <CRAMERAL95%CS3...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil> CRAMERAL95%CS...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil (ADAM L. CRAMER) writes:
>From: CRAMERAL95%CS...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil (ADAM L. CRAMER)
>Subject: Re: Female lead singers
>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 22:37:48 GMT

>>Also,

>Ac

how could we forget natalie?

bnhy...@tiny.computing.csbsju.edu

Feb 24, 1994, 4:44:44 PM2/24/94

Last night I attended an acoustic benefit concert at the Northrup Aud. in
Minneapolis featuring Soul Asylum and Bonnie Raght (Sp.) but I was really
impressed with a female vocalist named Anne Reed. You should check her out

Allen J Oh

Feb 24, 1994, 6:24:33 PM2/24/94
In article <1a5.2594.3...@quagmire.com> matt.bo...@quagmire.com (Matt Bobrowicz) writes:
>As much as I like those two I'd have to add these before them:
>
>2. Juliana Hatfield 3 (she hates that name BTW)

Yeah, I heard that too. What I want to know is, if she hates it, why are
they named that?

>3. the Breeders (you gotta love women that wash their hair once a month)

...and who use shoe polish/black markers (I've heard both) to cover up
gray hairs...

I definitely agree with these two, and I'd add the Blake Babies (does this
count?) and Eve's Plum (who I will have the good fortune of seeing in
about 4 or 5 hours). I'd also add Lush, and perhaps Curve as well.

Allen
_ / Allen J. Oh, member, Rudeboys for a Plaid Tomorrow
o,0 (pho...@dolphin.upenn.edu)
~

c art

Feb 24, 1994, 10:27:21 PM2/24/94
uh... not sure how this thread started but for a true alternative female
lead singer, try marion (...)?, lead singer for Dog-Faced Hermans... as
alt.m.alt as they get...

c art

ca...@umich.edu

Kurt Cobain

Feb 24, 1994, 11:23:21 PM2/24/94

all this talk about female lead singers and no mention of Kat Bjelland?

--
Kurdt Cobain
ach...@iastate.edu

Mark Penacho

Feb 25, 1994, 1:29:15 AM2/25/94
Maureen Tucker (velvet underground, and solo)
Georgia Hubley (yo la tengo)
Tara Key (antietam)
Kathy McCarty (glass eye)
Penelope Houston (Avengers, dash 30 dash, birdboys, and solo)
Bliss Blood (pain teens)
Nico (vu, and solo)
Patti Smith (PSG)

FRIEDENSON

Feb 25, 1994, 3:39:20 PM2/25/94
How 'bout
7 Year Bitch
Tribe 8
Lucy Stoners
Tiger Trap
the female vox of the Swans
the songs Kim Deal sings for the Pixies
the female vox of Yucky Star
Suzanne Vega
Babes in Toyland
Velocity Girl
Lunachicks
and (not to be painfully obvious, but
Edie Brickell
& Enya?

Ciao!
Kari
--
Ol' man Simon, y*s kari
Diggin' in his diamonds, y*s box #137

P.H. Van broekhoven

Feb 25, 1994, 8:01:45 PM2/25/94

How about Shonen Knife?

(or have they been mentioned already?)

--
ษอออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
บ All of these people they will come across the skies บ

glenn susser

Feb 26, 1994, 9:32:53 PM2/26/94
'Fend <ff...@harp.aix.calpoly.edu> writes:

>>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with female lead
>>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing them up
>>> but if not that's OK too.

Damn, there must be more bands with lead female singers than male nowadays.
The Village Voice Pazz and Jop Poll has a record number of female winners
for 1993. There's PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, the Breeders (Kim Deal,) Yo La
Tengo (Georgia Hubley,) not to mention Antietam (tara key) and miles
more.

--
--Glenn Susser
--gsu...@delphi.com

Michael R. M. Cheselka

Feb 27, 1994, 4:30:06 AM2/27/94
Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins fame.

She comes to mind since I just got done talking with her after the
concert. LUCKY ME!!!

--
ches...@cactus.org N5UVV Michael R. M. Cheselka
o...@gnu.ai.mit.edu Hangs out on 145.21mhz 400 W. 34th. St. #103

Mr R.J.M. Head

Feb 28, 1994, 9:21:12 AM2/28/94
In article <2klnlo$5...@amhux3.amherst.edu> kefr...@unix.amherst.edu (FRIEDENSON) writes:
>How 'bout
>7 Year Bitch
>Tribe 8
>Lucy Stoners
>Tiger Trap
>the female vox of the Swans
>the songs Kim Deal sings for the Pixies
>the female vox of Yucky Star
>Suzanne Vega
>Babes in Toyland
>Velocity Girl
>Lunachicks
>and (not to be painfully obvious, but
> Edie Brickell
> & Enya?
>
>Ciao!
>Kari
>--
After seeing the Piao festival the last two days in London I can add loads
more bands with female singers (and for the most part all-female bands):-

Butterfingers
Lollyshop
Delicate Vomit (amazingly good band)
Skinned Teen
Mambo Taxi
Sister George
Frantic Spiders
Linus
Bleed

Richard.

--
Destroy mediocrity.....Be crap and enjoy it!

Lemming

Mar 1, 1994, 1:44:38 PM3/1/94
>>Nobody's said NATALIE MERCHANT/10000 maniacs
>
>>or am i just blind
>
>>Ac
>
> how could we forget natalie?

Personally, I'm hoping that if I ignore her she'll go away =).
--

Lemming
"And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us,

Beth

Mar 2, 1994, 11:02:01 AM3/2/94
In article <5SwoGh1...@delphi.com> glenn susser,

gsu...@delphi.com writes:

> [...]

I haven't seen anybody mention the following bands with female
leads. This are 2 of my favorite bands.

L7
Siouxsie and the Banshees

Just my $0.02.
Beth

John Taylor [The Banshee]

Mar 3, 1994, 5:18:59 AM3/3/94

The early releases of Siouxsie & the Banshees are the best ("The Scream" is
one of my favorites, followed by the 1st compilation album "Once Upon a Time"
and "Tinderbox" and Kaleidoscope")

Also worth tracking down (all on CD):
Australian "indie" bands - may be hard to get overseas:
Falling Joys
Clouds (not exactly "kick-ass" but good indie rock)
The Plums (only 2 EPs so far)
Splinter (1 off EP - "Strange Parade")
Scarecrow Tiggy (hard to get - but pretty cheap CD @ AUS$20!)
The Catherine Wheel (not to be confused with the UK? band of the same name)

Overseas:
Belly (probably mentioned many times already - great music!)
The Darling Buds
Juliana Hatfield (and The Juliana Hatfield Three)
Fuzzbox ("Boston Steve Austin" is the best - "Big Band!" is too ordinary)

In a softer vein are the following:
Cocteau Twins (my all time favourite band)
The Sundays
Single Gun Theory (from Australia)
Frente! (from Australia)
The Cranberries
Swallow (on the 4AD label - CDs "Blow" and "Blowback" (temporary release))
Enya

That's about all I've got...

| John Taylor [The Banshee] | Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology |
| rp...@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au | Department of Applied Physics |
| MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD. | Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA |

Daedalia

Mar 3, 1994, 11:27:47 AM3/3/94
here's some semi-local and others...

slant 6
hatchet wound
blast off country style
juliana experience (performance art but she played w/ holy rollers a bit)
geek (now defunct)
buckdancer
damn near red
courtney love
lois

--daedalia

Eric Trondson-Clinger

Mar 5, 1994, 3:12:43 AM3/5/94
In article <CM3KE...@hub.cs.jmu.edu>, STU_KE...@vax1.acs.jmu.edu
(Daedalia) wrote:

ani defranco ist sehr gut. Jah?
Eric Trondson-Clinger

christine gazak

Mar 7, 1994, 5:33:58 PM3/7/94
: >In article <5SwoGh1...@delphi.com> glenn susser,

: >gsu...@delphi.com writes:
: >>
: >>>>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with
: >female lead
: >>>>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing
: >them up
: >>>>> but if not that's OK too.
: >
The Pandoras!!
Come
Sonic Youth (Natch)
opal
Babes in Toyland
Dickless

Jack Mchale

Mar 7, 1994, 6:34:20 PM3/7/94
Holter, Matthijs 6-94 <MATT...@gribb.hsr.no> writes:

> Apparently, Bj›rk recorded an album when she was a kid (some kind of
>child star thing). Does anybody know anything about this? Please E-mail me
>(as well as posting to this group, if you wish) - I don't read this very
>often....

Bjork did two LP's for a group called Kukl (the Icelandic word for Sorcery).
The band featured the durmmer and trumpet player for he drummer and trumpet
player for what would later be the SugarCube. They had
two albums, Kukl and Holidays in Europe, both released on Crass Records in
England
I wish I could say I knew what the dates of release were. Great, weird stuff
tho
though!

Fenris

Mar 9, 1994, 10:03:38 PM3/9/94
John Taylor [The Banshee] (rp...@minyos.xx.rmit.EDU.AU) wrote:

> >female lead
> >them up

> Swallow (on the 4AD label - CDs "Blow" and "Blowback" (temporary release))
> Enya

> That's about all I've got...

Well, if you're going to bring up Enya, what about Clannad? There's also
a band out of Boston called Come (I think) fronted by a female.

Fenris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fenris, the Great Wolf
(nolt...@uidaho.edu)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Quotes*

"Jesus built my car; it's a love affair
Mainly Jesus and my hot rod
Yeah, fuck it."
Ministry "Jesus Built My Hotrod"

*Today's .sig was brought to you by the abelian group A(a,b)*

Tony Stott

Mar 16, 1994, 10:41:34 AM3/16/94
> : >In article <5SwoGh1...@delphi.com> glenn susser,
> : >gsu...@delphi.com writes:
> : >>
> : >>>>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with
> : >female lead
> : >>>>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing
> : >them up
> : >>>>> but if not that's OK too.

It depends upon your definition of "kick ass". :o)
One of my favourites is New Zealand's "Headless Chickens", they have male and
female vocalists, depending upon the song.

Cheers!
--
x^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x
< ### ### >

Minis H.

Mar 18, 1994, 6:01:00 AM3/18/94
In Article <uhUuu*B...@xymox.apana.org.au> "to...@xymox.apana.org.au (Tony Stott)" says:
> > : >In article <5SwoGh1...@delphi.com> glenn susser,
> > : >gsu...@delphi.com writes:
> > : >>
> > : >>>>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with
> > : >female lead
> > : >>>>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing
> > : >them up
> > : >>>>> but if not that's OK too.
>
> It depends upon your definition of "kick ass". :o)
> One of my favourites is New Zealand's "Headless Chickens", they have male and
> female vocalists, depending upon the song.
>
> Cheers!
> --
> x^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x
> < ### ### >
> < # # # O# "CAN'TTALKCOMIN'DOWN" Tony Stott - Melbourne, Australia >
> < #O # # # - Lisa Simpson. (to...@xymox.apana.org.au) >
> < ### ### >
> xvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvx

I'd recomend the Juliana Hatfield three, the best band ever with the best
female vocals ever. BUY THEIR RECORD, NOW !! You won't be disappointed.
Bye,
= Hugo Minis - Tilburg, The Netherlands =
= "Take life at five times your average speed, like I do" - Morrissey =

Cori

Mar 18, 1994, 4:00:30 PM3/18/94
In article <19940318120...@sp0116.kub.nl>
H.M...@kub.nl (Minis H.) writes:

I recommend the Breeders, Concrete Blonde, Belly, L7, X, and Bjork.
All have great singers with different variations of Kick Ass music to
go with.

-C3

Scott Ulrey

Mar 18, 1994, 4:31:30 PM3/18/94
my personal favorite would have to be chryssy hynde (sp?) from the pretenders, who knows
what she is doing these days??
i also think sinead has a wonderful voice, i don't know about kick ass music, i think a
couple of mary's danish songs REally rock.

later,
stu.

Gregg Le Blanc

Mar 18, 1994, 5:33:48 PM3/18/94
If you want a great female singer and band combination, try Sun 60. They
are really really good! There is also a male lead too, but he doesn't
sing as often as she (Joan Jones) does.

TTFN
Gregg

__
/// G. Le Blanc in both: uleb...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu Santa Barbara
__/// (the commute is rough) or emb...@castle.ed.ac.uk Endinburgh
\\X/ No matter how fast you read this, it will still take you the whole time!

Benjamin Xavier Kim

Mar 20, 1994, 11:10:51 PM3/20/94

I am of the ethereal/goth school, so the groups I name may be relentlessly
pretty, as one publication called the Sundays, or downright bone-chilling.
But no screechers a la Janis Joplin...

Shelleyan Orphan
Sundays (these two bands have a spunky young-sounding vocals, very pretty)
Moon Seven Times (soothing, like Cowboy Junkies with more voice than throat)
Cocteau Twins (this singer is DEXTROUS...very creative!!)
Opium Den (spooky sometimes soaring, sometimes whispering)
Mazzy Star (amazing voice, very emotional...or not)
His Name Is Alive (sweet vocals accompanied by strange, but not entirely
unconventional music)
Dead Can Dance (very scary lyrics, sometimes old medieval songs)

Those are my faves, at any rate...and if anyone else has recommendations,
please, post 'em! I'm a sucker for female singers.

--Xavier
bk...@mail.sas.upenn.edu

Douglas A Brooder

Mar 21, 1994, 1:41:01 PM3/21/94

x-ray spex. Poly Styrene is the greatest singer of all time.
followed closely by Penelope Houston of the Avengers
and Texicala Jones from Tex and the Horseheads.

doug
--

^. .^ El Puerco Loco//bro...@acsu.buffalo.edu
( @ ) opinions are like farts: everyone's stink

Kurdt Cobain

Mar 22, 1994, 11:35:35 AM3/22/94
In article <CMvp0...@peacock.twinc.com> Ad...@mail.corp.tcinc.com (Cori) writes:
>In article <19940318120...@sp0116.kub.nl>
>H.M...@kub.nl (Minis H.) writes:
>
>> In Article <uhUuu*B...@xymox.apana.org.au> "to...@xymox.apana.org.au (Tony Stott)" says:
> > > : >gsu...@delphi.com writes:
> > > : >>
> > > : >>>>> i was wondering, can anyone recomend some good bands with
> > > : >female lead
> > > : >>>>> singers. hopefully with good voices, and kick ass music backing
> > > : >them up
> > > : >>>>> but if not that's OK too.
> >
> > It depends upon your definition of "kick ass". :o)
> > One of my favourites is New Zealand's "Headless Chickens", they have male and
> > female vocalists, depending upon the song.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > --
>> >
>> I'd recomend the Juliana Hatfield three, the best band ever with the best
>> female vocals ever. BUY THEIR RECORD, NOW !! You won't be disappointed.
>> Bye
>

>I recommend the Breeders, Concrete Blonde, Belly, L7, X, and Bjork.
>All have great singers with different variations of Kick Ass music to
>go with.
>
>-C3

and i recommend eve's plum, angelfish, babes in toyland, and pj harvey.

--

Kurdt, the blonde one

jsug...@drew.drew.edu

Mar 22, 1994, 11:39:13 PM3/22/94
> and i recommend eve's plum, angelfish, babes in toyland, and pj harvey.

and I recommend Bjork, The Sugarcubes (with Bjork), Belly, The
Cranberries, Eleven, Melissa Etheridge, Juliana Hatfield, Blake
Babies, Indigo Girls, Sass Jordan, Cocteau Twins, Sinead O'Connor,
Sonic Youth, Sunscreem, This Mortal Coil, and Hazel O'Connor. I am
sure that some of these are repeated but I jsut took them from my CD
rack. Anyways, just some thoughts.

Peace,

Jackal

mmae...@drew.drew.edu

Mar 23, 1994, 1:16:59 AM3/23/94

> and I recommend Bjork, The Sugarcubes (with Bjork), Belly, The

Hey Jackal, speaking of Bjork, where is she from? And what's the matter with
her? Have you guys seen her in her last video on that truck cruising the
city... there's something in her eyes when she looks away, towards the end
of the video... like she's really messed up in the head or something, but
not from drugs or anything... makes you wonder. She still sings and looks
adorable, though.

> Peace,
>
> Jackal

Peace 2,
Manolo

TRG...@psuvm.psu.edu

Mar 24, 1994, 10:44:45 AM3/24/94
How about Lush, Blake Babies (Juliana Hatfield's group), and the Primitives?

Minis H.

Mar 25, 1994, 7:49:00 AM3/25/94
In Article <94083.104...@psuvm.psu.edu> "<TRG...@psuvm.psu.edu>" says:
> How about Lush, Blake Babies (Juliana Hatfield's group), and the Primitives?

Juliana Hatfield's EX group