March 2022: Pilinszky event (online) with special guests

Diana Senechal

Nov 3, 2021, 2:17:13 AM11/3/21
Greetings,

On March 20, 2022, I will be hosting a Zoom event along with the ALSCW (Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers) dedicated to the Hungarian poet János Pilinszky. I will be interviewing the poet Csenger Kertai and the musicians/songwriters Gergely Balla (Platon Karataev) and Sebestyén Czakó-Kuraly (Platon Karataev, Cz.K. Sebő) on János Pilinszky and the role of his poetry in their art and thought. The interview will be combined with poetry recitations (in Hungarian and English) and performances of the guests' own work. The event is free and open to the public. No knowledge of Hungarian is required, but there will be enough Hungarian for speakers at any level to enjoy.

This is of interest to alt.music.alternative because two of the guests are the lead singers and songwriters of the Hungarian indie band Platon Karataev. Also, Csenger Kertai's poems have been set to music and song by a number of Hungarian musicians.

You are cordially invited to attend. Please encourage students, colleagues, and friends to join as well. We would be delighted if you could forward this announcement to your members. The Facebook event page can be found here: https://fb.me/e/1kj7VPF3j; if you click "interested" or "going," you will receive updates.

Here are a couple of past performances involving our guests. We will post more about them on the Facebook event page (as the date approaches.

Csenger Kertai (with the Hász Eszter Quintet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHoEC1db_sI&t=665s
Gergely Balla, Sebestyén Czakó-Kuraly (in Platon Karataev): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcmR7b0I_XA

I am a writer, teacher, and translator who has been living in Szolnok, Hungary for the past four years. You can find out more about my work on my website (dianasenechal.com). For more about the ALSCW, visit alscw.org.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Diana Senechal