Bad Religion, Nine Inch Nails, Raincoats interviews

Jason Gross

Aug 1, 2021, 11:11:56 PM8/1/21
Greetings,

In the latest issue of Perfect Sound Forever <http://www.furious.com/perfect/index0821.html>, you'll find (among other things):

BAD RELIGION
Interview with Bobby Schayer by Pete Crigler
"One of the preeminent punk bands of the first wave of hardcore in the ’80s, Bad Religion had already proved themselves as lifers by the time Atlantic Records came calling in 1993. Riding the wave of punk's resurgence, the band became more popular than ever and allowed a new, younger audience to discover what longtime fans had known forever. Bobby Schayer was their drummer from 1991 to 2001 and he recounted all the highs and the lows of the band’s second decade of popularity."

NINE INCH NAILS
Interview with Charlie Clouser by Peter Crigler
"Nine Inch Nails was one of the biggest bands of the ’90’s. Trent Reznor’s take-no-prisoners attitude singlehandedly won over a whole generation with hardly any effort. The music spoke to people who felt disillusioned and alienated. The band was a revolving door of fantastic musicians, but the 1995-2002 lineup was the steadiest and heaviest. Included in that lineup was keyboardist Charlie Clouser. From playing in one of the most insanely popular bands of the ’90’s to becoming one of the most renowned soundtrack composers of the 21st century, it’s been quite the ride for Clouser."

THE RAINCOATS
Interview with bassist/artist Gina Birch by David Gavan
"The Raincoats were subject to the same social forces as Scritti Politti. While Odyshape (1981), with its norm dismantling lyrics, is a mind-stretching experimental album - one that's earned similar levels of respect as esteemed '81 offerings such as This Heat's Deceit or The Durutti Column's LC - the superbly eclectic jamboree bag of an album that is Moving (1984) effectively atomised the Raincoats. Gina Birch has stated that the band was sundered by its increasingly disparate influences."

YOUTUBE PUNDITS
The new online music gurus by Jim Rader
"YouTube had changed in the five-year interim: far fewer free movies, but far more free music, especially rock. The first YouTube indie rock guru I chanced upon was Captain Beefart, the first vid that hooked me Vacant Lots' second album, Departure, which offered distinctive lo-fi production and a novel spin on The Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat, though Galaxie 500's "Fourth of July" might've inspired Departure's "Make the Connection," whose laconic recitation is apparently about the end of the world: 'Eyes wide awake / watching life disappear.'"

We also have a Spotify playlist with most of the artists above here:
<https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5TnVJS3L3iI2OSPoFnGcHf?si=e9cc19f291a94b68>

We're always looking for good writers and/or ideas so let us know if you have anything to share.

See you online,
Jason