NEW RELEASE: Joe Henery.. (and some interesting stuff)

7 views
Skip to first unread message

James Robert Pooton

unread,
Aug 16, 1993, 4:37:48 PM8/16/93
to
Joe Henery's upcomming release "Kindness of the World" will be release
on Sept. 28. He is backed by the Jayhawks, Victoria Williams, Phil Kelly,
and others on this latest release.

I havn't had time to listen to it yet. But when I do I'll post my thoughts
and the track listing. (I have to get a new walkman first ;-( )

Now here is the interesting stuff (I just have to leak it !!):

Joe Henery will be doing showcases the week the record hits in Los Angeles,
New York, and Minneapolis (cool) featuring special guests such as :

Bob Mould, T Bone Burnette, The Jayhawks, and Helmet.

I'll post more when I get further info....

Jamie Pooton
Mammoth

GUM...@vm.temple.edu

unread,
Aug 17, 1993, 12:46:19 PM8/17/93
to
Organization: Temple University
References: <CBvDn...@news2.cis.umn.edu>
X-Newsreader: NNR/VM S_1.3.2

James Robert Pooton of Mammoth Records (jpo...@salmon.micro.umn.edu) writes:
>
>Joe Henery's upcomming release "Kindness of the World" will be release

>on Sept. 28....
>
Oh, geez, at least learn how the guy spells his name before you attempt to
promote his record for his record company.

The name is Joe H-E-N-R-Y.

Christ!

Rob Lucchesi

unread,
Aug 17, 1993, 2:00:26 PM8/17/93
to

I saw Catherine Wheel with Slowdive last night at the 9:30 club in DC.
It was a very good show. Slowdive was pretty good ... I really like the
dreamy sound of the guitar. Pretty heavy on the bass, though.

Catherine Wheel opened with a new one (I don't have the Chrome album yet,
so I can't give a name) and did "I Wanna Touch You", "Texture", and "Crank"
early in the show. They finished with "Black Metallic". By the time they
came out for the first encore (2 more new songs) the walls were sweating from
the stifling heat. They did "She's My Friend" as a 2nd encore. They also
brought some fancy lights along (by 9:30 club standards). It was a powerful
and sweaty show (well worth the $5 admission).


Rob
--

Rob Lucchesi r...@pinhead.gsfc.nasa.gov
Goddard Space Flight Center (301) 286-9084
Greenbelt, MD

James Robert Pooton

unread,
Aug 17, 1993, 2:32:14 PM8/17/93
to

I wrote a lot that day. Sorry I nailed the extra e in there. You see spell
checking comes in at 109 on my list of daily priorities, right before brushing
my teeth after lunch. (and as you can tell I didn't brush)

(You might want to check again though, I have never seen his last name spelled
entirely in caps and dashes )

As for promoting.. PEOPLE write me if you think that it is too strong. I can
shut up and go into lurker mode, its a lot easier.

BTW It's not my record company, I don't even get paid....(With $ that is.. ;-) )

Jamiee Pooteon (Oh *&^#@!)
Mammoth

Lane Dunlop

unread,
Aug 18, 1993, 2:30:18 AM8/18/93
to
>They also brought some fancy lights along (by 9:30 club standards). It was
a >powerful and sweaty show (well worth the $5 admission).

Hey, Rob, a half dozen lights is powerful by 9:30 standards. Hell, anything
that goes off and on is. Which is not to detract from the room, some of my
favourite shows have been there. Hope is stays like it is forever, with maybe
a cleaner bathroom. If anyone goes by, tell Norm and Donna that Lane from
Vancouver says hello. Thanks.

Lane

GUM...@vm.temple.edu

unread,
Aug 18, 1993, 9:23:17 AM8/18/93
to
Organization:
X-Newsreader: NNR/VM S_1.3.2

>|> > James Pooton of Mammoth Records (jpo...@trout.micro.umn.edu) wrote:
>|> >
>|> >Joe Henery's upcomming release "Kindness of the World" will be release
>|> >on Sept. 28....
>|> >

>|> gum...@vm.temple.edu responded:


>|>
>|> Oh, geez, at least learn how the guy spells his name before you attempt to
>|> promote his record for his record company.
>|>
>|> The name is Joe H-E-N-R-Y.
>|>
>|> Christ!
>

>James Pooton replies:


>
>I wrote a lot that day. Sorry I nailed the extra e in there. You see spell
>checking comes in at 109 on my list of daily priorities, right before brushing
>my teeth after lunch. (and as you can tell I didn't brush)
>

gum...@vm.temple.edu responds again:

One time I can accept as a typo. Three times is just stupid, whether you're
paid or not, so long as you're putting the Mammoth name below your name. And
check your facts before you spill them out over the net. I think you'll find
most of the alternative superstars you mentioned are not playing at Joe's
showcases in LA, Mpls and New York. They are just friends, mentioned as
possible guests.


>
>As for promoting.. PEOPLE write me if you think that it is too strong. I can
>shut up and go into lurker mode, its a lot easier.
>

Yeah, you are promoting too much. The Internet was not created so that
commercial organizations could hawk their wares. I do believe, in fact, that
it's against the law. Buy an ad with all the money Atlantic gave your boss.

gum...@vm.temple.edu

The Stupidity Patrol

unread,
Aug 18, 1993, 3:47:50 PM8/18/93
to
In article <24r6bq$d...@skates.gsfc.nasa.gov> r...@pinhead.gsfc.nasa.gov (Rob Lucchesi) writes:
>
>I saw Catherine Wheel with Slowdive last night at the 9:30 club in DC.
>It was a very good show. Slowdive was pretty good ... I really like the
>dreamy sound of the guitar. Pretty heavy on the bass, though.
>

Just to put my hundreds of dollars in, I thought SLowdive was ok,
but they don't have any sound in their live performance that
isn't put through so much processing that even if they were all
whaling away at their instruments wouldn't put out anything more
than a loud purr. Plus Neil doesn't seem to like singing his
parts on the old songs, so Rachel sings the harmony, which
doesn't work quite right without the melody. They played
"Slowdive" and "Avalyn," plus She Calls and Catch the Breeze
from their 1st LP. I don't have their new one (supposedly out
domestically maybe next winter), but they did mention ALison and
Souvlaki. Rachel is a very strange person on stage. SHe always
giggles at nothing in particular. She also makes weird faces at
band members between songs for kicks and wore the tambourine as a
hat at one point. Not that this is bad, just weird. Both times
I've seen them live, I always get the impression that she was
majorly stoned.

They were enjoyable, but they made two mistakes- 1st, playing a
live Ride videotape of "Drive Blind" right before their set on
the video monitors, and secondly by playing the Spacemen 3's
cover of "Transparent Radiation" over the stereo afterwards.
Sorry guys, you can't make the comparison...

>Catherine Wheel opened with a new one (I don't have the Chrome album yet,
>so I can't give a name) and did "I Wanna Touch You", "Texture", and "Crank"
>early in the show. They finished with "Black Metallic". By the time they
>came out for the first encore (2 more new songs) the walls were sweating from
>the stifling heat. They did "She's My Friend" as a 2nd encore. They also
>brought some fancy lights along (by 9:30 club standards). It was a powerful
>and sweaty show (well worth the $5 admission).
>

The whole stage show for Catherine Wheel was so silly and arena
rock like it wsa fairly amusing. First of all, they pump the
club full of smoke, which is pretty silly, since the club is
pretty tiny in comparison to other venues that book similar acts.
Even at the back, you had the strange smell. Plus it was hot and
hard to breathe anyway. Then you had the irritating light show
that always managed to blind everyone in the club. I left before
the 1st encore, the music was ok, the audience was rather
ill-behaved and seemed more into moshing.
There were guys pumping their fists (!?!!), and crowd surfers during the
slow bits of songs annoy me. Luckily, if there's more than one
up in the air at a time, the crowd always manages to push them on
top of each other, and they end up falling on the ground.

The final bit of comedy was that they were selling shirts for 20
bucks, or 4 times the price of admission.

>
>Rob
>--
>
>Rob Lucchesi r...@pinhead.gsfc.nasa.gov
>Goddard Space Flight Center (301) 286-9084
>Greenbelt, MD


--
The Stupidity Patrol o o "...although the ratio of news to
li...@midway.uchicago.edu > drivel in many newsgroups compares
12XU! o unfavorably with the back of a
(Temporarily residing in DC) cereal box..." -Cecil Adams

Barbara J. Doyle

unread,
Aug 18, 1993, 4:21:25 PM8/18/93
to

In article <1993Aug18....@midway.uchicago.edu> li...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <24r6bq$d...@skates.gsfc.nasa.gov> r...@pinhead.gsfc.nasa.gov (Rob Lucchesi) writes:
>>
>>I saw Catherine Wheel with Slowdive last night at the 9:30 club in DC.
>>It was a very good show.

I saw them last night at the Avalon in Boston...an excellent show!
Slowdive (who i hadnt really heard til the show) was pretty good--
they had more intensity than i thought they would live...

But, Catherine Wheel, Wow! I had been looking forward to the show
for awhile and i definitely was not disappointed. The set was so
amazingly powerful..my only gripe was that they didnt play
Ferment, which i think would be incredible live..

>The whole stage show for Catherine Wheel was so silly and arena
>rock like it wsa fairly amusing.

>Then you had the irritating light show
>that always managed to blind everyone in the club.

I agree--i thought the light show was too "big arena" for me..
and it was definitely distracting...

>the 1st encore, the music was ok, the audience was rather
>ill-behaved and seemed more into moshing.

I found that here too...It's like they let a group of people
who had never moshed loose in the club...very annoying!
Moshing is the last thin you expect at Catherine Wheel..
(of course, it was the thing i expected during Arrested Development
at Lollapalooza too :))...

Overall though I thought it was worth way more than the $6
i paid...plus, after talking to catherine wheel after the show,
my friend and i got put on the guest list for the NYC show
tomorrow night...I wouldnt miss it.

barbara

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
..send you straight to hell..send you love letters *pwei*///bar...@wpi.wpi.edu
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages