Only You and other "Overdone" stuff

Kip Fisher

Mar 8, 1994, 1:34:04 AM3/8/94
Perhaps those of you who are debating which pieces are the most "overdone" just
need to learn to appreciate "overdone" pieces in new ways.

Perhaps we should all think of these pieces as being (by popular acclaim) part
of the "standard repertoire". There are at least two valid functions of a
standard repertoire:

(1) The many variations of a piece from the standard repertoire highlight
subtle differences in style that are harder to hear when comparing two distinct
pieces. Having listened and heard in the relatively easy context of the
standard repertoire, we are better prepared to listen and hear when we hear a
piece we have never heard before.

(2) A piece from the standard repertoire provides a "benchmark" for a group's
talent and skill relative to other groups that perform the same piece. It is
very hard to hide a weakness in a well-known piece. Conversely, there is no
higher praise than to say that a group has made a piec from the standard
repertoire exciting. (Normally, pieces from the standard repertoire are only
informative.)

I happen to like all of the pieces cited by various obvservers here as
"overdone". I see little reason for any of you to object to something that
others enjoy. If you have had enough of the standard repertoire (for now),
listen to something else! That is what I do.

But I do return to the standard repertoire when I am in the mood to expand my
listening skills.

Personally, I would be very interested in "discographies" aimed, not at
recording groups, but at certain, frequently recorded pieces. Good examples
are "Only You" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Wouldn't it be neat (when you
are in the mood for stretching yourself) to play several versions of a single
piece and critique them? I think such exercises are often both fun and
enlightening, and I think that indulging in them increases appreciation for the
art as a whole.

Back into your cages, you peasants in search of novelty alone. I want much,
much more.

Kip

Ken Purchase

Mar 8, 1994, 3:10:53 PM3/8/94

> Personally, I would be very interested in "discographies" aimed, not at
> recording groups, but at certain, frequently recorded pieces. Good examples
> are "Only You" and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Wouldn't it be neat (when you
> are in the mood for stretching yourself) to play several versions of a single
> piece and critique them? I think such exercises are often both fun and
>enlightening, and I think that indulging in them increases appreciation for the
> art as a whole.

First, to respond to an earlier post, Vince Clark, of Yaz, Depeche Mode,
and Erasure, did write "Only You," but it was first performed by Judy
Collins, in a very 60's sounding synthesized version. Vince later put it
on the Yaz album, "Upatairs at Eric's."

Second, to respond to the above post, Rex Solomon, who is an avid a
cappella fan in Texas, has two (maybe more by now) full 90-minute tapes of
nothing but a cappella versions of "Only You" and you're right, it IS very
informative! I have a copy of his first compilation, and no two versions
are the same, and they all say a lot about the group that
performed/arranged the version. I wish he was on internet to respond to
this, and perhaps offer people copies, but I guess we'll all just have to
make our own. BTW, please don't ask for a copy of mine, it's recorded so
quietly, you can barely hear it, and a copy just wouldn't come out.
(__) Moo Ken Purchase /|
(oo) / the Xtension CHORDS a cappella singers \'o.O'
/------\/ University of Illinois =(___)=
/ | || purc...@uiuc.edu U
* ||---|| w(217) 244-6898 h(217) 328-0416 Ack! Pfft!
~~ ~~

Michael DOC Uyyek

Mar 9, 1994, 6:50:28 PM3/9/94
I agree -- although such songs as "Only You" are indeed considered by most singing
groups as being overdone and old hack, they are indeed old favorites by
many audiences of many ages and walks of life. Although we all tend to be
partial to songs that haven't been done before, we ARE performers trying to
appeal to an audience, so singing "Only You" or "In The Jungle" is one way
of getting an audience to listen to the rest of your repertoire by getting
their attention. *Shrug* I have no objection to singing such songs, since
I happen to also like them, though I try to find songs that are a little
more "Cutting edge" music in a-cappella, just to differentiate my group from
the others.

-- MIKE!!!

you...@houstonjewelry.com

Nov 29, 2012, 3:50:20 AM11/29/12
Ken, its been 18 years, but I am on the "internet" [and have been since 1994 :)]

I would be happy to send anyone the compilation that is still interested....now they are all all tracks in my itunes! and if you would like a clearer copy, let me know!
R...@HoustonJewelry.com