Shure AXS3 mic

David Gallardo

Feb 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/9/00
I'm finally getting more or less serious about getting a studio together
so I decided I needed a new microphone to get either a Shure '57 (for
recording electric guitar) or possibly a '58. Well, the pro audio guy
there convinced me that those are really old school mics & that I really
should get something better, ie the AXS3, for vocals. Now, I tried to
get some info on this mic on the newsgroups, the web & Shure's site, but
nobody seems to know it exists except me & the guy at GC. Is this
something they've got elves cobbling in the back for them? Did I get
led astray? Does this mic suck? The sad thing is, in this state, I
can't return it because of the health code (same as a harmonica).

Chris G.

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
I'm not sure about the AXS3 but the AXS1 is one of their cheapest mics. My
bet is that you got screwed but you should've asked to demo the mics on a PA
system (assuming they had one set up) or at least on headphones to see which
one sounded better on your voice. The SM-57 and SM-58 are NOT oldschool
mics whatever the hell that means. They are tried and true mics that are
still popular for live use and in the studio because they are well built and
they are just good sounding multipurpose dynamic mics that usually don't
suck on most instruments and vocals.
But on the positive side, it's possible that the AXS3 is a decent mic. If
you can't return it just make the most of it.

Chris G.

David Gallardo <da...@tradeaccess.com> wrote in message

sjjoh...@my-deja.com

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00

> David Gallardo told how a GC salesperson switched him from the "old
> school" SM57 and 58 to the AXS3, and Chris G. was skeptical as to
> GC's wisdom.

What Chris said.

Also, I'd be extremely skeptical about this "health code" business. I
can't say for sure they're pulling the wool over your eyes, but it's a
definite possibility.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Gallardo

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
Hey... maybe this isn't a Shure? I think maybe it's made by another
company, Access, & I misunderstood the sales guy at Guitar Center...
Regardless, I still can't find any info about this mic...

sjjoh...@my-deja.com

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00
In article <38A2E84B...@tradeaccess.com>,

David Gallardo <da...@tradeaccess.com> wrote:
> Hey... maybe this isn't a Shure? I think maybe it's made by another
> company, Access

> <snip>

No, I think there is a such a product that at least has a Shure brand
on it. "Access" sounds right, but I think that's the Shure line or
something. Maybe it's a Guitar Center (or Musician's Friend) specific
product or something. Don't know anything about them, but I'm pretty
sure I've seen one (maybe only in a catalog, though).

Mark Wanlass

Feb 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/10/00

David Gallardo wrote:

> I'm finally getting more or less serious about getting a studio together
> so I decided I needed a new microphone to get either a Shure '57 (for
> recording electric guitar) or possibly a '58. Well, the pro audio guy
> there convinced me that those are really old school mics & that I really
> should get something better, ie the AXS3, for vocals. Now, I tried to
> get some info on this mic on the newsgroups, the web & Shure's site, but
> nobody seems to know it exists except me & the guy at GC. Is this
> something they've got elves cobbling in the back for them? Did I get
> led astray? Does this mic suck? The sad thing is, in this state, I
> can't return it because of the health code (same as a harmonica).

I saw a Shure AXS3 at Guitar Center, as well. Thought it might be
something like a relabeled BG51?

sjjoh...@my-deja.com

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
In article <38A3039A...@reyes.stanford.edu>,
Mark Wanlass <ma...@reyes.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I saw a Shure AXS3 at Guitar Center, as well. Thought it might be
> something like a relabeled BG51?

Okay. I looked at the Musician's Friend website (where there's a
picture of an AXS3, but no other info), and the Shure website, and --
it looks a lot (a whole lot) like a BG2.1.

Chris G.

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
Yeah, I just found it in one of my musician's friend catalogs. It appears
to be a new line of mics that Shure has out. They're selling the AXS3 for
$99. It probably is a fairly decent mic. For the most part, most of the
Shure mics (with the notable exception of their "Elvis" mic) have sound
quality that corresponds to their price. But that doesn't necessarily mean
that it'll sound like a SM-58 of coarse. But at any rate, it probably means
that more then likely you got a fairly decent mic. However if the salesguy
really wanted to give you something significantly better then a SM-58, he
should have steered you over to a CAD 95 vocal condenser mic. They're are
designed for live sound vocals but sound fabulous for recording work as
well. A friend of mine in a band I'm recording bought one after we did a
mic shoot out comparing it with half a dozen different Shure and EV mics.
So far we've used it on a few recordings with very good results. The only
negative thing about it though is that it requires a mic preamp or mixer
equipped with phantom power.

Also, I agree to double check on those health codes. Most people don't
stick brand new mics in their mouth and plenty of people try out mics in the
music stores which are later tried out by others and sold to other people as
new mics. Now if the sales guy was talking about returning a talk box,
which has a tube that you have to stick into your mouth, then I could see a
problem with health code violations. All you gotta do is make a phone call
down to the city office that enforces the local health codes to check on
that. They should also know all the codes for your particular state as
well.

Chris G.

Chris G.

<sjjoh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

sjjoh...@my-deja.com

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00

> As you know, David Gallardo told how a Guitar Center clerk steered
> him toward a Shure "AXS3" mic

This whole "SM57s and 58s are 'old school'" (whatever that means) /
"health code" business makes me really look askance at whatever the GC
guy told you.

Anyway -- look at a picture of the "AXS3" next to a BG2.1. They're
really *exactly* the same, except for a little blue trim on the BG2.1.
Even the little slots under the ring with the label look to be the same
on both mics. The BG5.1 looks similar, but a bit different (and it's a
condensor mic, by the way).

I haven't done exhaustive research, but the list price of the BG2.1 is
apparently $105, while the list prices for the SM57 and 58 are quite a
but higher than that (something like $146 and $188).

Pulse Music, for one (there are probably others that sell all three),
will sell you a BG2.1 for $63, an SM57 for $90 and an SM58 for $98.

David Gallardo

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
I don't remember what the guy said exactly, (I gotta admit 'old school'
weren't his exact words), but he said the '57 & '58 use iron magnets and
that the other mics he recommended use newer technology, esp. better
stronger magnets, so they have hotter output.

WRT to the health code business, this was in Boston, MA, and yeah, I can
believe there are such laws.

Maybe I'll take it back & trade it in for a sm58 or '57... (Or maybe I'll
get a '58 or a '57 in addition, or a '57 AND a '58... )

Chris G.

Feb 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/13/00
Well the sales guy is kinda right in that many of the newer mics with the
Neodymium magnets have a hotter sound then older dynamic mics that don't
have this type of element. However hotter sound does not always translate
into better sound quality. If you were mainly concerned about getting
feedback in a live sound situation, then yes, a hotter sound could be
advantageous as it might give you higher gain before feedback. But
otherwise the only advantage in recording is that it may or may not give you
a slightly better noise-floor. But with that said, your #1 concern should
be how you think the mic sounds on your voice. I wouldn't return the mic
just because the SM-57 is more popular. The AXS3 may in fact be a very good
mic. People just don't know much about it because it's a new model
(although as one person noted it may be a repackaged model from the Beta
Green line of mics). It's by no means the cheapest of the Access series
of Shure mics at any rate. If I were you I would hold on to it, and then
just look around Pawn Shops for a cheap used SM-57 for around $50-$65.

Chris G.

David Gallardo <da...@tradeaccess.com> wrote in message

groove_sf

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
In article <38A20D8A...@tradeaccess.com>,

David Gallardo <da...@tradeaccess.com> wrote:
> I'm finally getting more or less serious about getting a studio
together
> so I decided I needed a new microphone to get either a Shure '57 (for
> recording electric guitar) or possibly a '58. Well, the pro audio guy
> there convinced me that those are really old school mics & that I
really
> should get something better, ie the AXS3, for vocals. Now, I tried to
> get some info on this mic on the newsgroups, the web & Shure's site,
but
> nobody seems to know it exists except me & the guy at GC. Is this
> something they've got elves cobbling in the back for them? Did I get
> led astray? Does this mic suck? The sad thing is, in this state, I
> can't return it because of the health code (same as a harmonica).

Just to confirm - a few months ago I had a similar question so I
emailed Shure. Here's their response:

"The AXS microphone(s) are essentially B.G. (Beta Green) microphones
with different packaging. (The AXS 1 microphone is not a Beta Green
microphone.) These microphones are sold only through specific vendors
like Guitar Centers, etc. The AXS 3 is the BG 2.1. The AXS 6 is the
BG6.1."

Hope it helps.
KG

kimberlyj...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2016, 10:14:23 PM1/15/16
I own this mic..along with a beta 87 and a cordless beta 57..it stands up great next to both of them..for a 100 bill it is a great little mic..now discontinued. .but one of my favorites still..and yes itnis authentic shure