Is the original MUD still around?

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Mar 29, 1990, 8:05:57 PM3/29/90
I've been wondering... Some years ago, I played the original MUD for
a while (at least I think that was the original one, it was the one
written by Richard the Arch-Wizard et.al.). It ran on DEC-10 under
Tenex, and we played it over X.25 lines at Essex and the University of
Oslo. Anyone know if it's still around somewhere, and whether the
source code might even be available?

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway. Telephone: +47-5-959205
t...@barsoom.nhh.no, thel...@norunit.bitnet, edb...@debet.nhh.no

i...@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk

Apr 1, 1990, 9:23:18 AM4/1/90
In article <7...@barsoom.nhh.no>, t...@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
> I've been wondering... Some years ago, I played the original MUD for
> a while (at least I think that was the original one, it was the one
> written by Richard the Arch-Wizard et.al.). It ran on DEC-10 under
> Tenex, and we played it over X.25 lines at Essex and the University of
> Oslo. Anyone know if it's still around somewhere, and whether the
> source code might even be available?

MUD still runs at Essex, but will soon disappear. In August (I think), the
DEC-10 is being taken out of service and thus MUD will cease to be. This is
what I have heard, anyway. As for the source code, I don't believe that it's
available and even if it was I don't know how much use it would be ... I think
it's in DEC-10 dependent BCPL. None of what I'm saying is official, just
stuff I've heard. For the official line, you'll have to contact someone who
runs MUD now.

Ian
---

Matthew Farwell

Apr 2, 1990, 9:07:33 PM4/2/90
In article <5236.2...@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> i...@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:

This is mostly correct. The Multi-User Adventure that runs at Essex University
is called MIST, and is a derivative of the original MUD. (the name MUD is
copyright Richard Bartle in Britain, dunno bout other places). The code
is now maintained by Michael Lawrie, who owns the copyright to MUDDL, the
language MIST is written in. If you want more information, you'll have
to contact him.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell | Email: dy...@ibmpcug.co.uk