Net Use command - strange behaviour

Ikke

Aug 17, 2010, 4:17:53 PM8/17/10
Hi everybody,

I've got three machines in front of me, one running Windows 7, the older
one running XP and the oldest laptop is running Windows 2000.

When I issue the following command from the XP one to the Windows 2000, I
can connect to the administrative share as expected:
net use q: \\192.168.123.10\C$
It prompts me for the username and password, I specify the username (there
is no password), and all is fine.

However, when I issue the exact same command from the Windows 7 machine, it
tells me that the specified network password is invalid!

I've already tried to change the password on the 2000 machine to an
existing one, but after issueing the command again, it still gave me the
same message.

Does anybody know why this doesn't work from the newer machine?

Thanks in advance!

Ikke

Esra Sdrawkcab

Aug 19, 2010, 5:46:36 AM8/19/10

Try
net use q: \\192.168.123.10\C$ /user:W2000pcname\w2000username password

I've seen connections silently fail logon, yet connect you as guest.
also check to see if you have any persistent connections; the w7 machine
may have already tried to re-connect and failed authentication.

It might help to know what accounts you're using - a C$ share usually
requires an account with admin privileges to see and access it.

I'd also suggest that you might get better answers on an NT newsgroup.

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"

Ikke

Aug 22, 2010, 12:46:11 PM8/22/10
"Esra Sdrawkcab" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote in
<snip>

> Try
> net use q: \\192.168.123.10\C$ /user:W2000pcname\w2000username
> password

That didn't work...

> I've seen connections silently fail logon, yet connect you as guest.
> also check to see if you have any persistent connections; the w7
> machine may have already tried to re-connect and failed
> authentication.

No problem here, as far as I can tell.

> It might help to know what accounts you're using - a C$ share usually
> requires an account with admin privileges to see and access it.

Both accounts are admin accounts (as are all accounts on my machines, same
for the machine where it did work).

> I'd also suggest that you might get better answers on an NT newsgroup.

Thanks anyway for your advice, much appreciated!

Ikke

alireza...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2011, 5:45:41 PM11/2/11
i try to it but cant see any action

Sjouke Burry

Nov 2, 2011, 10:50:40 PM11/2/11
alireza...@gmail.com wrote in

> i try to it but cant see any action

Try this:

C:\Documents and Settings\klant>net use /?
The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

C:\Documents and Settings\klant>

Todd Vargo

Nov 3, 2011, 10:45:19 AM11/3/11
alireza...@gmail.com wrote:
>i try to it but cant see any action

Unfortunately, my crystal ball broke last week. You might have better
results in getting help if you explain what you were actually trying to do
(the task needed), the actual command that you used (copy/paste it), and the
actual error message that was displayed (again, copy/paste it).