wiping drive in DOS

Je...@nospam.invalid

Feb 5, 2011, 2:11:26 PM2/5/11
I have a very old PC I took out of storage. It has DOS 3.3 installed and
its only other drive is the old large floppy drive.

Is there something under old DOS that can "wipe" a drive?

This PC is from before the internet and therefore has no web connection
and no way to download anything to it. I do have modern PCs but they of
course do not have these old floppy drives.

Suggestions for how to wipe the drive before junking the PC?

Thanks.

Sjouke Burry

Feb 5, 2011, 4:52:58 PM2/5/11
Format /u/s

Je...@nospam.invalid

Feb 5, 2011, 5:08:22 PM2/5/11
Can I do that from c: if the DOS system is in C: ? In other words will
it format itself?

Sjouke Burry

Feb 5, 2011, 5:22:48 PM2/5/11
Yep.
The program loads, and from that moment is independant
of the os, which also btw. is residing in memory.
To be save, format/u/s a floppy, and put format.com(or exe)
on it.
Then boot from the floppy, and fomat c: /u/s

Je...@nospam.invalid

Feb 5, 2011, 5:46:50 PM2/5/11
Thank you.

Jacob

Feb 6, 2011, 1:40:49 PM2/6/11

Please don't multi-post.
This question was also asked in alt.msdos, and who knows how many
other places.

Not best to cross-post. Worse to multi-post.

Je...@nospam.invalid

Feb 6, 2011, 3:47:28 PM2/6/11
I apologize.