How do you start the freeware Brave browser in Tor mode from a Windows desktop/taskbar shortcut?

Arlen Holder

Nov 14, 2020, 4:46:18 PM11/14/20
How do you start the freeware Brave browser in Tor mode
(from a Windows desktop/taskbar shortcut)?

Starting Brave via a desktop/taskbar shortcut is easy:
o mklink %userprofile%\desktop\brave.exe "C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe"

Which creates a link whose target is the Brave browser in normal mode:
o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe

And starting Brave in private mode is almost just as easy:
o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe --incognito

But how do you start Brave in Tor mode via a desktop/taskbar shortcut?
o Even better, how do you start Brave in "ingognito plus Tor" mode?

This simply opens Brave in private mode (not Tor mode):
o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe --incognito --tor

There _must_ be a way to make that link; but I don't know how yet.
o Do you? (perhaps via a batch file?)
--
See also the related tutorial for installing progs where they belong
(you define where they belong, not a thousand different developers):

o Tutorial: How to install the free Brave privacy-based tor-enabled web browser where YOU want it to install (and how to save a full offline installer in the process)
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/bog50yqc_As>

JJ

Nov 15, 2020, 2:44:22 AM11/15/20
On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 21:46:17 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:
> How do you start the freeware Brave browser in Tor mode
> (from a Windows desktop/taskbar shortcut)?
>
> Starting Brave via a desktop/taskbar shortcut is easy:
> o mklink %userprofile%\desktop\brave.exe "C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe"
>
> Which creates a link whose target is the Brave browser in normal mode:
> o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe
>
> And starting Brave in private mode is almost just as easy:
> o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe --incognito
>
> But how do you start Brave in Tor mode via a desktop/taskbar shortcut?
> o Even better, how do you start Brave in "ingognito plus Tor" mode?
>
> This simply opens Brave in private mode (not Tor mode):
> o Target=C:\app\browser\brave\brave.exe --incognito --tor
>
> There _must_ be a way to make that link; but I don't know how yet.
> o Do you? (perhaps via a batch file?)

Brave don't use Tor.

Arlen Holder

Nov 15, 2020, 7:57:34 AM11/15/20
On Sun, 15 Nov 2020 14:44:06 +0700, JJ wrote:

>> There _must_ be a way to make that link; but I don't know how yet.
>> o Do you? (perhaps via a batch file?)
>
> Brave don't use Tor.

I've learned on Usenet that "sometimes" people say a lot with few words
o But if I assume you're saying exactly what you said... then that's wrong.

Brave does use Tor...
o What is a Brave Private Window with Tor?
<https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018121491-What-is-a-Private-Window-with-Tor->

The question I'm asking here is perhaps deeper than it at first may appear.
a. You can easily switch brave to using Tor via the GUI
b. But the question here is how to open _directly_ to Brave using Tor

I suspect it can't be done without some sort of batch file accompanying it.
--
Usenet is good for finding that one person in the world who has done it.

JJ

Nov 16, 2020, 9:08:26 AM11/16/20
In that case, then any web browser use Tor. As long as they're configured to
use it.

Ken Blake

Nov 16, 2020, 9:47:40 AM11/16/20
Even though I don't think I'm particularly brave, I also don't use Tor.

--
Ken

Arlen Holder

Nov 16, 2020, 11:04:21 AM11/16/20
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 21:08:03 +0700, JJ wrote:

>> I suspect it can't be done without some sort of batch file accompanying it.
>
> In that case, then any web browser use Tor.
> As long as they're configured to use it.

Hi JJ,

I don't know how long you've been at this, but I've been using Tor
seemingly for decades, so I'm fully aware of the sheer hell we used to go
through to "torify" our connections in the past (socks, tor, polipo, etc.).

Sure, you can torify anything, if you want to.
o I don't.

Like most people, I simply want to press a button & have Tor in the
browser, which Brave does in _two_ steps.

I just want to ask if there are any experts out there who can do it in one.

JJ

Nov 18, 2020, 6:50:48 AM11/18/20
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 16:04:19 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:
> Sure, you can torify anything, if you want to.
> o I don't.
>
> Like most people, I simply want to press a button & have Tor in the
> browser, which Brave does in _two_ steps.

Well, Brave is just a torified web browser. Just like TBB, but as an opt-in
feature rather than opt-out.

> I just want to ask if there are any experts out there who can do it in one.

In this DOS-based batch newsgroup?

Arlen Holder

Nov 23, 2020, 1:08:42 PM11/23/20
On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 07:47:37 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> Even though I don't think I'm particularly brave, I also don't use Tor.

Ken Blake,

Worthless pieces of shit trolls like Ken Blake are who ruin Usenet for all.

*You're a well-known infantile meaningless worthless piece of shit troll*.
o /Why must you always prove me completely correct about you, Ken Blake?/

*You've never in your entire life ever added _adult_ on topic value*.
o /Yet you continue to prove me correct _every_ time you post, Ken Blake./
--
Worthless pieces of shit trolls like Ken Blake are who ruin Usenet for all.