Re: set /P annoyance

Herbert Kleebauer

Jan 7, 2006, 11:27:22 AM1/7/06
John Dill wrote:

> Here is something I use for collecting a passwd using Herbert's code,
> so if there's a way to modify it to make the characters visible as I
> type, that would make my day.

Here is an input program where the user can decide whether the
input is hidden or not. If he press <backspace> at the start of the
line, the input is hidden otherwise not.

For W2k/XP:

@echo off
echo Bj@jzh`0X-`/PPPPPPa(DE(DM(DO(Dh(Ls(Lu(LX(LeZRR]EEEUYRX2Dx=>inp.com
echo 0DxFP,0Xx.t0P,=XtGsB4o@$?PIyU WwX0GwUY Wv;ovBX2Gv0ExGIuht6>>inp.com
echo supk`LGKsL{OBaswCG@gs@EbBy?x@x@GG{??xOt`B?B_r@mRpEDClpHrHj>>inp.com
echo MLtlH[EEDKi@BB?AzAE`LRsCjnEy?xpH@w?@zAB`LrG_G?0xxxxxxxxxxx>>inp.com

echo Enter your name:|inp.com>nul
for /f %%i in ('inp.com') do set input=%%i
del inp.com
echo.
echo Hello %input%

For Win9x/Me (works also in W2k/XP) you have to use:

echo set input=|inp.com>input.bat
echo.
echo Enter your name:|inp.com>nul
inp.com >>input.bat