Technical access to online movie database

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 13, 2023, 7:21:58 PM11/13/23
Hello, I hope this is not too off-topic and someone can help...

Given a movie title (original name or alternate name) I want to
retrieve from some free online database the _production country_
of the respective movie. - Yet I have not found any database that
supports automated access (CLI) and also provides the production
country as part of the movie information. An available database
file (like IMDB provides one as TSV file) with that information
would also be okay. But neither IMDB nor TMDB (for example) seem
to provide the country information through their interfaces or
database files. - Any hints?

Janis

Kang-min Liu

Nov 14, 2023, 1:39:33 AM11/14/23
Janis Papanagnou <janis_pap...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Given a movie title (original name or alternate name) I want to
> retrieve from some free online database the _production country_
of the respective movie.

From a quick glance of what IMDB provides at:

https://developer.imdb.com/non-commercial-datasets/

The "isOriginalTitle" flag would seem to me a pretty good proxy for
indicating what the production country (the "region" column) might be.

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 14, 2023, 5:46:40 AM11/14/23
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work.

If I take for example a German production movie "Keinohrhasen" I
find these entries

tt0960790 10 Keinohrhasen \N \N original \N 1
tt0960790 19 Keinohrhasen DE \N imdbDisplay \N 0
tt0960790 21 Keinohrhasen EC \N imdbDisplay \N 0

i.e. that the record with the "original" flag shows no production
country ("\N"), and neither of the other two is flagged original.

Inspecting other entries (e.g. "Miami Vice") it's similar; all the
entries marked with 1 ("original") seem to show a region of "\N".

Janis