DVD review: "The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniverary Two-Disc Special Edition"

1 view

am

Oct 18, 2009, 2:20:14 AM10/18/09
(The Trades) - How can one critique a classic film like
"The Wizard of Oz" when seven decades of history have
already done the job for you and arrived at the irrefutable
verdict that it's a cinematic mainstay of Hollywood? One
can't; Dorothy's adventure with the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and
Cowardly Lion -- adapted from the first Oz novel by L.
Frank Baum and brought to life by Judy Garland, Ray Bolger,
Jack Haley and Bert Lahr, respectively -- is unassailable.

However, the presentation can be made that much sweeter,
and that's exactly what Warner has done with this 70th
Anniversary two-disc edition (Amazon.com:
http://xrl.us/WizardOz70 ) that will appeal to cinephiles
and film history buffs. Yes, you can go out and get the
full-blown bells-and-whistles version with the wristwatch
and book in all it's boxed-set glory, but I'm satisfied
with the compact 2-disc, "fits neatly on my DVD shelf"
version, which is the one I'll be reviewing here..

Continued: http://xrl.us/WizardOz70review