Google Группы больше не поддерживают новые публикации и подписки в сети Usenet. Опубликованный ранее контент останется доступен.

Rose giving the finger to Lovejoy

589 просмотров

K8Titanic

не прочитано,
28 нояб. 1998 г., 03:00:0028.11.1998
I think Titanic was brilliant, but when Jack and Rose are running from Lovejoy
after the drawing scene Rose gives Lovejoy the finger. In 1912 would this have
*really* happened? I doubt the finger would have been a recognised way of
swearing let alone would a Lady have known about it.

Two other things make me laugh/annoy me:
1. The drawing scene is happening and we go to the smoking room to find Cal
saying to Lovejoy : It's a ship - there are only so many places she could be,
after lovejoy informs him about not seeing her. I mean for God's sake! Rose was
in her suite!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't you have checked there before the rest of the
ship???

2. Rose is getting changed in to her sinking dress and Jack is standing by a
window which is wide open. He then starts shivering and tells rose it's getting
cold! Please!!!!!!! Why didn't he shut the window.

If you fellow fans can come up with the answers apologies for wasting time!
From Kate
All life's a game of luck!
Make it count.
Titanic was called the ship of dreams, and it was, it really was.
I don't see what all the fuss is about, it doesn't look any bigger than the
Mauritania.

Stephanie Rendino

In article <19981128093239...@ng04.aol.com>,

K8Titanic <k8ti...@aol.com> wrote:
>I think Titanic was brilliant, but when Jack and Rose are running from Lovejoy
>after the drawing scene Rose gives Lovejoy the finger. In 1912 would this have
>*really* happened? I doubt the finger would have been a recognised way of
>swearing let alone would a Lady have known about it.

Apparently it's a pretty old gesture. Given Rose's wildness, I don't see
why she wouldn't have been at least aware of it. It might have been the
first time she'd done it, though.

(side note--anybody know what Kate Winslet's tatoo is? You can see it in
the attempted suicide scene. It's covered with makeup in the scene where
Ruth is doing up her corset. Too bad; Victorian women got them
occasionally and Rose would have been the sort to get a little one to make
her mom angry.)

>Two other things make me laugh/annoy me:
>1. The drawing scene is happening and we go to the smoking room to find Cal
>saying to Lovejoy : It's a ship - there are only so many places she could be,
>after lovejoy informs him about not seeing her. I mean for God's sake! Rose was
>in her suite!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't you have checked there before the rest of the
>ship???

Maybe he looked there first, didn't see them, then they went in after he
left?

>2. Rose is getting changed in to her sinking dress and Jack is standing by a
>window which is wide open. He then starts shivering and tells rose it's getting
>cold! Please!!!!!!! Why didn't he shut the window.

He's so poor, he never had windows that shut! :)

Andrew and Rebecca Hall

K8Titanic wrote:

> In 1912 would this have *really* happened? I doubt the finger
> would have been a recognised way of swearing let alone would a

> Lady have known about it. [?]

The gesture itself -- with essentially the same meaning -- goes
back as far as Roman times. There's a photograph of an 1888
team in Ken Burns' book "Baseball" that shows one of the players
making that gesture to the photographer.

Rose probably would not have encountered it, but certainly Jack
would have, and (one presumes) that may have been one of the things
she learned from him, like learning how to spit.

But even if it is historically plausible, in Cameron's film it was
(IMO) jarringly inapropriate. It just doesn't have the right "feel"
for the time period, and would have better been left out entirely.

---------> AH

What were their names, tell me,
What were their names?
Did you have a friend
On the good Reuben James?

OaksPhotog

не прочитано,
28 нояб. 1998 г., 03:00:0028.11.1998

>(side note--anybody know what Kate Winslet's tatoo is? You can see it in
>the attempted suicide scene. It's covered with makeup in the scene where
>Ruth is doing up her corset. Too bad; Victorian women got them
>occasionally and Rose would have been the sort to get a little one to make
>her mom angry.)

The tattoo in the suicide scene isn't a tattoo. It's part of the dress that's
hanging off her shoulder.

Mai-Linh Strauch

PoniesRGr8

не прочитано,
28 нояб. 1998 г., 03:00:0028.11.1998
What finger gesture are you guys talking about again? ~Renee~

Richard Hopkins

не прочитано,
30 нояб. 1998 г., 03:00:0030.11.1998

PoniesRGr8 wrote in message
<19981128182435...@ng-fb1.aol.com>...

>What finger gesture are you guys talking about again? ~Renee~

You've just *got* to be joking, right?

Richard Hopkins,
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Send all my spam to: r...@totally.buggered.org

DDaedalus

K8Titanic wrote in message <19981128093239...@ng04.aol.com>...

>[Finger question]

Others have answered this one.

>Two other things make me laugh/annoy me:
>1. The drawing scene is happening and we go to the smoking room to find Cal
>saying to Lovejoy : It's a ship - there are only so many places she could
be,
>after lovejoy informs him about not seeing her. I mean for God's sake! Rose
was
>in her suite!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't you have checked there before the rest of
the
>ship???

Just a guess (Only a guess):
Lovejoy, while dedicated, was at the beck and call of a rich and powerful
idiot. More than once Cal finds himself a mental step behind everyone (a
testament to the acting abilities of Billy Zane. Powerful, foolish, and able
to later voice a Disney cartoon hero). I'd just figure he sent Lovejoy on a
micromanaged mission (Ask her mother, ask the captain, talk to the head
chef, bring me a brandy, and tell me if you've found her).
It does seem kind of idiotic when she was in the sitting room for so long.
However, Cal was an idiot. Rich, but dense. When he cut Lovejoy loose to
look around, he finally did find her...

>2. Rose is getting changed in to her sinking dress and Jack is standing by
>window which is wide open. He then starts shivering and tells rose it's
getting
>cold! Please!!!!!!! Why didn't he shut the window.

I was wondering that myself. Lonely for Wisconson perhaps?

>If you fellow fans can come up with the answers apologies for wasting time!

This is fun! You didn't ask the matches/lighter question in yet another
thread, so who's wasting time?

Mabel Daniels

не прочитано,
30 нояб. 1998 г., 03:00:0030.11.1998
Rose giving Lovejoy the finger does not bother
me, but will somebody tells me why Cal is
shooting at Jack and Rose while the boat is
sinking?

Gina!

не прочитано,
1 дек. 1998 г., 03:00:0001.12.1998

Did you watch the movie? ;-)
It's because Cal is an extremely conceited man and he'd rather kill them
both than suffer the 'humiliation' of having his fiancee Rose dump him
and leave him for a gutter rat. The Cal I got to know had seen himself
so high on the pedestal for so long, that he was shocked and even
appalled that someone could have the nerve to 'dis' him like this. I
think it fair drove him insane.

This, as always, is my opinion.
Gina

Richard Hopkins

не прочитано,
1 дек. 1998 г., 03:00:0001.12.1998

Mabel Daniels wrote in message
<11435-36...@newsd-213.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...

>but will somebody tells me why Cal is
>shooting at Jack and Rose while the boat is
>sinking?

Presumably he's thinking along the lines that 'If I can't have her, I'll
make damn sure nobody else does'...

K8Titanic

не прочитано,
2 дек. 1998 г., 03:00:0002.12.1998

>>If you fellow fans can come up with the answers apologies for wasting time!
>
>This is fun! You didn't ask the matches/lighter question in yet another
>thread, so who's wasting time?

I think I have enough sense to know that it was a lighter and matches. since he
was looking for something to light his cigarette.
(no offense)

0 новых сообщений