Its OFFICIAL The Matrix is coming back

MummyChunk

Mar 14, 2017, 11:19:06 PM3/14/17

> Well hold on to your hats. Neo and The Matrix apparently are
coming back. Will there be a return of Agent Smith too?

> From HR
>

> The 1999 sci-fi movie is coming back.
> More Matrix? Bet on it.
>
> It s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources
tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages
of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie
that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic
history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

> Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to
star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

> At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the
original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their
potential engagement with a new version has not been determined.
Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a
blessing to the nascent project. The studio had no comment.

> Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have
approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential
new film. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the
studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. Warners is
said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not
only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a
strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more
meaning for fans than the producer. Silver's reps did not immediately
respond to a request for comment.

> Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and
Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality,
unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being
harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves)
slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming
humanity s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. The
pic also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo
Weaving.

> The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release
calendar March 31 and Warner Bros. didn t have outsized
expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book
influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects
(including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which
launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the
highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the
fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four
Academy Awards.

> While promoting John Wick: Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open
to returning for another installment of the franchise if the
Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct
it. And then we d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that d be
weird, but why not? he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that
Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

> While some at Warners consider the title among the studio s
sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to
redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking
for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come
by.

> The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in
recent months. But Warner Bros. sees a model in what Disney and
Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of
the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the
in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie
could come out of the exploration, as an example.

> Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which
Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network s super-powered show
Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the
X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=389927674#389927674