Hungarian silent film posters

mile...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2006, 10:53:39 AM11/20/06
Here's a whole area of film poster art that I was unaware of, but
there's a great exibition going on now at the Walter Reade in NYC. If
you can't make it, the Gallery has a website with these amazing posters
at http://www.ernstgaleria.hu/english/posters_coll.html

Unfortunately, none of them are for sale!

Dennis
Milestone F&B

Randall Coleman

Nov 20, 2006, 11:56:46 AM11/20/06

<mile...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Those are beautiful posters. I collected posters several years back and
stumbled onto a dealer who sold Polish posters. They too had an incredible
aesthic quality to them, and at the time they hadn't been discovered, so
they were dirt cheap.

Randall Coleman

kino eye

Nov 20, 2006, 6:46:19 PM11/20/06

> Those are beautiful posters. I collected posters several years back and
> stumbled onto a dealer who sold Polish posters. They too had an incredible
> aesthic quality to them, and at the time they hadn't been discovered, so
> they were dirt cheap.

I had the same problem. Stumbled onto a dealer who had come through
Eastern Europe just after the fall, and was selling them for 20-40
dollars. If he'd taken credit cards, I would have cleaned him out. As
it was, I could only buy two with cash, and then he was gone. I'm not a
poster person, but I regret not buying more.

The Hungarian national film archive has a display of wonderful posters
in their headquarters, often the posters exist where the films are
lost--one must think that often the posters were better than the films
they were describing!

Ferdinand Von Galitzien

Nov 21, 2006, 6:59:04 PM11/21/06

Und talking about Hungarian subjects... does anybody ( longhaired
or aristocrats ) knows ( in some elegant language ) something about
this silent film ( plot summary, director's biography or merits )??

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0006626/

This German Count would appreciate ( in aristocratic terms ) any
information about this unknown film in order to watch and comprehend
what Goethe's hell happens in such silent film...

Is there a Hungarian in the audience??... or even a Prusian??.

Herr Graf Ferdinand Von Galitzien
http://ferdinandvongalitzien.blogspot.com/