catch phrases: breaking my balls/jagoff

27 views
Skip to first unread message
Message has been deleted

Detour Filmproduction

unread,
May 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/28/96
to

DEFRANCO71 (defra...@aol.com) wrote:
: I noticed something: In Goodfellas, there is an abundance of the use of
: the phrase "breaking my balls." Not once in Casino do we hear this
: phrase. However, Casino is more than compensated by use of the word
: "jagoff", in which we do not hear at all in Goodfellas. Any comments?

my comment- what is your point, here exactly? different movie, different
lines...so what?

clark walker

Gregg Holtgrewe

unread,
May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96
to

DEFRANCO71 (defra...@aol.com) wrote:
: I noticed something: In Goodfellas, there is an abundance of the use of
: the phrase "breaking my balls." Not once in Casino do we hear this
: phrase. However, Casino is more than compensated by use of the word
: "jagoff", in which we do not hear at all in Goodfellas. Any comments?

This is to that Clark Walker character who thinks he's the foremost critic
and film historian. Why does there have to be a point? He's just asking
a question.
Gregg Holtgrewe

Detour Filmproduction

unread,
May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96
to

Gregg Holtgrewe (holt...@news.msus.edu) wrote:

geez greg, what did I ever do you to you? Are you just breaking my balls
a little or are YOU a jaggoff?

clark walker

ps to DEFRANCO71 -terribly sorry if I may have offended you by giving a
short reply to your short post. I wasn't trying to be rude, I just
wondered what it was that you were aiming at - a discussion of Long
Island dialect, humor, curse words, Joe Pesci's method, screenwriter Nick
Pileggi's motives, what?

pss to Gregg H. -
you say, "Why does there have to be a point? He's just asking a
question."

I say, sure, and his question was, and I quote, "Any comments?" My
comment was, "What's your point?" If his post "had no point" as YOU
infer, (not I) I'd like to hear that from Defranco, not a third party.


Eleven Shadows

unread,
May 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/29/96
to

Detour Filmproduction wrote:
>
> Gregg Holtgrewe (holt...@news.msus.edu) wrote:
> : DEFRANCO71 (defra...@aol.com) wrote:
> : : I noticed something: In Goodfellas, there is an abundance of the use of
> : : the phrase "breaking my balls." Not once in Casino do we hear this
> : : phrase. However, Casino is more than compensated by use of the word
> : : "jagoff", in which we do not hear at all in Goodfellas. Any comments?
>
> : This is to that Clark Walker character who thinks he's the foremost critic
> : and film historian. Why does there have to be a point? He's just asking
> : a question.
> : Gregg Holtgrewe
>
> geez greg, what did I ever do you to you? Are you just breaking my balls
> a little or are YOU a jaggoff?

Apparently a firm "yes" to both questions. This guy seems to enjoy flaming
people, including me, on several newsgroups. Personally, I've found most of Clark
Walker's posts to be interesting, well-informed, and often, showing
thoughtfulness. I've so far found Gregg's posts to be the opposite of that, often
not taking the time to to even comprehend the post before breaking out his trusty
little flamethrower (such as calling me an "asshole" and saying that I know
nothing of film-making for giving my opinion that Scorsese's best work was yet to
come, and several other things). Gregg, you need to lay off the coffee, make a
few friends, get laid -- whatever it takes to prevent you from having diarrhea of
the fingers. Try and contribute something to what is a public news forum -- other
than asinine provocations.
-Ken/Eleven Shadows

he...@ix.netcom.com

unread,
Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96
to

DEFRANCO71 wrote:
>
> I noticed something: In Goodfellas, there is an abundance of the use of
> the phrase "breaking my balls." Not once in Casino do we hear this
> phrase. However, Casino is more than compensated by use of the word
> "jagoff", in which we do not hear at all in Goodfellas. Any comments?

Actually, I just saw it again on VHS and they do say " Breaking HIS
balls" in the movie at least once if not more.. Besides, these gangsters
were from Kansas City and the lingo, accents and expressions are
incredibly different than that used in New York.

Message has been deleted

he...@ix.netcom.com

unread,
Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96
to

> So am I to understand that the scene in which Pesci stabs the guy with the
> pen takes place in Kansas City, as well as the scene where Alan King gets
> shot at the end?

Yes.

Brendan McGuire

unread,
Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96
to

In article <31B489...@ix.netcom.com>, he...@ix.netcom.com says...
I would assume that these things all happen "back home," which in real life
was in Chicago.


James C. Nitti

unread,
Jun 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/8/96
to

In article <31B128...@ix.netcom.com>, he...@ix.netcom.com says...

Plus the two major characters were from Chicago. And "jagoff" is definitely a
Chicago expression.


Sapna & Rocky Bhatia

unread,
Aug 31, 2022, 10:26:57 PM8/31/22
to
On Tuesday, May 28, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Detour Filmproduction wrote:
> DEFRANCO71 (defra...@aol.com) wrote:
> : I noticed something: In Goodfellas, there is an abundance of the use of
> : the phrase "breaking my balls." Not once in Casino do we hear this
> : phrase. However, Casino is more than compensated by use of the word
> : "jagoff", in which we do not hear at all in Goodfellas. Any comments?
> my comment- what is your point, here exactly? different movie, different
> lines...so what?
> clark walker

There is the phrase Jag Off in Goodfellas

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages