Re: Orson Welles heading back to big screen, in 3D!!

OW

Mar 26, 2010, 10:26:49 AM3/26/10
On Mar 25, 10:24 pm, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
<classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> president Harvey Lowry said. "This is a substantial find. It's
> something that a filmmaker dreams of."
>
> More than 25 years ago, author Robert X. Leed self-published a book
> titled "Christmas Tails," and in 1985 got his friend -- who happened
> to be the legendary Welles -- to narrate it, making five reel-to-reel
> recordings. The filmmaker passed away a few months later, and apart
> from Leed making the occasional copy of a reel to pass along with his
> book, the recordings stayed on a shelf in a closet of his Las Vegas
> home.
>
> In December 2008, Lowry was discussing a project with a colleague,
> Karl Fritz, who mentioned in passing a rumor of the "lost tapes,"
> believed to be the Welles' last professional recordings. The remarks
> went over Lowry's head at the time, but a month later he called Fritz
> back and wanted specifics.
>
> Lowry contacted Reed, who confirmed the tapes' existence and sent them
> to Lowry's Burbank offices. Lowry heard the distinct voice and began
> brainstorming.
>
> "We worked out a deal to option the book, and I got the recordings
> from him," Lowry said. The tapes were so old, he had to have them go
> through a chemical bath and baking process at Chemical Records so they
> could be digitized. He also verified their authenticity.
>
> Lowry then approached Welles' estate to make a deal about getting the
> film icon back onscreen.
>
> "I had the recording, but that didn't mean I could use them," he said.
> Deal in hand, Lowry began getting the movie on track.
>
> In "Tails," Santa's reindeer fall ill, forcing him to consider
> canceling Christmas. Meanwhile, his dog gathers other canines in the
> North to help save the day. Matt Thompson wrote the screenplay based
> on Leed's book, and Tucker, who directed "Monster Mutt," an upcoming
> feature Lowry produced, came on board as helmer.
>
> Drac, using its expertise in animatronic movie animals, will create
> the dog heroes and create a fantastical North Pole with computer
> graphics. The creative team -- Lowry, Tucker, Ron Halvas and creative
> director Greg Cannom -- has won Oscars for "Bram Stoker's Dracula,"
> "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Benjamin Button" and was nominated for "Titanic"
> and "The Passion of the Christ" among others.
>
> Welles' voice will be interspersed throughout the movie, much in the
> same way Boris Karloff's voice was used in the 1966 animated version
> of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."
>
> Lowry said he already has fielded interest from talent from word-of-
> mouth alone. "People see this as their last opportunity to act in a
> movie with Orson Welles," he said.
>
> Leed will serve as a consultant on the movie, and Fritz will be an
> executive producer. The plan is to shoot in the summer or fall with an
> eye toward a Christmas 2011 release.
>
> "We're still hoping to do the project we were talking about, but this
> one took over as priority, you know what I mean?" Lowry said.

That's great news, and a very clever plan. Of course, I'm not familiar
with the story, but if Welles agreed to narrate it, it must have
something going for it.

OW

Mar 26, 2010, 10:34:46 AM3/26/10
On Mar 26, 2:36 am, MFalc1 <mfa...@aol.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 8:33 pm, moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 25, 10:24 pm, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"
>
> > >http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3if745772b2...
>
> > "Let us not assassinate this lad further ...  You've done enough. Have
> > you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of
> > decency?"
> >     --Joseph Welch
>
> > --
>
> Actually, I'd like to see a restoration (both picture and sound) of
> Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT--
> with Rialto distributing it in theaters and Criterion handling the
> DVD.
>
> Mark L. Falconerhttp://www.poetry-arts-confidential.blogspot.comhttp://www.youtube.com/terrymcca

Welles' daughter Beatrice was attempting to restore CHIMES, after the
success of her restoration of Welles' OTHELLO in 1992, but the project
has stagnated for at least 10 years now, for mysterious reasons.

nick

Mar 26, 2010, 5:57:54 PM3/26/10
On Mar 26, 10:34 am, OW <bjm...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:36 am, MFalc1 <mfa...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 25, 8:33 pm, moviePig <pwall...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Mar 25, 10:24 pm, "Mr. Hole the Magnificent"

> > > "Let us not assassinate this lad further ...  You've done enough. Have
> > > you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of
> > > decency?"
> > >     --Joseph Welch
>
> > > --
>
> > Actually, I'd like to see a restoration (both picture and sound) of
> > Welles' CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT--
> > with Rialto distributing it in theaters and Criterion handling the
> > DVD.
>
> > Mark L. Falconerhttp://www.poetry-arts-confidential.blogspot.comhttp://www.youtube.co...

> Welles' daughter Beatrice was attempting to restore CHIMES, after the
> success of her restoration of Welles' OTHELLO in 1992, but the project
> has stagnated for at least 10 years now, for mysterious reasons.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I was enthusiastically looking forward to seeing Chimes at
Midnight restored and on the big screen, but it just didn't happen.
The whole project just seemed to vanish. It's such an amazing movie
but I've only seen it in the most dire VHS transfer imaginable.