kubrick a major racist.

THE UGLY AMERICAN

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
i saw killer's kiss and boy oh boy, what a racist work. in that movie, the
villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but he smells
bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed by a black
man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. kubrick seems to be saying the
tyrone jacksons and pedro gomezes of the world are taking over, beating you
up and taking your women.

and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a gang of
white mannequins. what a racist movie!

natch

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
In article <5iDz5.5905$Y6.10...@news1.mntp1.il.home.com>,

Your joking right? What movie were you really watching?

James M

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Olav Ragnar Ren Løkke

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
...so if the villain weas white it would be a better movie???
A bit touchy, are we?

Aidan Tynan

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00

natch wrote in message <8qo0ns$u06$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

>In article <5iDz5.5905$Y6.10...@news1.mntp1.il.home.com>,
> "THE UGLY AMERICAN" <PAPI...@DEVILSISLAND.COM> wrote:
>> i saw killer's kiss and boy oh boy, what a racist work. in that
>movie, the
>> villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but he
>smells
>> bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
>> the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed by
>a black
>> man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. kubrick seems to be saying
>the
>> tyrone jacksons and pedro gomezes of the world are taking over,
>beating you
>> up and taking your women.
>>
>> and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a
>gang of
>> white mannequins. what a racist movie!
>

>Your joking right? What movie were you really watching?

I'm guessing Carry On Camping.

-Aidan

g...@nospamforme.thankyou

Sep 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/25/00
In article <8qo0ns$u06$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, natch <na...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but he
> smells
> > bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
> > the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed by
> a black
> > man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner.
> >

> > and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a
> gang of
> > white mannequins. what a racist movie!
>

> Your joking right? What movie were you really watching?
>

> James M

It could have been Star Wars.

GH

Jeremiah Lee McVay

Sep 26, 2000, 1:22:25 AM9/26/00

THE UGLY AMERICAN wrote:

> i saw killer's kiss and boy oh boy, what a racist work. in that movie, the

> villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but he smells
> bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
> the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed by a black

> man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. kubrick seems to be saying the
> tyrone jacksons and pedro gomezes of the world are taking over, beating you
> up and taking your women.
>

> and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a gang of
> white mannequins. what a racist movie!

Yeah, you're right... and Dr. Strangelove is racist because there ain't one
black man in that bunch of people who decides to blow up the world. What, black
people don't have the same apocalyptic rights as white people?!

in other words, give me a break

~JLM

http://members.tripod.com/~TyroneZero/film.html

lobi...@my-deja.com

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00

> THE UGLY AMERICAN wrote:
>
> > i saw killer's kiss and boy oh boy, what a racist work. in that
movie, the
> > villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but
he smells
> > bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
> > the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed
by a black
> > man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. kubrick seems to be
saying the
> > tyrone jacksons and pedro gomezes of the world are taking over,
beating you
> > up and taking your women.
> >
> > and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a
gang of
> > white mannequins. what a racist movie!

Hey, people: Quote from FMJ:

ANIMAL MOTHER "White soldier" (To EIGHT-BALL "Racist name"):

All fucking niggers should be hanged.(sic)

After all, "American Ugly" was right!

Now, if only Bullington and Jack Torrance were (insert favorite
prejudiced ethnic minority here)...

Pedro Pinto
Lob...@hotmail.com

natch

Sep 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/26/00
In article <39CF84A3...@stud.su.hio.no>,
Olav Ragnar Ren =?iso-8859-1?Q?L=F8kke?=

<OlavRR...@stud.su.hio.no> wrote:
> ...so if the villain weas white it would be a better movie???
> A bit touchy, are we?

Odd thing is the villian WAS WHITE

CrtmnCP

Sep 26, 2000, 9:30:16 PM9/26/00
<< just as the girl is oppressed by a black
man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. >>

Beaner? You're calling Kubrick racist?

Kubrick usually portrayed African Americans as oppressed and usually in servant
roles (Shining, EWS). They also tend to be kinder and gentler than their white
counterparts (Shining, Full Metal Jacket). Kubrick's use of African Americans
in these types of roles tend to reinforce in his films his negative views
concerning the US and more specifically the way the US treat minoritys. The
Shining in many ways is about this very subject, considering that the hotel is
built where an indian attack took place (if memory serves) with the indians
defending their very land against the white settlers. The Native Americans
finally get their spirtitual revenge against the peaceful american family
through Jack Torrance.

boaz...@my-deja.com

Sep 27, 2000, 2:02:42 AM9/27/00
In article <20000926213016...@ng-cc1.aol.com>,

I'm still not convinced with the Native American theory. If the use of
Native American spirits to exact their revenge by singling out the
Torrance family was intentional on Kubrick's part, then it has to be
his most extremely subtle use of context in any of his films. I am
aware of Ullman's reference and the tapestries on display (and even the
Calumet baking powder can in the food storage room), but one would
think there would be better payoff with such setups. Not blatant, mind
you, but something with a little more "presence" to it (e.g., the clues
left behind by the ET's in "2001").

As for African Americans in Kubrick films, let's not forget James
Edwards as the partly disabled parking lot attendant in "The Killing"
and the shabby way Timothy Carey treated him there. The insult Carey
paid Edwards was pretty bold and daring for 1956, especially for what
was considered at the time a B-grade programmer movie. But sometimes
it was the B-pictures where directors could deal with such issues, Sam
Fuller being a prime example of that area.

Boaz

STEVIE NICK'S #1 FAN

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00

"CrtmnCP" <crt...@aol.com> wrote in message

how come david bowman was not a david BROman? how come barry lyndon didn't
have any blacks. a racist, i tell you!

AT

Sep 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/27/00
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:18:08 GMT, "STEVIE NICK'S #1 FAN"
<GOSTE...@NICKS.COM> wrote:

>how come david bowman was not a david BROman? how come barry lyndon didn't
>have any blacks. a racist, i tell you!

If you look at NASA personel and astronaut shots from the late
1960's, they could have been taken at an Aryan Nations convention.

If I'm not mistaken, was there not a black in Barry Lyndon during
one of the scenes? A servent or something in the background but my
menory is blurry on it. Presumablyhe would have beem transplanted
from one of the English colonies of the time, such as Jamaica or some
other island.

Wordsmith

Sep 27, 2000, 8:14:15 PM9/27/00
In article <8qs2i0$78h$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Fuller did quite well as a "B" list director, but *The Big Red One*
should have had a bigger budget. The Fuller film that most sticks in
my mind is *The Naked Kiss*.

Wordsmith : )

Helga Peeters

Sep 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/28/00
Kubrick didn't seem to mind holding Tom Cruise's little African-American
adopted child on his lap while shooting Eyes Wide Shut...

AT <at7000...@hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
39d2219e...@news1.lig.bellsouth.net...

edbe...@my-deja.com

Sep 28, 2000, 10:28:40 PM9/28/00
In article <5iDz5.5905$Y6.10...@news1.mntp1.il.home.com>,

"THE UGLY AMERICAN" <PAPI...@DEVILSISLAND.COM> wrote:
> i saw killer's kiss and boy oh boy, what a racist work. in that
movie, the
> villain is a black man who's not only seedy with eyes so beady but he
smells
> bad and has an eye for a blonde girl.
> the girl's savior is a white hope. just as the girl is oppressed by
a black

> man, our white guy is beaten by a beaner. kubrick seems to be saying
the
> tyrone jacksons and pedro gomezes of the world are taking over,
beating you
> up and taking your women.
>
> and the black villain is lynched at the end by the white guy and a
gang of
> white mannequins. what a racist movie!

Looks like someone hasn't been taking their medication lately...

edbermac

Clay Waldrop

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
"Wordsmith" wrote:
> Fuller did quite well as a "B" list director, but *The Big Red One*
> should have had a bigger budget. The Fuller film that most sticks in
> my mind is *The Naked Kiss*.

My favorite is "Pickup on South Street." It may be replaced
by "Shock Corridor," which I finally get to see, as it is on
cable this month.

Clay

boaz...@my-deja.com

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
In article <hS3C5.23470$g6.10...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,
"Clay Waldrop" <NOSPAM...@home.com> wrote:

> "Wordsmith" wrote:
> > Fuller did quite well as a "B" list director, but *The Big Red One*
> > should have had a bigger budget. The Fuller film that most sticks
in
> > my mind is *The Naked Kiss*.
>
> My favorite is "Pickup on South Street." It may be replaced
> by "Shock Corridor," which I finally get to see, as it is on
> cable this month.
>
> Clay

"Shock Corridor" is an excellent example of a "B" picture presenting
strong themes about racism, something the studios doing their "A"
pictures tended to skirt around if not avoid entirely.

Boaz

Ichorwhip

Oct 5, 2000, 1:43:00 AM10/5/00
>Yeah, you're right... and Dr. Strangelove is racist because there ain't one
>black man in that bunch of people who decides to blow up the world. What,
>black
>people don't have the same apocalyptic rights as white people?!
>
>in other words, give me a break

Perhaps you are forgetting the provisions of Luther Zogg?

Ich
"Peace is our Profession"

"Awake at last, yes?"

Ichorwhip

Oct 5, 2000, 2:21:10 AM10/5/00
Crtmn wrote:

>Kubrick usually portrayed African Americans as oppressed and usually in
>servant
>roles (Shining, EWS). They also tend to be kinder and gentler than their
>white
>counterparts (Shining, Full Metal Jacket). Kubrick's use of African
>Americans
>in these types of roles tend to reinforce in his films his negative views
>concerning the US and more specifically the way the US treat minoritys.

Out of the melting pot and into the fire....

The
>Shining in many ways is about this very subject, considering that the hotel
>is
>built where an indian attack took place (if memory serves) with the indians
>defending their very land against the white settlers. The Native Americans
>finally get their spirtitual revenge against the peaceful american family
>through Jack Torrance.

The Overlook was supposedly built on an "Indian" burial ground. Peaceful
American family? I thought that the Torrance's were fairly dysfunctional to
begin with. I do see some elements to support a subtext of this sort, the
revenge of the native american, but you do have to contrive quite a bit to get
to anything conclusive. In support, I've always found it fascinating that
Jack's weapon of choice is an axe, which can be seen as emblematic of the
"pioneering" spirit. I'd also think that the parting shot of the photo of Jack
amidst the revelers at The Fourth of July Ball is no mere coincidence. We the
people stole this country and have the gall to celebrate it every year with a
rack of ribs and a wad of potato salad("how was it?" "Uh.. it was from the
store" "Fuck her"). Yeah right, like it REALLY belonged to the British before
us and we the people are the aboriginies, ha!

There's a good link-up to FMJ concerning "Indian" genocide as well in the whole
"who'll play the Indians" scene.

In conclusion, it's all pretty speculative to say that Kubrick meant this or
Kubrick meant that when Kubrick wasn't willing to spell it all out (thank bog.)
But it is pretty fun to go prospecting. I think that's what he really wanted.

"I'll be Gen'rul Custer!"

tylerpau...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2020, 2:33:18 AM7/11/20
Obvious you don’t understand The Shining. It’s literally critique on the ingrained racism of and violence inherit in our culture. You need to learn how to watch movies.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Don Stockbauer

Oct 23, 2021, 10:04:34 PM10/23/21
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 1:33:18 AM UTC-5, tylerpau...@gmail.com wrote:
> Obvious you don’t understand The Shining. It’s literally critique on the ingrained racism of and violence inherit in our culture. You need to learn how to watch movies.

Hey kelp I wanted to respond to your last post but the news reader will only let me get halfway down and then it cycles forever so I can't respond to it

KelpsZoidzl

Oct 26, 2021, 4:08:27 AM10/26/21
lol SO you resurrect a ridiculous anti Kubrick Thread? Looks like I never posted to it.

Let it die

Jan Bielawski

Nov 14, 2022, 4:26:42 AM11/14/22
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 11:33:18 PM UTC-7, tylerpau...@gmail.com wrote:
> Obvious you don’t understand The Shining. It’s literally critique on the ingrained racism of and violence inherit in our culture. You need to learn how to watch movies.

This was not Kubrick's intent. But you can make your own interpretations, of course.

--
Jan

Don Stockbauer

Nov 14, 2022, 7:46:40 AM11/14/22
And how many opinions are there altogether?

Don Stockbauer

Nov 14, 2022, 3:16:32 PM11/14/22
That is , not how many questions can be uttered by one person but by all of humanity?

KelpsZoidzl

Nov 15, 2022, 2:41:15 AM11/15/22
Stanley Kubrick was neither a bleeding heart nor a superfan of poor, weirdo Stephan King--who used to be a talented pulp writer