Re: Groin injuries and burn wounds cause neurogenic shock -- this is weird!

Curly Surmudgeon

Feb 6, 2008, 2:40:20 AM2/6/08
On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 20:08:35 -0800, Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:

> Hi:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurogenic_shock
>
> Here it says neurogenic shock is caused by damage to the CNS.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2703355.stm
>
> Here it says a man died from neurogenic shock resulting from a blow to the
> crotch. How can that be? He did not experience any direct blow to his
> brain or spinal cord [i.e. the "CNS"]. So how could an injury to a part of
> the body other than the CNS cause neurogenic shock?
>
> http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:vz7ZhIHuQrcJ:www.montserratreporter.org/news0199-3.htm+%22neurogenic+shock%22+volcano&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1
>
> "neurogenic shock resulting from total body burns"
>
> How can total body burns cause neurogenic shock unless they directly
> attack the brain/spinal-cord?
>
> I could imagine total body burns causing hypovolemic-shock as the burnt
> blood vessels leak excessive amounts of plasma. But neurogenic-shock? Just
> how does this work?
>
> The definition of "neurogenic shock" is a dangerous drop in blood pressure
> due to injury to the central nervous system. How do groin kicks and burn
> wounds injure the central nervous system? Obviously they don't but those
> above last two links --
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2703355.stm and
> http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:vz7ZhIHuQrcJ:www.montserratreporter.org/news0199-3.htm+%22neurogenic+shock%22+volcano&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1
> , respectively -- state that a blow to the groin or a serious burn wound
> can cause "neurogenic shock". How can these injuries cause "neurogenic
> shock" if they don't directly injure the central nervous system?
>
> Central nervous system = brain, spinal cord, optic nerves, and retina
>
> An injury to the spinal cord causes loss of sympathetic stimulation below
> the site of injury -- if the spinal injury is high enough this causes
> neurogenic shock as the muscles in the blood-vessel-walls below the site
> of injury remain relaxed and unexcited by the sympathetic system. In the
> case of a brain injury, if the wounds are located in regions of the brain
> concerned with circulatory functions, then this may also cause neurogenic
> shock as the muscles in the walls of blood vessels will relax.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Radium

Haven't you ever experienced a good kick to the balls?

-- Regards, Curly
Osama didn't win, Bush lost. Strike that, Osama didn't win, _we_ lost.

chasseur

Feb 6, 2008, 3:11:53 PM2/6/08

"Green Xenon [Radium]" <gluc...@excite.com> a écrit dans le message de

The basic life maintaining functions of your body are under the control of
your autonomous nervous system. For example adequate blood pressure depends
on sufficient cardiac output (heart pumping action) and arterial smooth
muscle tone permitting sufficient blood pressure and blood oxygen transport.
Your heart and arterial smooth muscle tone depend on stimulation by your
autonomous sympathetic nervous system. If it shuts down your heart ceases
to produce sufficient output and the dilation of your arteries bring a major
drop in blood pressure (cardiovascular collapse) henceforth shock in the
physiological sense. For reasons unknown, extreme pain, sometimes even
extreme fear, have been know to provoke sympathetic nervous system shutdown.
The exact process is not completely known notably because for ethical
reasons humans cannot be kicked in the crotch in the lab. Even if you did
anyway, neurogenic shock (shock originating from the nervous system and not
necessarily from damage to the nervous system) from a kick to the crotch is
a very unusual event even if not unknown. It is also unpredictable.

Chasseur

strabo

Feb 6, 2008, 6:15:24 PM2/6/08

How about blow to the solar plexus or Taser shock?

Green Xenon [Radium]

Feb 6, 2008, 9:01:42 PM2/6/08

Okay but how do total body burns cause neurogenic shock? In the case of
pyroclastic flows, those caught in the heat are burnt badly. Their
nervous systems instantly goes into shock from the extreme heat. Why?

chasseur

Feb 6, 2008, 10:12:16 PM2/6/08

"Green Xenon [Radium]" <gluc...@excite.com> a écrit dans le message de

The autonomous nervous system seeks to maintain life. For example it is
important in the response to all types of stress. If you face a stressor
agent, your sympathetic nervous system seeks to mobilize your physiological
ressources to activate conditions that favor what is called the fight or
flight response. For your body, fighting or fleeing is actually the same
thing, a dynamic response involving mobilizing your muscle mass to run or
fight. To do that you need higher blood flow (cardiac output, blood
pressure etc.) to transport oxygen and glucose to your muscles and evacuate
the carbon dioxyde that is produced by hightened cellular activity. Again
although very infrequent, extreme stress may bring for reasons incompletely
understood, the opposite, sympathetic shutdown i.e. cardiovascular collapse
shock and death. Extensive burns generate extreme stress (physiological
stress), I would venture there resides your explanation. Furthermore
extensive burns eventually generate extreme fluid loss hence eventual
vascular collapse with ultimately shock, although here the fluid loss causes
shock, it is not of neurogenic origin. Again these are tentative
explanations as the exact physiological mechanism is not completely known
and difficult to study in the lab for reasons already mentioned.

Chasseur