Emile?

Hughes

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In a number of Hitchcock's very early films ('The Manxman',
'Blackmail', etc.), the name Emile de Ruelle pops up, usually in the
*Edited by ...* credit.
Since Alma was herself a film editor (*before* Alfred became a
director and married her apparently), I was wondering if this isn't
a French editor but actually Alma (i.e. Alma -> Emile, Reville -> de
Ruelle) ?

Fergal Hughes.
--
The prisoner is discharged and free to return to her husband.

Iksnamhcok

Jul 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/6/99
>In a number of Hitchcock's very early films ('The Manxman',
>'Blackmail', etc.), the name Emile de Ruelle pops up,

Interesting! Could be an in-joke, I suppose.

Also, remember Cary Grant's reaction to the police sergeant's name: "Emile?!!"
I've always wondered why he thought the name was so surprising and amusing.

Hughes

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
On 06 Jul 1999 03:00:51 GMT, iksna...@aol.com (Iksnamhcok) wrote:

>>In a number of Hitchcock's very early films ('The Manxman',
>>'Blackmail', etc.), the name Emile de Ruelle pops up,

>Also, remember Cary Grant's reaction to the police sergeant's name: "Emile?!!"

>I've always wondered why he thought the name was so surprising and amusing.

Dammit, I was wrong in the first place ... it turns out Emile de
Ruelle was a real live person, unto himself.
On Ken Mogg's prompting (and his pointing out that Alma already had
credits on the four Hitchcock films de Ruelle's name appeared on), I
checked the IMDb (as I should have done in the first place).

IMDb info.:
9 Editor credits (including 4 for Hitchcock 'The Manxman',
'Blackmail', 'Juno and the Paycock' and 'Murder!').
De Ruelle is also listed as Assistant Director on 9 films, from 1923-8
and as Production Manager on only 1, 'Young April', in 1926.
A single Director credit for a 1933 film made in France,
'L'Indesirable', leads me to naturally suspect Emile was of that
country.

Ken Mogg also did some checking ...
Jane Sloan info.:
"'Emile de Ruelle' has further credits listed there, on MURDER!,
ELSTREE CALLING, and MARY. But all are co-credits, with another
editor. Moreover, the editing credit for ELSTREE CALLING actually
reads 'A.C. Hammond, under the supervision of Emile de Ruelle'. ...
Reluctantly, because the idea was an interesting one, I would have to
say that the likelihood that 'Emile de Ruelle' = 'Alma Reville' is
only a remote possibility."

Fergal Hughes.
--
Your humanity is just as narrow as the humanity of the others.

Iksnamhcok

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
> I would have to
>say that the likelihood that 'Emile de Ruelle' = 'Alma Reville' is
>only a remote possibility."

Yes, but....WHY DID THORNHILL THINK THE NAME EMILE WAS SO AMUSING IN NxNW?!!!!

Simon Howson

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99

Because he was drunk perhaps?

Not much of a help am I :-)

--
Simon Howson

My ICQ UIN: 29673608
What is ICQ? http://www.icq.com
My "EmailCash" referral code: B22459
What is "EmailCash? http://www.EmailCash.com.au
ROCKINFREAKAPOTAMUS #: 2021
http://redhotchilipeppers.com
http://www.redhotchilipeppers.net

"A lot of the time your worst enemy is your ego."

- John Frusciante

Hughes

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

I have to admit, the first time I ever heard 'Emile' used as a man's
name was in 'North By Northwest' (I didn't see 'Notorious' till later)
and Thornhill and his mother actually voiced my thoughts!

I think Howson's right though ... drunkenness is a great
laughter-inducer.

Re-writing that scene:
THORNHILL (talking on phone)
Eleven thirty, he says ... Oh, I don't, I'll ask him.
(to Sgt Klinger) She wants to know who says.
SGT KLINGER
Sergeant Iksnamhcok Klinger.
THORNHILL
Sergeant Iksnamhcok ... (in disbelief) Iksnamhcok? ... Sergeant
Iksnamhcok Klinger.
(sniggering) No, I don't believe it either.

Fergal 'funnier-sounding than Emile?' Hughes.

Message has been deleted

sgkolodny1

Jun 14, 2021, 6:49:09 PM6/14/21
The joke, as I see and hear it, has to do with the incongruity of a stylish name such as Emile being followed by a typically Jewish name Klinger; think along the lines of Looney Tunes "Hopalong Shapiro." Grant's delivery double take of Emile has every inflection of an Eastern European accent. And then his "I know mother, I don't believe it either," relates to her possibly saying "What kind of a name is that,?" meaning "What Jewish parent names their kid Emile?" Screenplay was by Ernest Lehman who would find that funny.

Dan Auiler

Jul 4, 2022, 2:31:44 PM7/4/22
Fergal--

It's been awhile and I don't hang out on FB much, but is Emile Alma? I'd like to know--send me a note or reply here

Dan