Does anyone recall any Alfred Hitchcock bloopers??

cgarc...@my-deja.com

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Has anyone ever noticed any of the bloopers in Hitch's movies? The
biggest one that I can remember comes from North By Northwest...The
cafeteria scene...When Eva Marie Saint is about to pull out her gun to
shoot Cary Grant, look for a kid in the background to put his fingers
in his ears...ahhhh just another psychic kid who knew what was about to
happen <g> I also remember a bad continuity shot in Vertigo...the scene
where Scottie is talking to Elster in that lavish club...watch the
glasses on the table while they're talking....there are ice cubes in
them, then when we cut to the next shot, they mysteriously
disappear...Peggy oh Peggy(Robinson, Hitch's continuity girl), you're
lucky your head didn't roll on that one ;)

Anyone else care to contribute any Hitch bloopers, or continuity errors
they'd spotted in any Hitch movie?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Lani Covey

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Didn't someone on this newsgroup say that in The Birds that Tippi Hedren
was driving the car while the gear shift was in 'Park'?

Lasse Tveter Solbu

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
>Didn't someone on this newsgroup say that in The Birds that Tippi Hedren
>was driving the car while the gear shift was in 'Park'?

There are two small details I have discovered after repeated viewings in
"The Birds".

1. THE BIRDS: An unknown man can be spotted passing by in the "shining
methal" on Melanie's car. This happens in the scene were she and Mitch goes
to pick up Cathy from the school, and then nobody else is supposed to be
around.

2. THE BIRDS: In the child-party-attack scene, Melanie and one of the girls
runs past the same table twice.

Lasse Tveter Solbu.

Iksnamhcok

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
>Has anyone ever noticed any of the bloopers in Hitch's movies?

As I recall, in NxNW, as Cary Grant and James Mason discuss Eva Marie Saint's
fate in the Mount Rushmore cafeteria, the amount of coffee in Cary's cup rises
and falls.

Hughes

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99

Nooooo ... now I'll never be able to watch that scene again without
noticing that!
I hate when I discover a blooper like the one above --- it seems to
ruin any enjoyment of the segment in which it appears ... like, if you
watch carefully, you'll see Bruce Dern ['Family Plot'] open that
ketchup bottle twice (in two separate shots) while fixing himself a
burger.

Fergal Hughes.
--
You know, I have about the same interest in jewellery that I have in politics, horse-racing, modern poetry or women who need weird excitement --- none.

Brian Cady

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99

Again from North by Northwest notice the flowers on the table when Cary Grant
and Eva Marie Saint talk in the train's dining car. When the camera is facing
one of them, the flowers are in full bloom. On the reversals, the flowers are
all wilted (probably from the heat).

-Brian in Atlanta

Bill Warren

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
But don't you understand? Hitchcock was in full control over element of his
films. He didn't ALLOW flowers to wilt unless he wanted them to. He WANTED
the level of the coffee in Cary's cup to change.

All of these are encoded messages, not mistakes, bloopers or blunders. Any
day now Donald Spoto will explain them all for us.
Just wait and see.

cgarc...@my-deja.com

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
In article <19991010113601...@ng-ck1.aol.com>,
Wow Bill you must either be a critic wannabe whose material has been
rejected by everyone, or Donald Spoto must've beaten you up as a kid
and stolen your lunch money...It's only a movie, they're only human,
and show me a movie, ANY movie and I'll show you a blooper, continuity
error or just plaine plot hole.

Shtimsdrow

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
Brian Cady wrote:

>notice the flowers on the table when Cary Grant
>and Eva Marie Saint talk in the train's dining car.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in that scene, the water is
on the wrong side of the train for the direction they are traveling.

Richard Keith Carson

Bill Warren

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
>From: cgarc...@my-deja.com

>Wow Bill you must either be a critic wannabe whose material has been
>rejected by everyone, or Donald Spoto must've beaten you up as a kid
>and stolen your lunch money...It's only a movie, they're only human,
>and show me a movie, ANY movie and I'll show you a blooper, continuity
>error or just plaine plot hole.

Wow back. You must have missed a lot of the discussions here.

Keith Holder

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Spoto writes =real= books.
He is a published author many times over.

OTOH, Warren whines about not being able to get nine "free" copies of
his own work from his own [former] publisher to which he =claims= he is
entitled.

Also, he has sobbed =for years= about being unable to get his EVIL DEAD
COMPANION published. At one time, he even blamed his friend Harlan
Ellison for spoiling his chances when, according to Ellison, he
convinced Del/Abyss not to publish any horror-related titles.

I'd call it =professional= jealousy, but that would bestow undue credit
on Warren.

Captain Howdy

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Group: alt.movies.hitchcock Date: Mon, Oct 11, 1999, 5:41pm From:
Miste...@webtv.net (Keith Holder) Why Bill Warren disses Spoto

What burns me are the number of leaches and parasites who attempt to
create the illusion that they are actually a positive contributor to the
film and literary world, when in fact they are no more talented than a
stop sign. These self-proclaimed pundits do nothing to enhance the arts,
and it makes me wonder just what happened to these people in their life
that they must play the proverbial artist when in fact they are nothing
more than smoke and mirrors. My anger is even further fuelled
when one of these failures of life actually completes an undertaking
that eventually makes it to the screen or publishing industry. I guess
some people will do anything for a buck. I don't speak of
anyone in particular. Those reading this that I refer to know who they
are.

Iksnamhcok

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
>Hitchcock was in full control over element of his
>films. He didn't ALLOW flowers to wilt unless he wanted them to. He WANTED
>the level of the coffee in Cary's cup to change.

Funny!

Captain Howdy

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Group: alt.movies.hitchcock Date: Sat, Oct 9, 1999, 8:58pm (EDT+6) From:
dags...@online.no (Lasse Tveter Solbu) Re: Does anyone recall any
Alfred Hitchcock bloopers??
Didn't someone on this newsgroup say that in The Birds that Tippi Hedren
was driving the car while the gear shift was in 'Park'?

I thought her car was a standard, which means no parking gear exists.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Alex

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
cgarc...@my-deja.com writes in Message-ID:

>Has anyone ever noticed any of the bloopers in Hitch's movies? The
>biggest one that I can remember comes from North By Northwest...

<snip>

In the "Psycho" used car lot scene you can spot the reflection of a crew member
(who stands up) on Janet Leigh's car door after she walks away.

Lex
Lex

cgarc...@my-deja.com

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
In article <2106-380...@storefull-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,

Miste...@webtv.net (Keith Holder) wrote:
> Spoto writes =real= books.
> He is a published author many times over.
>
> OTOH, Warren whines about not being able to get nine "free" copies of
> his own work from his own [former] publisher to which he =claims= he
is
> entitled.
>
> Also, he has sobbed =for years= about being unable to get his EVIL
DEAD
> COMPANION published. At one time, he even blamed his friend Harlan
> Ellison for spoiling his chances when, according to Ellison, he
> convinced Del/Abyss not to publish any horror-related titles.
>
> I'd call it =professional= jealousy, but that would bestow undue
credit
> on Warren.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't a clue who I was dealing with...I suppose
some people get the breaks in the business while others are snubbed...I
personally like Spoto's books and have found them to be very
informative on both Hitch and the man's movies.

cgarc...@my-deja.com

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
In article <19991012112844...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,

Good call Lex...I just watched the Psycho DVD...actually the crew
member was already standing up, but as Janet walks away from the car,
he tried to duck to see if he wasn't noticed...but we caught him!
hehehe.

Captain Howdy

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
Group: alt.movies.hitchcock Date: Sun, Oct 10, 1999, 6:44pm (EDT+4)
From: bill...@aol.com.exx (Bill Warren) Re: Does anyone recall any
Alfred Hitchcock bloopers??
From: cgarc...@my-deja.com
Wow Bill you must either be a critic wannabe whose material has been
rejected by everyone, or Donald Spoto must've beaten you up as a kid and
stolen your lunch money...It's only a movie, they're only human, and
show me a movie, ANY movie and I'll show you a blooper, continuity error
or just plaine plot hole.
---------------------------------------------------------------LOL!

ambassade des pays bas

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 07:15:27 -0400 (EDT), Damien...@webtv.net
(Captain Howdy) wrote:

>Group: alt.movies.hitchcock Date: Sat, Oct 9, 1999, 8:58pm (EDT+6) From:

>dags...@online.no (Lasse=A0Tveter=A0Solbu) Re: Does anyone recall any
>Alfred Hitchcock bloopers??

>Didn't someone on this newsgroup say that in The Birds that Tippi Hedren
>was driving the car while the gear shift was in 'Park'?
>
>I thought her car was a standard, which means no parking gear exists.
>Maybe I'm wrong.
>

>There are two small details I have discovered after repeated viewings in
>"The Birds".
>1. THE BIRDS: An unknown man can be spotted passing by in the "shining
>methal" on Melanie's car. This happens in the scene were she and Mitch
>goes to pick up Cathy from the school, and then nobody else is supposed
>to be around.
>2. THE BIRDS: In the child-party-attack scene, Melanie and one of the
>girls runs past the same table twice.
>Lasse Tveter Solbu.

how about the birds not casting shadows when they attack the children
running from the school.

Marmalade_Man

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
On Sat, 09 Oct 1999 16:24:29 GMT, cgarc...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Has anyone ever noticed any of the bloopers in Hitch's movies?

In the THE BIRDS, I recall looking at the water when Melanie was in
the small boat. Within seconds if I remember correctly, it goes from
choppy to tranquil and back again as the camera angle changes.

If you really want bloopers, try THE SKIN GAME. I was quite amused by
the cut off heads and actors partially out of frame in many of the
scenes in that film.

In FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT about 2 minutes into the film, Mr. Powers
asks Bradley for the foreign dispatches. He briefly flips up one date
August 19, 1939 from Stebbins the Foreign
Correspondent. Under it you see for an instant a letter that is very
out of place.

I am not sure one can call this truly a blooper as one must use freeze
frame to catch it.

From my VHS copy of the movie I can read the following from the
letter:

? Film Company,
?ble Building,
Hollywood, California.

Attention: Mr. Davies.

Gentlemen:

We want you to know that we are pleased
with(?) your picture "TURN ON THE HEAT" for two reasons:

The picture is all that you promised us,
? , excellent photography, direction and a good
story, and best of all - it is producing for …..

Best wishes, Vic Evans (Marmalade_Man[NOSPAM]@hotmail.com
http://www.angelfire.com/me/marmalade/mathtips.html

RFCSAC627N

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>From: Marmalade_Man[NOSPAM]@hotmail.com (Marmalade_Man)

>If you really want bloopers, try THE SKIN GAME. I was quite amused by
>the cut off heads and actors partially out of frame in many of the
>scenes in that film.

This is the mark of a poor video transfer, not a defect of original
photgraphy.
Richard Carnahan

AAnder8443

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Also, in the same scene Grant's hands are on the table in the MCU and on his
cocktail glass in the reverse

Marmalade_Man

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99

Marmalade_Man (Vic Evnas) writes:

Richaard and the NG:

Yes, I have seen copies of some early silent films where a poor video
transfer was the cause of this type of problem. I also understand
that when a film is transferred to video a certain amount of the film
may be lost to allow for it to fit the screen.

However, in THE SKIN GAME I believe video transfer is NOT the cause of
the problem.

In this film Alfred Hitchock shows a total lack of interest in either
direction or editing No wonder, he wanted to forget this film
entirely and would not comment about it. I still think the film
contains more "bloopers" than the entire Hitchcock canon combined.

In HITCHCOCK - THE FIRST FOURTY-FOUR FILMS (1979) by Eric Rohmer and
Claude Chabrol, the authors have the following passage that backs up
my point:

"THE SKIN GAME is the worst film he has ever put his name to --- a
botched job in which the auteur seemed totally uninterested. There is
no trace of stylization in the acting or of precision in the
direction. On several occasions the movements of the actors, who are
obviously doing whatever comes into their heads, catch the cameraman
unprepared. As a reslult, we see either the beginnings of a camera
movement that quickly comes to a halt, or the character stepping out
of the frame while the camera wildly searches around for him in a
sudden panic. It seems unlikely that this is a stylistic effect,
especially since the film is completely devoid of all style. This
imprecision on the part of the man who championed the use of
storyboards indicates the film's unimportance in the work of
Hitchcock, who doesn't care to be reminded of its existence. When he
is, he immediately clamps his hands over his eyes and ears in bitter
contrition! So let us merely rescue from this dusty THE SKIN GAME an
amusing auction scene and a very beautiful shot in the last reel ---
and then let us pass over it as a film unworthy of its auteur."

Having seen this film many times, I still enjoy it but contend that
the "cut off heads" ARE bloopers.

Best wishes, Vic Evans (Marmalade_Man(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com
http://www.angelfire.com/me/marmalade/mathtips.html

randyc...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2016, 7:58:19 PM3/6/16
In the Movie the Birds when Mitch was boarding up the windows with wood on the latter when he was walking back down the latter the latter seems to be away from him and it appears he was walking back down on something else other then the latter because normally you would walk back down the way you climbed up the later he wasn't holding on to anything and his back was turn against the latter, blooper.