North By Northwest Question?

Fubar1956

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
We rented it last night, for the past year I've been renting AH's movies for
the kids to see. The are now hooked.

Las night we were watching NBNW and the scene where the valet comes to the room
with his suit. The white valet in NY, not the black valet in Chicago.

My 12 year old jumped up and said, "That's Nathan Lane."

I told him it couldn't be, because Nathan Lane and I were the same age, and we
were both 3 when this movie was shot.

Does anyone know?
Send your answers to fuba...@aol.com

Thanks. The IMDb site was no help. Neither was the Nathan Lane website
webmaster. They didn't know what I was talking about. It was indeed eerie.

http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCallion,+James

Could this guy be Nathan Lane's uncle or dad? You have to see it to see how
weird it is.

Sass

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
I looked up the movie at TV Guide's Site and listed in the role of the valet
is James McCallion.

Fubar1956 <fuba...@aol.comgaw> wrote in message

ccor...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2012, 8:43:17 PM8/19/12
He's a dead ringer for Nathan lane. I had the same reaction watching north by northwest !!

Wiseguy

Aug 20, 2012, 4:53:25 AM8/20/12
ccor...@gmail.com wrote in

> He's a dead ringer for Nathan lane. I had the same reaction watching
> north by northwest !!

I don't see a question.

Rich Wagner

Sep 2, 2012, 9:51:54 AM9/2/12
I sent a private message to the author of this thread asking him to
explain.

NBNW has never been a big favorite of mine mostly because of the
impossible ending for those of us who took the story seriously.

You invest all this time watching a comical, yet still serious drama
and it doesn't have an ending that's believable in any way.

Rich Wagner

Sep 5, 2012, 12:18:28 PM9/5/12
On Sep 2, 2012, Rich Wagner wrote:
Please take a minute to explain who you are talking about at the
Hitchcock Group?
----------------------------------
From:cour...@sciencebuddies.org(Courtney Corda) Date: Tue, Sep 4,
2012, 9:37am (EDT-3)

The bell hop... When Cary Grant is in the hotel room with his mom and
the bell hop comes to the room to return the suit with that has been dry
cleaned. The bell hop looks EXACTLY like Nathan Lane.
Perhaps, but the bell hop was played by Ralph Reed.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0715640/

creative...@msn.com

Aug 27, 2014, 8:06:58 PM8/27/14
On Saturday, August 14, 1999 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Fubar1956 wrote:
> We rented it last night, for the past year I've been renting AH's movies for
> the kids to see. The are now hooked.
>
> Las night we were watching NBNW and the scene where the valet comes to the room
> with his suit. The white valet in NY, not the black valet in Chicago.
>
> My 12 year old jumped up and said, "That's Nathan Lane."
>
> I told him it couldn't be, because Nathan Lane and I were the same age, and we
> were both 3 when this movie was shot.
>
> Does anyone know?
> Send your answers to fuba...@aol.com
>
> Thanks. The IMDb site was no help. Neither was the Nathan Lane website
> webmaster. They didn't know what I was talking about. It was indeed eerie.
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCallion,+James
>
> Could this guy be Nathan Lane's uncle or dad? You have to see it to see how
> weird it is.

I just watched a rerun of season 1, episode 36 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, entitled "Mink". When I saw James McCallion appear in one small scene near the end of the show, I thought, "Wow, it's Nathan Lane!" You are not the only one mistaking James for Nathan. I also was not able to discover any connection between the two actors via the web.

jer...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2015, 10:59:38 AM6/1/15
On Saturday, August 14, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Fubar1956 wrote:
> We rented it last night, for the past year I've been renting AH's movies for
> the kids to see. The are now hooked.
>
> Las night we were watching NBNW and the scene where the valet comes to the room
> with his suit. The white valet in NY, not the black valet in Chicago.
>
> My 12 year old jumped up and said, "That's Nathan Lane."
>
> I told him it couldn't be, because Nathan Lane and I were the same age, and we
> were both 3 when this movie was shot.
>
> Does anyone know?
> Send your answers to fuba...@aol.com
>
> Thanks. The IMDb site was no help. Neither was the Nathan Lane website
> webmaster. They didn't know what I was talking about. It was indeed eerie.
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCallion,+James
>
> Could this guy be Nathan Lane's uncle or dad? You have to see it to see how
> weird it is.

I also believed it was Nathan Lane who brought Cary Grant the suit. First the VOICE sounds definitely like Nathan's.... and the body and view of his face also. I've watched this movie many times, and just last night for the first time it came to me that was Nathan Lane... at least I believe it. The "suit deliverer" talked in a very soft voice, unlike Nathan, so that makes it hard to tell.

cliv...@gte.net

Sep 20, 2015, 4:55:36 PM9/20/15
On Saturday, August 14, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Fubar1956 wrote:
> We rented it last night, for the past year I've been renting AH's movies for
> the kids to see. The are now hooked.
>
> Las night we were watching NBNW and the scene where the valet comes to the room
> with his suit. The white valet in NY, not the black valet in Chicago.
>
> My 12 year old jumped up and said, "That's Nathan Lane."
>
> I told him it couldn't be, because Nathan Lane and I were the same age, and we
> were both 3 when this movie was shot.
>
> Does anyone know?
> Send your answers to fuba...@aol.com
>
> Thanks. The IMDb site was no help. Neither was the Nathan Lane website
> webmaster. They didn't know what I was talking about. It was indeed eerie.
>
> http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCallion,+James
>
> Could this guy be Nathan Lane's uncle or dad? You have to see it to see how
> weird it is.

Here is a web page with filmography and photos of James McCallion:
http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=11443

ere...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2016, 6:06:47 PM10/6/16
My mom just said "that can't be the guy who did stuff on Broadway with Matthew Broderick". Googling it finds she wasn't the only one who saw that resemblance.