Back Flip Kick in Enter The Dragon

davidw

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
Enter the Dragon has more Acrobatics than the other Bruce Lee films, one
compelling question is whether Bruce or a double performed the special feats
as follows:

1) The back spring from hands to feet in the first scene.

2) The back flips followed by jump over the six students, at the end of the
scene.

3) The overhead spin kick when fighting Bob (Ohara).

I've heard mixed reports regarding doubles ....

I believe that Bruce did most of his own stunts but I am not 100% certain
about those above.

Views appreciated.

David

John Overall

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
As previously posted, the double in all the scenes you mention is Yuen Wah,
now a HK actor in his own right, who features throughout EtD e.g. he also
stands in for John Saxon when he leaps off the floor while battling Bolo.
I'm sure others reading this group will list the other appearances. It's
been documented that Bruce Lee had plans to explore tumbling and acrobatics
and although he may have had basic skills in this area he reportedly wasn't
proficient enough to do the moves in EtD. Whether his back would have been
up to the task is also open to question...

davidw <dav...@mhnorthallertonhs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Ian

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00

please say this is not true....I'm a beleiver

John Overall <johno...@freenetname.co.uk> wrote in message

Jesper Hansen

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
> I'm sure others reading this group will list the other appearances

Actor - filmography
(1990s) (1980s) (1970s)

Ma wing jing (1997) .... Ma Tai Cheung
... aka Hero (1997)
Hei bao tian xia (1993) .... Bloody Woof
... aka Black Panther Warriors, The (1993)
Jing cha gu shi III: Chao ji jing cha (1992) .... Panther
... aka Police Story 3 (1992) (UK)
... aka Police Story III: Supercop (1992)
... aka Supercop (1996) (USA: US version)
Qing sheng (1991) .... Brother Wah
... aka Magnificent Scoundrels (1991)
Xi Zang xiao zi (1991)
... aka Kid from Tibet, A (1991)
Xiaoao Jianghu (1990)
... aka Swordsman (1990)
Huang jia nu jiang (1990)
... aka She Shoots Straight (1990)
Long de chuan ren (1990)
... aka Legend of Dragon (1990)
... aka Legend of the Dragon (1990)
Wei Si Li zhi ba wang xie jia (1990) .... General Yuen
... aka Bury Me High (1990)

Ji dong ji xia (1989)
... aka Iceman Cometh (1989)
... aka Time Warriors (1989)
Long xing tian xia (1989) .... Uncle Tak
... aka Master, The (1989)
... aka Wong fei hung (1989)
Mong ming yuen yeung (1988)
... aka Fleeing Couple (1988) (literal English title)
... aka On the Run (1988)
... aka Wang ming yuan yang (1988) (China: Mandarin title)
Fei lung maang jeung (1987)
... aka 3 Brothers (1987)
... aka Cyclone Z (1987)
... aka Dragons Forever (1987)
... aka Fei long meng jiang (1987) (China: Mandarin title)
... aka Flying Dragon Fierce Challenge (1987) (literal English title)
Dung fong tuk ying (1986) .... Giggling General
... aka Dong fang tu ying (1986) (China: Mandarin title)
... aka Eastern Bald Eagles (1986) (literal English title)
... aka Eastern Condors (1986)
Foo gwai lit che (1986) .... Security officer
... aka Fu gui lie che (1986) (China: Mandarin title)
... aka Millionaire's Express (1986)
... aka Nobles' Express (1986)
... aka Shanghai Express (1986)
... aka Wealthy Train (1986) (literal English title)
Long de xin (1985) .... Yan
... aka First Mission, The (1985)
... aka Heart of Dragon (1985)
... aka Heart of the Dragon (1985)

Enter the Dragon (1973) (uncredited)
... aka Deadly Three, The (1973)
... aka Long zheng hu dou (1973)
... aka Operation Dragon (1973) (Europe: English title)

----
Filmography as: Actor, Miscellaneous crew, Stunts
----

Miscellaneous crew - filmography
(1990s) (1980s)

Xiaoao Jianghu (1990) (martial arts director)
... aka Swordsman (1990)

Ji dong ji xia (1989) (action choreographer)
... aka Iceman Cometh (1989)
... aka Time Warriors (1989)

davidw

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Thanks for the responses and private E-mails....
I'd seen Bruce do tumbling scenes in his child films and considered that
he'd probably be capable of doing the moves, prior to back injury... but I
was always intrigued by the mixed views expressed before on the subject....

I'd read that he didn't do the stunt with Ohara but wasn't sure whether the
article was accurate.... but hadn't seen much regarding the other two
tumbling stunts.

David

simon leung

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
Arghhhhhh!
Romanticised Mandarin titles of Hong Kong films .
Why????!!!!!!!!

Can't stand the things....It's like writing French for English language movies.
Urrrghhh!

He, he.

Simon

simon leung

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
ooops!

Romanized...

Meeraa Matousek Harvey

Apr 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/14/00

He did: 1) The back spring from hands to feet in the first scene.

But he didn't do the other two: 2) The back flips followed by jump over the
six students, at the end of the scene; 3) The overhead spin kick when
fighting Bob (Ohara).

A gymnast was hired for the latter two. Bruce had a back injury; he couldn't
do the flips.

Joe

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
I read this one was done by Yuen Wah, a stuntman who went to the same
opera school as Jackie Chan.
He doubled for Bruce in a couple of other movies too.

In article <8d9sog$mgl$1...@gxsn.com>, "Meeraa Matousek Harvey"

P0stMAn

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 02:16:02 +0100, "davidw"
<dav...@mhnorthallertonhs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Enter the Dragon has more Acrobatics than the other Bruce Lee films, one
>compelling question is whether Bruce or a double performed the special feats
>as follows:
>

>1) The back spring from hands to feet in the first scene.
>

>2) The back flips followed by jump over the six students, at the end of the

>scene.

>3) The overhead spin kick when fighting Bob (Ohara).
>

>I've heard mixed reports regarding doubles ....
>
>I believe that Bruce did most of his own stunts but I am not 100% certain
>about those above.
>
>Views appreciated.
>
>David

In the Lost interview he said that he did all his own stunts... and
knowing Bruce's philosophy to be honest to oneself and not lieing to
oneself i'm sure he wouldn't contradict himself, therefore you can be
100% certain he did his own stunts.

jon brook

May 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/26/00
The ohara flip and the jump over the students were done by somebody else.
also the flip in fist of fury .
everything else was done by bruce .

jon brook

John Overall

May 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/27/00
How many more times?!

Bruce Lee was doubled by Yuen Wah.

jon brook <j...@no1strat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

sna

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00
The Lost Interview was just after the release of Fists Of Fury,
which was before Enter The Dragon was even thought of.

bigbl...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 3:49:13 PM6/30/15
recently found out that there are tons of oldschool fu flick stars, that were stuntmen in enter the dragon....would it be possible if u can drum me up a list of them? for instance: yuen biao, yuen wah, sammo, jc, david chiang.

thanks for the effort

BBO

bigbl...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 3:50:34 PM6/30/15
bruce didn't do any of his high flying stunts....it was all yuen wah.

bilingue...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2015, 2:59:11 PM11/25/15
Em domingo, 9 de abril de 2000 04:00:00 UTC-3, davidw escreveu:
> Thanks for the responses and private E-mails....
> I'd seen Bruce do tumbling scenes in his child films and considered that
> he'd probably be capable of doing the moves, prior to back injury... but I
> was always intrigued by the mixed views expressed before on the subject....
>
> I'd read that he didn't do the stunt with Ohara but wasn't sure whether the
> article was accurate.... but hadn't seen much regarding the other two
> tumbling stunts.
>
> David
>

> davidw wrote in message <8cm0n2$mrn$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> >Enter the Dragon has more Acrobatics than the other Bruce Lee films, one
> >compelling question is whether Bruce or a double performed the special
> feats
> >as follows:
> >
> >1) The back spring from hands to feet in the first scene.
> >
> >2) The back flips followed by jump over the six students, at the end of the
> >scene.
> >
> >3) The overhead spin kick when fighting Bob (Ohara).
> >
> >I've heard mixed reports regarding doubles ....
> >
> >I believe that Bruce did most of his own stunts but I am not 100% certain
> >about those above.
> >
> >Views appreciated.
> >
> >David

Hey, could you pls show me the vids that show Bruce doing these flips in his childhood?

halcombmu...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2018, 8:57:06 PM6/18/18
On Saturday, April 8, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, davidw wrote:
> Enter the Dragon has more Acrobatics than the other Bruce Lee films, one
> compelling question is whether Bruce or a double performed the special feats
> as follows:
>
> 1) The back spring from hands to feet in the first scene.
>
> 2) The back flips followed by jump over the six students, at the end of the
> scene.
>
> 3) The overhead spin kick when fighting Bob (Ohara).
>
> I've heard mixed reports regarding doubles ....
>
> I believe that Bruce did most of his own stunts but I am not 100% certain
> about those above.
>
> Views appreciated.
>
> David
Bruce did do the flips. Those were lies made up by his enemy.