2002 V Star 650 valve noise

rocker

Oct 8, 2002, 9:10:31 PM10/8/02
I bought my new V Star back in May and now the valves sound completely
awful. At the break in service, I was told that all the V Stars had valve
noise, but mine was excessive. After re-adjusting ,they still sound as bad
as the first time I complained about the noise to the dealer. I wasn't
satisfied with the adjustment and the dealer accused me of just not wanting
the bike anymore. How absurd. I just want the valves quieter. I don't think
this is asking too much. I was told to "just ride it, valve noise didn't
affect the performance of the bike."
Neither would peeling paint, but who would stand for that on a new
motorcycle?
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this kind of problem with
the V Star line and what their dealer had said or done to fix this problem.
Just for the record, the dealership, ATLAS Honda / Yamaha in Bristol ,
VA. , said at the first complaint , the noise was a problem. It could be the
heads, could be warped valves or it could be the cam. After 2 weeks of
working on the bike, the "problem" became a characteristic (after they
couldn't fix it.......)
Just wondering about this.......

GuitarMan

Oct 9, 2002, 8:56:06 AM10/9/02
"rocker" <@thedrumshop.com> wrote in message

2003 VStar 1100 Classic here and no valve noise here...I just turned over
1400 miles and she still sounds good.

--
2003 Yamaha V Star Classic 1100
*All incoming and outgoing mail is scanned using Norton Anti Virus 2002*

V TwinNut

Oct 9, 2002, 11:59:34 AM10/9/02
My 1100 Custom has started to make some noise but not
consistently. Have around 4K miles now.

It was really noticeable in Vegas at Bike Fest 2002.
Had been riding out in the desert and mountains and the
temps were high 90's +. I attributed it to the higher
temps.

Since returning to SoCal it has quieted down again
except for a couple of days with 100 temps.

I never recalled valve noise on any other bike I had
unless they needed adjusting.

I have seen quite a few reports concerning this in
here and on the Delphi Forums site. Lots of great info
there too.

Would be interesting to know if Yamaha will address
this issue other than the dealers saying "it's just a
characteristic of the bike"

VTwinNut

deimzig

Oct 9, 2002, 2:46:42 PM10/9/02
"rocker" <@thedrumshop.com> wrote in message

2000 V-Star 1100 in Arizona - Yeah, lots of valve noise. Louder than the
stock exhaust when stationary, but I've never worried about it because 1.
The dealer said it is typical of the model 2. My brother and one other
friend bought V-Star 1100's same day as me and both have a noisy valvetrain
3. Had a Virago 1000 several years ago that made noise too. Suppose it
could have something to do with Arizona heat...

Jim Frashure

Oct 9, 2002, 5:01:27 PM10/9/02
I have a 2001 Roadstar and the exact same thing happened to me. I bought
the bike with 3 miles on it... brought it back 2 days later thinking it had
not been "Set Up" correctly. The said it would quiet down once it had been
ridden in. 3 months later I called them, and they said give it a little more
time. FINALLY 6 months later they said that Yamaha had issued a shop notice
that the Roadstars had noisy engines, but that everything was OK.

The bike runs great! 53+ miles per gallon, TWO UP!

But it is SOOoooo Noisy.

--

Jim Frashure
Firstsaga.Com, Inc

Texas Heat

Oct 10, 2002, 12:29:29 PM10/10/02
"rocker" <@thedrumshop.com> wrote in message
I had a 2000 V-Star 650 Custom, smooth as can be.
Sold that to a friend and bought a 2002 Classic in late
August. New bike is noisy as hell with not quite 3,000 miles
on it. I'm going to readjust the valves and see if that helps
since it has this tapping noise that is driving me nuts
whenever it warms up.
I won't take it back to the dealer as they don't seem to
know their ass from a hole in the ground. Took them
3 1/2 hours just to install a windshield and backrest and
then they didn't tighten the nuts and I lost some on the
way home! Then they tried to tell me it didn't come
with that many nuts and bolts... I had one set in my
hand (that I managed to grab before losing) when I
call them!
New bike has one other shortcoming, it jumps out of
first gear into neutral, even when it's moving. All I have
to do is throttle off a bit and it's back in neutral. That
isn't good when you are in a turn at an intersection!
Makes me wish I had my custom back...

My hubby has a '99 V-Star Classic and the 5th gear
is just about toast. Something about the factory not
heat treating (hardening) the gears properly. He has
over 24,000 on his. Anyone here know of any of
anyone else complaining about these problems?

--
Sunny
'02 V-Star 650 Classic

Marty

Oct 12, 2002, 7:14:28 AM10/12/02

. . . I complained about the noise to the dealer. I wasn't satisfied with

the adjustment and the dealer accused me of just not wanting the bike
anymore."

I was told to "just ride it" . . .

Is it just me or do the people who work in bike dealerships appear to be
excessively rude? I swear I've never been in one of those place (anywhere)
that someone didn't act rude. What do they know that we don't? That's why
I'll never buy anything from any of them. I'll even take my service to
someone else. The same guy who services my car services my bike. I'm very
fortunate in this area, he races motorcross on one of the local circuits,
used to run a dealership garage, and has forgotten more about motorcycles
(especially Yamahas) than most of us know combined!

KAylward

Oct 13, 2002, 1:10:38 AM10/13/02
I have an '01 Roadie. Like all Roadie's, it has some noises. Some of them I
tracked down and fixed. Some of them I've learned to live with. As long as
the bike runs as good as it does, who cares.

I bought this bike to ride. Some people buy them to spit shine and polish.
Others want super horsepower, while giving up comfort and dependability.

Bottom line . . . fix what you can. Ask those better equipped to fix what
you can't. And when all else fails . . . accept that these are the quirks of
some very reasonably priced machines, that perform extremely well for the money
they cost.

In fact, the looks alone of these bikes is amazing for the price they charge.
I realize that other brands have some things that are better, and some things
that are worse also. I look at the overall value I got for the money I paid .
. . and I don't think any Yamaha owner could honestly say they got a bad deal.

The closest bike to the Roadstar that I've seen costs about 18,000 to 20,000
dollars. I spent 11,000. For the money I saved, I got free insurance, gas and
tires for the first few years! The overall value is tremendous.

Stephen Kuhl

Oct 13, 2002, 1:13:38 PM10/13/02
Group,

I've been very interested in this thread because I bought a 650 Classic early
this summer.
I am quite happy with it and have ridden over 5,000 kilometers. Including
a trip to Dover. (If you are from Canada you know what I'm talking aboot)
As for valve noise. I haven't heard any yet. Of course, living in Canada means
38 C (100 F) degree days occur only once every few years.
As for dealers' attitudesI do agree with the previous poster.
Here's my take on that. They are selling bikes and service so fast that
they don't need to care about customer satisfaction. When the sales start to slide
you will see the bad attitude shops go away, or they will change to become more
friendly.

When I was shopping for the bike, I could hardly get the attention of a
salesperson.
If they found out I was 'shopping around' they pretty much walked away from me.
They seemed to only talk to people that walked in, pointed at a bike and said,
"I'll
take it".
But, like I said when sales drop for a few years, I expect that attitude will
change.
Sometimes economic recessions are good for 'clearing away the chaff'.

Happy riding.

S.

Dave Difani

Oct 14, 2002, 2:28:44 AM10/14/02
Just an opinion from the other side of the fence on dealerships attitudes.
I have found that when you have a problem that a dealership cannot fix
relations become strained. I have dealt with many customers that simply
expect the impossible. If the valves are in proper adjustment there is very
little that can be done and if Yamaha themselves do not see it as a problem
there is nothing that you can do. As a rule of thumb, put yourself in their
shoes. You always get better service that way and will continue to.
"Stephen Kuhl" <stephe...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Meach

Oct 16, 2002, 6:47:36 PM10/16/02
I bought a 2002 Vstar 1100 new in March, I ride it everyday in Florida to
and from work,
Never had a over heating problem, never had any problems with it, and yes I
ride allot, as of today
10-16-02 I have 13,453 miles on it. 13 thousand miles in 7 months. and have
no regrets other than
the issue with changing the oil filter. for those that don't know, you have
to remove the front pipe to change
the oil filter.there is a retro kit that moves the filter to the front
though.

Meach
2nd officer
Southern Cruisers Riding Club