V Star 1300 - 1st Service = $242.96 ?

Mr. Freeze

Sep 20, 2007, 12:22:10 AM9/20/07
I recently purchased a Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer from Simi Valley
Yamaha. The owner's manual indicated that it be serviced at 1 month.
I took it into Simi Valley Cycles, where I purchased the bike, and was
quite surprised that the bill came out to $242.96!

I've been meaning to check my manual to see what all was supposed to
have been done, but haven't done so yet. I can relate by looking at
the Repair Order Invoice, it looks like I had a very expensive oil
change!

Here's what my invoice details:

Job: First Service For: 2007 Yamaha XVS1300

Parts:
1 Element Assy, Oil Cl @ $14.99
3 10w40 Motul Bulk @ $17.97
Parts Subtotal = $32.96

Labor:
Greg Zepeda-MC/ATV @ $200.00
Labor Subtotal = $200.00

Other Charges:
EPA Disposal Fee: $10.00

TOTAL = $242.96 ! ! !

To tell you the truth, I was guessing my 1 month service would be $30
- $50 total, so this came as a big surprise that the bill was about 8x
what I was expecting!

I'm posting here to ask what others think of this. It is entirely
possible that a lot of things were done that I don't realize that
might have taken several hours time, in which case maybe the $242.96
is entirely fair. But it is also possible that I just paid for a very
expensive oil change.

Please feel free to post what you think of this. If there are there
any other V Star 1300 owners out there, what did you pay for your 1-
month service?

I plan to call around to other local Yamaha shops and do a survey to
check up on this. I probably should have done the checking to prevent
this problem, but I was hoping I could trust my dealer (maybe I still
can?).

I'll repost here with my findings, and thanks in advance to anyone who
provides input here!

~MF

Rpgoerlich

Sep 20, 2007, 2:49:45 AM9/20/07
This is why we get written quotes for service work being done, so we're not
surprised at the damage when we pick it up !

"Mr. Freeze" <freeco...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

VStarRick

Sep 20, 2007, 9:24:14 AM9/20/07
On Sep 20, 2:49 am, "Rpgoerlich" <rpgoerlichNOS...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is why we get written quotes for service work being done, so we're not
> surprised at the damage when we pick it up !
>
> "Mr. Freeze" <freeconce...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > ~MF- Hide quoted text -

I have an 1100 and my first (and only dealer service) right after I
got the bike was about the same.
I think they also checked the valves and some other stuff - but it has
been a while.
I'd call them and ask them to justify that much time - sounds like the
charge
represents several hours of doing something!

Dave S

Sep 20, 2007, 1:15:20 PM9/20/07

That cost is about right with what the dealers charge for service on my
1100.

I bought the service plan because I was a new bike owner and wanted to
make sure any bugs were worked out. By doing the service plan, they lump
6 services (20,000 miles by their book) into a lump sum of about $1000
which seemed economical at the time.

On my 1100, in stock condition you have to remove the front exhaust and
to change the oil filter. With my aftermarket pipes on it, you have to
remove the floorboard as well.

They adjust the valve clearances, check timing, lube up things, check
spark gap or replace the plugs, and change the oil. The filter only
changes every 2nd oil change. Being fuel injected, your bike doesn't get
carb adjustments. They also tell you if something gets worn beyond spec
and needs replacement. They MAY NOT tell you if something is approaching
a wear limit and may need replacement before next service - not an issue
on first service but perhaps later. If you ride hard, you may run
through tires and brakes before 12000 miles.

Dealer based motorcycle service is costly. Find some riding friends who
have a freelance mechanic or non-dealer bike shop who will work on
metrics. Once my service plan is done, I will not be utilizing the
dealer - both because of the cost, and because of some other issues that
were specific to the integrity of my particular local dealer. I've
already found another mechanic and like his work.

ftlibs

Sep 20, 2007, 1:54:19 PM9/20/07
I am a new owner/new rider of a 99 V-Star 1100 Custom. I went to get my oil
changed and it was 100 bucks - 60 for labor and the rest for oil. The
problem is that they have to take the pipes off to get to the oil filter, or
so I''ve been told.

Buteo lineatus

Sep 20, 2007, 4:03:55 PM9/20/07
On Sep 19, 9:22?pm, "Mr. Freeze" <freeconce...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've been meaning to check my manual to see what all was supposed to
> have been done, but haven't done so yet.

Well, do that, and then call some Yamaha $tealer$hip$ and ask them
what the Flat Rate book has to say about the labor hours required to
do the initial service on your model. There might be overlapping Flat
Rate charges involved.

The Flat Rate book makes it possible for a mechanic to still make
money off a job even if he runs into problems and has to do a lot of
extra disassembly and reassembly to get the job done right.

It seems to me like if you can afford to ride a big cruiser like that,
you can afford to pay for the first service so you will have proof of
early problems if you need to have major warranty work done a few
months from now, even if that is unlikely.

I was talking to a whiny Harley rider who owned no less than FIVE
brand new Big Twins at the same time. He fell in love with every new
Harley that appeared on the showroom floor and he said he couldn't
sleep nights, he'd have anxiety attacks until he bought it.

He had different tires mounted because he didn't like the original
equipment tires and he also wanted custom twisted spokes installed in
his wheels.

So the mechanic charged him the Flat Rate for removing the wheels and
changing the tires, and turned around and charged him the same Flat
Rate again for removing the wheels and relacing the wheels with trick
twisted spokes and removing and reinstalling the tires.

The Harley rider was a rich guy by most people's standards, he owned
$100,000 worth of new Harleys and he made $150 an hour in his
business, but he didn't want the mechanic to make any money off of him
if he could somehow avoid it.

I don't know if he cried to the Harley $hop owner or not, but he sure
did whine about it to me. Good gawd, what was $200 to that guy?

Dave S

Sep 20, 2007, 5:32:23 PM9/20/07
ftlibs wrote:
> I am a new owner/new rider of a 99 V-Star 1100 Custom. I went to get my oil
> changed and it was 100 bucks - 60 for labor and the rest for oil. The
> problem is that they have to take the pipes off to get to the oil filter, or
> so I''ve been told.

If you have not installed an oil filter relocation kit on your Vstar,
this is true - removing the exhaust to get to the oil filter.

Raymond Sirois

Sep 20, 2007, 11:46:10 PM9/20/07
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 04:22:10 -0000, "Mr. Freeze"
<freeco...@hotmail.com>, in an obviously impaired state, wrote:
>I've been meaning to check my manual to see what all was supposed to
>have been done, but haven't done so yet. I can relate by looking at
>the Repair Order Invoice, it looks like I had a very expensive oil
>change!
>
>Here's what my invoice details:
>
>Job: First Service For: 2007 Yamaha XVS1300
>
>Parts:
>1 Element Assy, Oil Cl @ $14.99
>3 10w40 Motul Bulk @ $17.97
>Parts Subtotal = $32.96
>
>Labor:
>Greg Zepeda-MC/ATV @ $200.00
>Labor Subtotal = $200.00
>
>Other Charges:
>EPA Disposal Fee: $10.00
>
>TOTAL = $242.96 ! ! !
>
>To tell you the truth, I was guessing my 1 month service would be $30
>- $50 total, so this came as a big surprise that the bill was about 8x
>what I was expecting!
>
>I'm posting here to ask what others think of this. It is entirely

Obviously that labor rate is way out of line. What I would do is go
back to the shop and ask to speak to the owner/manager. Explain in a
calm, reasonable, and polite manner exactly what your objection to the
bill is, and explain to him that if they want your return business,
they will need to make the appropriate adjustments on your bill. I'd
also explain that you are not the only bike rider/owner that you know
of and that word of mouth is not only the best, but also the worst
advertising possible.

I'd be willing to pay up to $50.00 in labor if they can prove that in
addition to the oil change they performed a check of all items listed
under the recommended service items listed in the manual.
--
Ray Sirois
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS

Dave S

Sep 21, 2007, 6:55:43 PM9/21/07
Raymond Sirois wrote:

> I'd be willing to pay up to $50.00 in labor if they can prove that in
> addition to the oil change they performed a check of all items listed
> under the recommended service items listed in the manual.

According to the maintenance manual for my vstar 1100:

at 1 month of 600 miles:
1) check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold
2) adjust synchronization of carburators (does not apply to the 1300
with fuel injection)
3) replace engine oil filter (remove front exhaust and exhaust gasket)
4) replace engine oil
5) Check brack system - add fluid, replace pads if necessary
6) check clutch operation, adjust or replace cable - this usually
stretches during break-in
7) replace gear oil in final drive (is the 1300 a belt drive?)
8) lubricate control and meter cable
9) check sidestand switch operation.

Add the typical dealership markup on parts and labor and you have about
what he was charged.

If you only want to pay $50 in labor for service, you need to ask up
front what you get for that $50, or go somewhere that only charges $50.

This is buyer's beware, for assuming that a bike service would cost no
more than a car service. In my local dealership the prices for their
services are posted on the wall.

Dave

Raymond Sirois

Sep 21, 2007, 11:41:54 PM9/21/07
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:55:43 -0500, Dave S <Dast...@earthlink.net>,

in an obviously impaired state, wrote:

The only parts and work listed was an oil change. For that, I'd be
willing to pony up the extra $50.

Anything else should be itemized on the work bill, and therefore time
and labor would be charged per item.

HOWEVER, the original poster indicated that the only work listed on
the order was and oil change, at $200 for labor.

Dave S

Sep 22, 2007, 10:10:53 PM9/22/07
Raymond Sirois wrote:

> HOWEVER, the original poster indicated that the only work listed on
> the order was and oil change, at $200 for labor.

Direct quote

"The owner's manual indicated that it be serviced at 1 month.

I took it into Simi Valley Cycles,"- end quote

Service is what he asked for, service is what he got. The bill may have
only itemized the oil change, but the cost that he paid is comparable to
what I would have been charged 1500 miles from him regarding the cost of
the manufacturer's recommended servicing. Did he get $250 in value? Most
certainly not. Did he get screwed? Not more than or less than any other
customer presenting for the very same service.

Again. This is a matter of preconceived assumptions followed by sticker
shock. I have no explanation on the part of the dealer for why the bill
was not itemized further than "parts" and "labor", but my recommendation
is to find a non-dealer mom n pop bike shop that doesn't charge
dealership rates. Or a freelance bike mechanic. Ask the cops.. those who
ride usually have someone they know, and can recommend. Thats how I
found mine.