Harley-Davidson still to close Kansas City plant despite Missouri delegation plea

Leroy N. Soetoro

May 28, 2018, 1:33:22 PM5/28/18
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/02/18/harley-
davidson-stands-plans-close-kansas-city-plant/349928002/

MILWAUKEE — Harley-Davidson is standing by its plans to close a motorcycle
assembly plant in Kansas City, eliminating about 800 jobs there, despite a
plea by Missouri congressional leaders who reminded the iconic motorcycle
maker of the millions of dollars in incentives the state gave to it over
the past two decades.

In a letter sent Friday to Harley CEO Matt Levatich, Missouri's two U.S.
senators along with two congressmen noted that Kansas City beat out 30
other cities across the country when Harley was looking to build an
assembly plant in 1996.

“It came with a considerable incentive package from the city, Platte
County and the state of Missouri,” the bipartisan group of lawmakers said
in the letter. “Over that time, the company has become an important part
of the community and has grown to be one of the largest manufacturers in
the Kansas City region."

State and local leaders offered a $6.4 million incentive package to lure
Harley to Kansas City initially, and those subsidies grew by tens of
millions of dollars over time, according to the Kansas City Star.

Harley spokesman Michael Pflughoeft said Friday the company had not yet
seen the letter. But he said the decision to close the plant was based on
market conditions.

“Ultimately, this initiative is about reducing excess (plant) capacity.
Our Kansas City workforce has done a tremendous job producing quality
motorcycles and serving our customers. And we have always appreciated the
support of our Kansas City community,” Pflughoeft said.

He said under the circumstances, neither action by unions representing the
company's workers nor its congressional delegation are in a position to be
able to do much to reverse the plant decision. "If there was, we would
have reached out to discuss options," Pflughoeft said.

Last month, Milwaukee-based Harley announced it was shutting the Kansas
City plant, which has built some of its most popular motorcycles,
including the Softail line of bikes.

The world's largest maker of heavyweight motorcycles has struggled to
reverse a four-year sales slide, with growth overseas helping to offset a
decline in the U.S. bike market somewhat.

Harley says it's moving the Kansas City work to the company's plant in
York, Pa. The transfer will create about 400 jobs in York.

The move doesn’t affect Harley’s manufacturing plant in Menomonee Falls,
Wis., which builds motorcycle engines.

Harley’s Kansas City workforce includes employees who landed their jobs
when the plant opened about 20 years ago.

Tim Primeaux, who has worked at the plant for 17 years, said it’s a
lifelong goal for some people to build Harley-Davidson motorcycles,
affectionately called “Hogs.”

“I came from a small town where I actually slaughtered hogs (real ones).
And in my job interview with Harley, I told them I wanted to build Hogs. I
had that American dream, to work for the great American company,” Primeaux
said.

“There was a lot of pride when I left that slaughter plant and came to
Kansas City," he added.

Union officials are also applying pressure on Harley to keep the Kansas
City plant open.

"I’m sick of seeing our jobs disappear or turn into part-time work. ... I
am employing every resource necessary to assist Kansas City and our
membership," said Robert Martinez Jr., president of the Association of
Machinists and Aerospace Workers, which represents workers at the Kansas
City plant.

Unions kill more jobs.

truck.

of the Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.