Tire pressure

Peter Bichelmeir

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
Hi guys,

I bought a '97 1200 custom in the Philippines. Unfortunatly there isn't
a dealer here. I still have the original dunlop tires. I have been
getting conflicting advice on tire pressure. A friend who says I should
inflate to 21& 23 PSI for the front and back respectively. The marking
on the Dunlops says 40PSI. Any experienced advice.

Thanks

Az Barber

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
I like to run my tires pretty close to the max listed on the sidewall... I'd
say 36-38 on the rear and 36 on the front.

Az
--
AH #56
http://home.mindspring.com/~azbarber/

Tom Hendrick

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99

Peter Bichelmeir wrote in message <376A5AA4...@skyinet.net>...
>Hi guys,
>
>I bought a '97 1200 custom in the Philippines. Unfortunatly there isn't
>a dealer here. I still have the original dunlop tires. I have been
>getting conflicting advice on tire pressure. A friend who says I should
>inflate to 21& 23 PSI for the front and back respectively. The marking
>on the Dunlops says 40PSI. Any experienced advice.
>
>Thanks

Peter - Pretty sure the manual says 30/36 - Tom

HEMET WING

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Manual for a '99 says
Solo rider Front 30 rear 36
rider and passenger Front 30 Rear
40>Subject: Re: Tire pressure
>From: "Tom Hendrick" <nap...@saber.net>
>Date: Fri, 18 June 1999 08:32 AM EDT

doug jones

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <376A5AA4...@skyinet.net>,

Peter Bichelmeir <bigw...@skyinet.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I bought a '97 1200 custom in the Philippines. Unfortunatly there
isn't
> a dealer here. I still have the original dunlop tires. I have been
> getting conflicting advice on tire pressure. A friend who says I
should
> inflate to 21& 23 PSI for the front and back respectively. The
marking
> on the Dunlops says 40PSI. Any experienced advice.
>
> Thanks

First, don't listen to your friend if you want your tires to last. Your
weight and brand of tires could make a difference, but a good rule of
thumb to follow is just remember 36,40,7 which means.
36 lbs in the front, 40 lbs in the rear and check the tire pressure
every 7 days for long tire life.
doug

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Patrick Zambori

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Peter Bichelmeir wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I bought a '97 1200 custom in the Philippines. Unfortunatly there isn't
> a dealer here. I still have the original dunlop tires. I have been
> getting conflicting advice on tire pressure. A friend who says I should
> inflate to 21& 23 PSI for the front and back respectively. The marking
> on the Dunlops says 40PSI. Any experienced advice.
>
> Thanks

My suggestion? 21 inch wheel, run 40psi. 19's run 38 psi. front 16's run
36 psi. rear 16's run 36 psi for light bikes and 40 psi for the heavy
bikes. Patrick

Remove *nospam* to reply
HD Dealer Technician at your service......
My Employer's site: http://www.wishd.com (need Javascript on)
My site: http://www.execpc.com/~patrickz/patricksite.htm
1999 FLHT (road king to be) 1966 HD Sprint Model H
* wrench to ride, ride to live, live to wrench *

David L. Aldridge

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99

http://www.dunloptire.com/cycle/tcm.html#pressure
--
David L. Aldridge
http://harleyrider.maxen.net/

Boz

Jun 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/24/99
Last year at the freedom rally a tire company promotion checked a lot of
tires and found that most didn't have enough air pressure. I run mine at
30 & 35 respectively. I am sure there are different opinions about this.

Regards,
Boz

David L. Aldridge <d...@aldridge.com> wrote in message

Mark Kutil

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
The PSI figure on the tires is the MAXIMUM tire pressure and more often than
not, manufacturers have different specifcations for tire pressure.
Harley-Davidson and Dunlop work together to manufacture tires specifically
for Harley-Davidson motorcycles which is why the motor company only
recommends Dunlops. I have the official Harley-Davidson/Dunlop Tire
Application chart but unfortunately the listing for the XLH 1200 only covers
the 91-94 model years, however, if the description matches your tire data,
then you can go with it:
Rim size-front: 2.15x19
Rim size-rear 3.00x16
Original Equipment-front: D401 100/90-19
Original Equipment-rear D401 130/90B16
P.S.I. - front: 30
P.S.I. - rear (light load): 36
P.S.I. - rear (extra load): 40
Approved replacement-front: D401 100/90-19
Approved replacement-rear: D401 130/90B16
Inflation pressures same as previous.

According to H-D Service Bulletin M-1019 (M-1068 may cover your model year
but I'm trying to get a hold of it) for 1991-92 XLH models:

Dunlop K181 (raised white letter, RWL) or K291T (blackwall, BW)-front:
Tire size-front: MJ90-19
Front Inflation pressure (cold) for solo rider and rider with passenger: 26
psi

Tire size-front: MM90-19
Front Inflation pressure (cold) for solo rider and rider with passenger: 30
psi

D401 Elite S/T
Tire size-front: 100/90 -19 57H
Front Inflation pressure (cold) for solo rider and rider with passenger: 30
psi

Dunlop K181 (RWL & BW)-rear:
Tire size-rear: MT90-16
Rear inflation pressure for solo rider: 30 psi, rider with passenger: 32 psi

Dunlop K291T (single white stripe)-rear
Tire size-rear: MT90-16
Rear inflation pressure for solo rider: 36 psi, rider with passenger: 40 psi

D401 Elite S/T
Tire size-rear: 130/90B16 73H
Front Inflation pressure (cold) for solo rider: 36 psi, rider with
passenger: 40 psi

Peter Bichelmeir <bigw...@skyinet.net> wrote in message